Don't get me started
13 (15.5%)
Egomainiac
25 (29.8%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Gnevin

Quote from: deiseach on November 06, 2007, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 06, 2007, 01:11:40 PM
That's simple untrue, it may not be of their agenda but GAA is played in the Rugby school in south Dublin

School, singular? When my brother was teaching in the King's Hospital, a school with a Liam McCarthy Cup winning captain as a past pupil (Declan Carr), the board of management simply ignored repeated requests for Gaelic games to be played in the school.

I should emphasise that I don't expect schools to play Gaelic games. But the dividends from GAA 'concessions' are non-existent. Apart from the the money, of course, which is nice.
Schools, south Dublin is fast becoming Dublin's hurling heart land
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: deiseach on November 06, 2007, 08:20:30 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 06, 2007, 01:12:37 AM
I would suggest that already it would be virtually impossible to trace any current or future decline in GAA membership, skill levels, profitability or social standing to the opening up of Croke Park. And I think that deep down, all the "no" people know this as well. Our games are in a healthy state of affairs - and should the wheels come off our attendance figures in 10 years time, there will be so many more relevant factors then than what happened at the start of this year.

One could just as easily ask where the flowering of good will and charity that those in the yes camp told us would accrue to the GAA has gone. No sooner than Croke Park was opened than the gates of Lansdowne Road, which we were told would be open to the GAA, clanged shut. It was ever thus. Pat Fanning pointed out before the vote on Rule 42 that when the GAA was debating for the final time whether to remove the Ban way back in 1971 that the GAA was told that rugby playing schools would allow Gaelic games to be played on their hallowed fields. We're still waiting.
Hear hear. Whatever about the Southside schools, the local rugby-playing school here (Sligo Grammar) doesn't let an O'Neills ball past its doors, despite two former GAA Presidents visiting it while on tours, and quite a number of decent footballers having attended there. Don't play soccer either though.

gerry

[I do not take any great joy in seeing other games in Croke Park, but was fully in support of the decision to open it up.
/code]maybe i am loss here, but why did you support the decision[code]
You mention other sports using it to market their wares, however, think of the massive PR disaster it would have been if we had said No!
when did we care what others thought

they needed us more than we needed them[/code]
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Jinxy

From hoganstand.com.

Kelly hails FAI and IRFU for stance on Rule 42 debate
08 November 2007

Former GAA President Sean Kelly has paid tribute to the FAI and the IRFU for keeping their counsel while the debate within the GAA over Rule 42 raged.

Kelly expressed his gratitude to both organisations while launching his new book last night (Wednesday) in Croke Park.

"I would have to pay tribute to both the IRFU and the FAI who were very respectful throughout the process and as a result we have come closer together," said Kelly.

"I was grateful to them for staying out of the argument at the time that debate was taking place over the motion for Rule 42 and that will always be appreciated."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Our Tommy Kenoy who first proposed the change in Rule 42 in respect of Croke Park reckons that amending the Rule saved the Peace Process esp when the English Rugby team played in Croke Park and didnt get their anthem booed.(Ros Herald this week)
Did ye ever hear such shite !!!!
You'd think the English anthem was booed every second year in Lansdowne since 1922 or whatever.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on November 08, 2007, 03:44:33 PM
From hoganstand.com.

Kelly hails FAI and IRFU for stance on Rule 42 debate
08 November 2007

Former GAA President Sean Kelly has paid tribute to the FAI and the IRFU for keeping their counsel while the debate within the GAA over Rule 42 raged.

Kelly expressed his gratitude to both organisations while launching his new book last night (Wednesday) in Croke Park.

"I would have to pay tribute to both the IRFU and the FAI who were very respectful throughout the process and as a result we have come closer together," said Kelly.

"I was grateful to them for staying out of the argument at the time that debate was taking place over the motion for Rule 42 and that will always be appreciated."
Why would they have to butt in, when the media was doing the work for them anyway? Another load of nonsense from Quisling Kelly.

Quote from: Rossfan on November 08, 2007, 07:17:40 PM
Our Tommy Kenoy who first proposed the change in Rule 42 in respect of Croke Park reckons that amending the Rule saved the Peace Process esp when the English Rugby team played in Croke Park and didnt get their anthem booed.(Ros Herald this week)
Did ye ever hear such shite !!!!
You'd think the English anthem was booed every second year in Lansdowne since 1922 or whatever.
And there's another. Christ some of the hyperbole surrounding the playing of GSTQ was/is cringeworthy. None more so than that journo on Q&A the week after the game equating it with the signing of the GFA, and describing it as a "Kennedy-like moment". Utter scutter altogether.

Hardy

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 09, 2007, 12:00:26 AM
Christ some of the hyperbole surrounding the playing of GSTQ was/is cringeworthy ... describing it as a "Kennedy-like moment".

Now that IS going way too far. Nothing surpasses the cringeworthiness of Brian Kennedy at Eurovison.

Great Leap Forward

Sean Kelly achieved what he set out to do in his 3 years in the post:

He got on TV a lot

He got rid of rule 42, thus making himself famous for doing so

He got a book deal out of it

The Lord of Luuuvre

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on November 09, 2007, 12:19:43 PM

He got on TV a lot

and a well-paying job as head of a quango
Greetings and salivations

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: The Lord of Luuuvre on November 09, 2007, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: Great Leap Forward on November 09, 2007, 12:19:43 PM

He got on TV a lot

and a well-paying job as head of a quango

Shit, I forgot about how he engineered another dossy career for himself. I am sure he will have plenty for free dinners in that post.