Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Framps will have his world title with something to spare after September 6th. Then he can worry about Quigg.

The Iceman

Can't wait for this one. I will be home on Irish soil and will definitely make the trip to Belfast for this!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 04, 2014, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on June 04, 2014, 02:32:34 PM
Who was the English fighter I heard on Talk sport last week saying he wanted to fight Frampton?  Was it scott quigg?   Was bumming himself up no end

Well he is a World Champion and Frampton isn't.

Based on what you have seen off Quigg and Carl who in your view would be the better boxer?

I was at the Kiko fight and Carl didn't have it all his own way, Kiko was pressing Carl for the majority of the fight and it was a decent scrap until Carl managed to knock him down (first person to have done that) Kiko was either level of not far off Carl on points up to the KO. whoever (like in the Froch - Groves fight) learns from the previous fight will win this next fight. I hope Carl takes the measured approach again and just wins.

I think then that would leave the door open for Quigg and Carl to fight for the other title. Very exciting times for Belfast boxing, some emerging talent coming through and the bill should be a lot better than the last one, the early fights were too one-sided.

As Kiko is the champion why have the fight in Belfast? is this because its the best venue for ticket sales? You'd prefer to have a home venue surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 04, 2014, 05:04:44 PM
Who was the English fighter I heard on Talk sport last week saying he wanted to fight Frampton?  Was it scott quigg?   Was bumming himself up no end

Based on what you have seen off Quigg and Carl who in your view would be the better boxer?

I was at the Kiko fight and Carl didn't have it all his own way, Kiko was pressing Carl for the majority of the fight and it was a decent scrap until Carl managed to knock him down (first person to have done that) Kiko was either level of not far off Carl on points up to the KO. whoever (like in the Froch - Groves fight) learns from the previous fight will win this next fight. I hope Carl takes the measured approach again and just wins.

I think then that would leave the door open for Quigg and Carl to fight for the other title. Very exciting times for Belfast boxing, some emerging talent coming through and the bill should be a lot better than the last one, the early fights were too one-sided.

As Kiko is the champion why have the fight in Belfast? is this because its the best venue for ticket sales? You'd prefer to have a home venue surely?

Hardly recall any big fights in Spain. Kiko has always travelled for his big fights, even when European champion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 05:13:54 PM

Hardly recall any big fights in Spain. Kiko has always travelled for his big fights, even when European champion.

I understand all that but as world champion you'd like to have the home crowd behind you surely. Either or it will be another close contest, Bookies will have Carl favourite but it will be a lot closer. Think Carl is ready for this and after a couple defences he could retire and get on the punditry circuit and make his money that way.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 04, 2014, 05:23:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2014, 05:13:54 PM

I understand all that but as world champion you'd like to have the home crowd behind you surely. Either or it will be another close contest, Bookies will have Carl favourite but it will be a lot closer. Think Carl is ready for this and after a couple defences he could retire and get on the punditry circuit and make his money that way.

Martinez wants the money, as do many world champions. If they're not from Germany, England, US they tend to either move there or fight their major fights there. Frampton is the oddity that proves the rule in a way. Money will always matter more than location when it comes to boxing.

All of a Sludden

www.youtube.com/embed/PFwA4jaSNZM

Limerick's Andy Lee produced the punch of his career to knock John Jackson out after taking an early beating on the Cotto-Martinez undercard at Madison Square Garden in New York.

John Jackson dropped Lee with a massive right hook in the first round and continued to punish him in the second.

Lee kept Jackson at bay with a long, stiff jab in the third but Jackson was controlling the fight.

It looked like Jackson was about to finish lee off when the Irishman unloaded a massive hybrid hook-uppercut on the chin that knocked Jackson completely unconscious and prompted a wild rush into the ring from concerned medical staff and cornermen.

The fight was Lee's first at Junior Middleweight and the win saw him crowned the NABF light middleweight champ.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/video-irelands-andy-lee-produces-devastating-knockout-to-stun-madison-square-garden-30337753.html
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Syferus

Incredible punch by Andy. He still isn't ready for another crack at the big time though.

bridgegael

chisora v fury on sat night is off.  chisora fractured hand in training today
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on July 21, 2014, 07:42:27 PM

Fury is having no luck with these opponents. His inactivity, which is no fault of his own, could really impact on his career. He's a knob but I do feel a bit sorry for him.
That was never a square ball!!

NAG1

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 21, 2014, 09:32:01 PM

Fury is having no luck with these opponents. His inactivity, which is no fault of his own, could really impact on his career. He's a knob but I do feel a bit sorry for him.

You ever see some of the stuff he puts up on twitter and sorry is not a word you would be associating with him any time soon.

Absolute gobshite

BennyHarp

Quote from: NAG1 on July 22, 2014, 12:04:24 PM

You ever see some of the stuff he puts up on twitter and sorry is not a word you would be associating with him any time soon.

Absolute gobshite

I don't bother much with Twitter. Just commenting on a boxer whose career has been badly interrupted over the past 24 months through no fault of his own. I am however aware that he is a knob, as I stated in my post, but I'm also aware that he is a self publicist who uses social media to increase his profile and therefore increase his marketability. I wouldn't be getting too upset by his comments.
That was never a square ball!!

NAG1

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 22, 2014, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 22, 2014, 12:04:24 PM

Absolute gobshite

I don't bother much with Twitter. Just commenting on a boxer whose career has been badly interrupted over the past 24 months through no fault of his own. I am however aware that he is a knob, as I stated in my post, but I'm also aware that he is a self publicist who uses social media to increase his profile and therefore increase his marketability. I wouldn't be getting too upset by his comments.

No, no need to get upset I guess unless you were Gay  ;)

AQMP

Interesting there in the British Empire Games.  In his semi final Michael Conlan was stopped in the 2nd round due to a bad cut but because it was caused by a clash of heads and Conlan was ahead on the judges cards at the time, he goes through to the final.  The amateurs have stopped wearing headguards.

Paddy Barnes has said that it's harder to win the National Championships than win a medal at the Empire Games.  At least we think that's what he said.

AQMP

Just saw Sean Duffy from Keady come in to the ring behind the Loyalist Banner with a tricolour tattooed on his arm!

Duffy and McGlinchey both got their pans knocked in.