Author Topic: Books  (Read 110190 times)

ziggy90

• Waiting for manna coming from the west.
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1170 on: March 05, 2019, 05:19:32 PM »
Anyone on here have any recommendations for books on the ancient Greek classics? I've a bit more time on my hands these days and have a bit of a hankering to study them.

You get sorted Ziggy? Had the need to read a few of these books for A Level (that wasn't today or yesterday). Herodotus Histories always a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Histories-Penguin-Classics-Herodotus/dp/0140449086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551795784&sr=8-1&keywords=herodotus+histories

The Iliad and Odyssey are good stories too.

I've recently finished the Stephen Fry books Mythos and Heroes and they are very good if you have an interest in the Mythology side of things.

No LB I didn't bother as I went back to work but I've just finished up as job and I'm going to have a few weeks off and will get stuck into these.
Thanks for the head's up.
Looking forward to Sunday and a good old tear-up with our neighbours!!  ;)
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #1171 on: March 05, 2019, 05:30:22 PM »

Not so good when you had to translate them.  Can't remember what they were, but remember that's when I was a Callow ut.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 05, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Anyone on here have any recommendations for books on the ancient Greek classics? I've a bit more time on my hands these days and have a bit of a hankering to study them.

You get sorted Ziggy? Had the need to read a few of these books for A Level (that wasn't today or yesterday). Herodotus Histories always a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Histories-Penguin-Classics-Herodotus/dp/0140449086/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551795784&sr=8-1&keywords=herodotus+histories

I've recently finished the Stephen Fry books Mythos and Heroes and they are very good if you have an interest in the Mythology side of things.

No LB I didn't bother as I went back to work but I've just finished up as job and I'm going to have a few weeks off and will get stuck into these.
Thanks for the head's up.
Looking forward to Sunday and a good old tear-up with our neighbours!!  ;)

Thankfully with Jack back I can look forward to it too. Shocking without him.

ziggy90

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 05, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »
Jack the Rat looks good but hopefully Rentokill will lend us an exterminator.  ;)

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 17, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
It was well talked about a while ago on this thread but I finally got round to reading "I heard you paint houses" by Charles Brandt.  Thanks very much for the recommendation as I have to say it's probably the best true crime book I have ever read.  I hope the upcoming Scorsese film does it justice.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:15:20 PM by lurganblue »

ziggy90

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 17, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »

Just finished these LB. A very enjoyable and informative read but I think you'd need a PhD in genealogy to follow the family tree's of this lot. Fry has a very easy way of explaining the oracles etc but I do think he thinks we're all "plebs".
All in all a great recommendation for a starter, thanks for the head's up.
Now for a bit of the in-depth stuff.  :o