Quantas Airline to Sponsor Laois

Started by Bud Wiser, November 03, 2007, 08:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

If Quantas Airlines are not the sponsors of Laois this year they should.  Them Aussie f**kers have persuaded Brendan Quigley to return to play with Cartlon and he is flying out in two weeks.  Colm Begley is remaining in Australia and now, worst news of all is the fact that they have targeted Zach Tuohy, he who scored goal of the year against Derry in the Minor All-Ireland.  He is reported to be going out after he completes his school certificate, aptly called, The Leaving.

With Fergal Byron after announcing his retirement, Begley, Quigley and Tuohy on the move this is a serious chunk of our team that have dissapeared and don't be surprised if Donie Kingston doesn't do the same.

Tough times ahead for our little county with only a few clubs to pick a county team from.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

magickingdom

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 03, 2007, 08:52:10 AM
If Quantas Airlines are not the sponsors of Laois this year they should.  Them Aussie f**kers have persuaded Brendan Quigley to return to play with Cartlon and he is flying out in two weeks.  Colm Begley is remaining in Australia and now, worst news of all is the fact that they have targeted Zach Tuohy, he who scored goal of the year against Derry in the Minor All-Ireland.  He is reported to be going out after he completes his school certificate, aptly called, The Leaving.

With Fergal Byron after announcing his retirement, Begley, Quigley and Tuohy on the move this is a serious chunk of our team that have dissapeared and don't be surprised if Donie Kingston doesn't do the same.

Tough times ahead for our little county with only a few clubs to pick a county team from.

Not good news at all..Is it confirmed about Quigley and Touhy?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

orangeman

Burn the passport office - at under 12 training take their passports off them and give them bakc at around 25 !

time ticking away

Donie Kingston would be a huge loss.. what a minor
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Bud Wiser

Tuohy, Quigley and Begley are confirmed and there are a few of the Mayo lads going as well. 

There was a story one time about when president Kennedy went back to Dunganstown and he had to get up on an old trailer to make a speech.  The boys were setting up the big microphone and across the road a farmer was loading a tractor and trailer with cowshite. One of Kenneds men, not knowing the mike was switched on asked Kennedey, "Whar is that stuff they are loading in the opoen truck sir" and Kennedy said, "It is cowshite, and if my grandfather had not come to America I would be shovelling it instead of him" which to the amusement of all those in the peaked caps sucking on the woodbines came out over the speaker.

Well it is the same with the young lads. Just put yourself in their position and think what it would be like lying in bed that night after the phone call from Australia?  Imagine the thoughts and dreams that would be going through your head, a new life, thousands of dollars and your pick of the Sheila's?  Would I give it all up for Bord Na Mona or packing meat in Glanbia or Kepak - and of course having to read The Herald.  Bloody sure I would. So it is not player disloyalty, don't blame the young lads and it is not our call to suggest they be banned from the GAA or anything else, we have no right to run their lives from a discussion board.

So what do we do?  Well I will suggest what we should do.  The GAA should set up an Enterprise Board similar to the government one that is already in place.  It would be for players who have been sucessful at minor level and who are completing their leaving certificate.  Instead of "looking after them" by securing a job with Paddy Joe Hickey, until they are finished playing and then dumped, a facility in coaching them to run their own business, whetehr it be importing and distributing stainless steel for cow milking parlours or building their own design of computer should be available - and through government sponsored funds instead of this GPA selective shite that is going on.

Full support on how to set up accounting, financial support, capital equipment grants on a pay back like exists and an embroyonic system to get young lads up and riunning shoulkd be in place and what a credit to the GAA that would be, and it would not be hard to implement because if Dessie Farrel can get lads from Galway and Castlebar to drive to Boyle in Roscommon to listen to him waffle on about what he is going to do for them then a properly structured GAA Enterprise Board would be a doddle, particulary at a time when between 80% - 95% of franchises in this country are either Brit or American owned, seems all we can make are sanwitches and if your name is O'Brien you are ok.

The plain and simple fact is that there should be more to life for a young lad who is bright, alert, fit and ready to make a go of it here other than looking up flights to Australia.  With all due respect to FAS the answer is not to be found learning how to talk into a phone using a banana or being given menial jobs with supplementary wages. Give them free executive level training and help and encouragement to stay here and to run their own business instead of paltry handouts from Dessie Farrell or jobs as high profile sales reps for Brit companies but only for as long as their popularity lasts.

Thats what I think anyway.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

Good ideas there Budwiser - food for thought. But is there anyone listening ?

Bud Wiser

Well I remember last year they were going to have a national hurling coach or someone going around the country in a big car and there is nothing wrong with that. So why not get a professional guy that can help young lads set up their own business. Recently a contributor on the board was setting up his own company and he was seeking advice on what he should call it and colour schemes for a van etc.  Now just suppose he was a really good footballer and he was thinking of going to Australia and someone stepped in with a match funding grant and said right, heres how you do it and they give him a full start up package and a list of contacts to get him up and running.  A small capital expenses grant that would be interest free and repayable could be an option but the idea that I am suggesting would have to be thought through. 

orangeman

I think you're idea is brilliant - but is there anyone out there listening - write to Nicky Brennan and share the idea please - let me know if you get a reply !

dodo

I see what you are on about Bud. Presently there are third level education scolarships for talented GAA players, but for young and upcoming players who are not focused on furthering their formal education I'm unaware of any assistance being offered. Their profile enables them to benefit in the job market or trades but an attractive offer from Oz would be very hard to refuse regardless.
Your proposal to offer non-interest capital loans and advice to start up their own businesses is unrealistic as these lads would be too young and lacking in the knowledge and experience to run their own enterprises. I know you have stated that your idea is not the finished article but here lies the problem as there is very little to stop lads from heading to Oz for a potential professional career if the offer is good enough.
I'm personally disappointed that Pierse Hanley is heading/gone as I have never been as impressed by a young Mayo player at his age. To see by your original post that there are possibly other Mayo lads about to go doesn't exactly fill me with joy either. For a county like Laois to be loosing 3/4 players after all the work that has been put in by the various coaches must be disheartening. Good luck to these players in whatever is in store for them.

Rossfan

Quote from: dodo on November 04, 2007, 07:24:23 PM

I'm personally disappointed that Pierse Hanley is heading/gone ................there are possibly other Mayo lads about to go .....

Hanley is a Ros lad. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dodo

Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2007, 08:02:18 PM

I'm personally disappointed that Pierse Hanley is heading/gone ................there are possibly other Mayo lads about to go .....

Hanley is a Ros lad. ;)

Hanley is now a Brisbane Lion  :(

But he'll always of had the honour of playing minor, u-21 and senior for Mayo  8)

Rossfan

If he'd had a choice he would have played for his own County ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ludermor

I'm personally disappointed that Pierse Hanley is heading/gone as I have never been as impressed by a young Mayo player at his age. To see by your original post that there are possibly other Mayo lads about to go doesn't exactly fill me with joy either. For a county like Laois to be loosing 3/4 players after all the work that has been put in by the various coaches must be disheartening. Good luck to these players in whatever is in store for them.

Cant say i agree witht that at all. The coaches dont have a monopoly on what a young lad does and if they are bitter to see someone go to do other things they should get out of the game. They should (and im sure they do)have pride when they see the likes of Kennely and Clarke on the big screen doing well in Oz and im sure there clubs managers down the years would be bursting with pride that they are just a little bit responsible for their achievments.

tayto

Jesus lads what a blow for Laois, this is getting annoying-worrying. Begley, Quigley and Tuohy are good but Kingston is something else.