Amsterdam

Started by The Gs Man, November 05, 2007, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Me and the missus are thinking of going for a few days in January.

Anyone recommend any decent hotels central to everything, including Red Light District, Coffee shops etc.  I need to de-stress big-time.   :-*
Keep 'er lit

An Fear Rua

what sorta money do you want to spend?
Im working in the dam at the moment, hotels can be quite basic, areas near the red etc are on Damstrat and the Rokin, very busy areas.
I can recommend the American Hotel in Leidseplein, about 10 mins on tram from central station and  the Red Light, but right beside all the museums and shops etc, nice area, and afew irish bars there (Aran and Dan Murphys)
check all hotels here
http://www.hotels.nl/
if you see any on there you like the look of post it up and I can hopefully tell where its near etc
Its Grim up North

The Gs Man

Don't want to spend a complete fortune as it'll just be shortly after Christmas and money will be tight enough, but I don't wanna end up in some hell-hole either.  No more than 200 quid for two nights bed and breakfast would probably be my limit.

I'll have a wee nosey at that site now.  Cheers.
Keep 'er lit

Our Nail Loney

i went to the dam, it was mad then tommy hamill shot a boy i i

hitzelsperger

is that mossy hamill from port-ay-down...i hear hes signed for glenavon

el_cuervo_fc

Hotel Amsterdam De Roode Leeuw 

I stayed in this one a few months back, very nice, right beside Dam Square.  think it was €140 for 2 nights

http://www.amsterdam-hotels-guide.com

illdecide

I was actually pricing it for Jan/Feb as well and i got flights with Aer-Lingus return and a 4* hotel for £210 for 2 adults all in (bed and breakfast) the hotels were "Von Del", "Artemis" and "Dieportvancleve"

Saying we are both from Lurgan you can give me a lift to the airport :P :P Only messin i am actually deciding between Amsterdam or New York for Jan and i hafta see how the budget goes over the next 3-4 weeks
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Billys Boots

Quotehttp://www.ambassade-hotel.nl/eng/

I stayed in a suite here with the missus about two years ago, it was really nice - it was about £300 for two nights, but well worth the brownie points.  I stayed in the hotel itself another time, but the rooms are smallish and much cheaper.  Great town to wander around.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Gs Man

Can't wait to visit the Supper Club.   :o
Keep 'er lit

Donagh

An amazing spot. Usually serve up a seven to ten course meal while you watch a show. No menus, if you don't like the course there'll be another along in a while. They only do one sitting a night so you usually need to book a week or two in advance – phone number should be available from the website. 

Re somewhere to stay. I've always found it best to get an apartment or house boat (though that could be chilly in Jan) as most of the hotels are pokey and overpriced. I'd recommend these people (http://www.amsterdamsnug.com/) – always very hospitable – fill the fridge up for you and leave loads of dvds, music and muchies around.

ludermor

just had a look at the worlds best bar site and the amount of shite on it for dublin is unreal. this is the list of dublin bars ( sorry for hi-jacking the thread, is there a dublin pub thread?)
aka   (Dublin)
Bar Mizu   (Dublin)
Café en Seine   (Dublin)
Cocoon   (Dublin)
Dakota Bar   (Dublin)
Dylan Hotel   (Dublin)
Inn on the Green   (Dublin)
Krystle   (Dublin)
Left Bank Bar   (Dublin)
Lillies Bordello   (Dublin)
Market Bar   (Dublin)
No. 4 Dame Lane   (Dublin)
Odeon   (Dublin)
Pravda   (Dublin)
Ron Blacks   (Dublin)
Sam Sara   (Dublin)
SIN   (Dublin)
Spy   (Dublin)
The Bailey   (Dublin)
The Front Lounge   (Dublin)
The Morrison Hotel   (Dublin)
The Octagon   (Dublin)
Traffic   (Dublin)
Zanzibar   (Dublin)

The only ones id venture would be 4 dame lane and dakota

Donagh

To be honest I've drank in most of those bars at some stage or other and to be fair, even though they might be a bit bland, they are at the upper end of what is available in Dublin – nice and safe for the tourists as well.

Drumanee 1

the banana club is top notch ;)

ludermor

but they are not good bars! (as the website says!) there are grand if your dolled up tot he nines and want to pose and pout for the night but they are no McDaids, Grogans, Mulligans etc
And i have been known to down a few cocktails in the octagon bar and the morrison but was under duress