Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2015, 03:07:17 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 22, 2015, 02:40:57 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 22, 2015, 08:19:41 AM
Froch GGG would be amazing.  Used to like Froch years ago, but made a tube of himself the past few years and still cringing at his Mayweather interview.  GGG would knock him out pretty early.

Yeah, 'cos Froch has been really easy to knock out his whole career, hasn't he?

No he hasn't but he will be coming forward against the hardest puncher he will ever face.  Lesser punchers than GGG have wobbled him too.

Would love to see this fight. Would be a real rocky encounter. Wouldn't be surprised if Froch KO'd him in the 11/12 rounds. Its been 20 fights since GGG went the distance

I see Andre Ward is fighting Paul Smith next. Hard to believe its only Ward's 3rd fight since beating Froch in 2011

gallsman

Froch GGG would be amazing.  Used to like Froch years ago, but made a tube of himself the past few years and still cringing at his Mayweather interview.  GGG would knock him out pretty early.

No he hasn't but he will be coming forward against the hardest puncher he will ever face.  Lesser punchers than GGG have wobbled him too.

They haven't put him down though. Froch's chin is like granite and he's a much bigger man than Golovkin has faced to date. Think Froch should stop though, 37 and hasn't fought in a year. Would be a great fight though.

omaghjoe

Well the thing is Froch has a great chin and great heart and can hit quite hard but skill-wise he is a a very average boxer.
The first two are the main reasons he has got so far which says alot about their importance in boxing.

GGG tho is a supremely skillful boxer and punches like he's got a hammer in his hands, and contrary to popular believe he actually has a great defence but rarely uses it.
His chin and his heart tho remain to be tested. He has been in with some good punchers such as Curtis Stevens and he actually gave Monroe a few free shots on Saturday but the true test of his chin is when he gets a well timed shot from an unexpected angle

On the other hand I am not sure that Froch is the man to test him. The size difference and headstrong Froch may make it may be a different fight than most GGG fights but I think that GGG's skillset will help him deal with Froch comfortably.

Anyway nothing is agreed yet it would be a crazy fight for Froch to take as his farewell bout and total respect goes to the guy if he takes it

oakleaflad

Quote from: gallsman on May 22, 2015, 05:22:24 PM

They haven't put him down though. Froch's chin is like granite and he's a much bigger man than Golovkin has faced to date. Think Froch should stop though, 37 and hasn't fought in a year. Would be a great fight though.
Jermain Taylor and George Groves both had Froch down, he came back to win both in fairness. I agree, Froch should retire. Would still be a great fight though.

CiKe

This could be Hagler Hearns type stuff. Make no mistake about it, Froch hits hard and is naturally bigger man. Don't think he will but for some reason I think back to when he boxed the ears off Arthur Abraham. Now he ain't in same league as GGG but was recognised as a brutal puncher and Froch opted not to get involved.

gallsman

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 22, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 22, 2015, 05:22:24 PM

Jermain Taylor and George Groves both had Froch down, he came back to win both in fairness. I agree, Froch should retire. Would still be a great fight though.

Put him down for good is clearly what I meant ffs. Neither of those knockdowns were the type of ones that have him out on his feet, unaware of what's going on. The man is as tough as old boots. His comeback against Taylor was outrageous. Just doesn't know when he's beaten.

CiKe

Mike Perez knocked out inside of 2 minutes by Povetkin.

gallsman

Quote from: CiKe on May 23, 2015, 01:33:42 PM
Mike Perez knocked out inside of 2 minutes by Povetkin.

Perez's conditioning was appalling, as it has been in general for most of his career. The guy's heart just isn't in it.

BennyHarp

What's the thoughts on Degale v Dirrell tonight? I like Degale, well he's grown on me, and he has improved immensely since the loss to Groves. Don't know a huge pile about Dirrell other than his fight with Froch a few years ago when I was quite impressed. A few experts like Malinaggi seem to question his heart for the battle, so hopefully Degale can take him into a war. Plenty of decent fights these past few weeks.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2015, 02:22:04 PM
What's the thoughts on Degale v Dirrell tonight? I like Degale, well he's grown on me, and he has improved immensely since the loss to Groves. Don't know a huge pile about Dirrell other than his fight with Froch a few years ago when I was quite impressed. A few experts like Malinaggi seem to question his heart for the battle, so hopefully Degale can take him into a war. Plenty of decent fights these past few weeks.

Will be close I think. Dirrell a cut above anything DeGale has faced yet and DeGale a cut above anything Dirrell has faced in years. Dirrell looked in great shape at the weigh and think DeGale will have to put on an absolute clinic if he's to win without a KO.

He's grown on me the last could of years too. Doesn't seem as smug or something.

bridgegael

degale looks in great shape too, he didnt get his nickname for nothing.  like a couple on here, never really had much time for him but think he has matured a lot, he definately has the skilll to beat dirrel and i hope he does. should be a good fight.

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

STREET FIGHTER

Have changed my mind on DeGale as well.

Was very unlikeable....

Not sure how he's won most round...

Hope he can win tonight....makes a nice change to see it at a decent time.....

JimStynes

beer baron

De Gale should have this put to bed long ago. He'd wanna watch himself he's leaving himself very open everytime he goes in,not sure Dirrell's much left to land a big one on him though.

BennyHarp

Quote from: beer baron on May 23, 2015, 10:12:27 PM
De Gale should have this put to bed long ago. He'd wanna watch himself he's leaving himself very open everytime he goes in,not sure Dirrell's much left to land a big one on him though.

Was thinking the same myself! I hope Degale doesn't regret not putting this guy away earlier!
That was never a square ball!!