Live Albums

Started by downredblack, November 02, 2007, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Dylan and The Band - Before The Flood
The Band - The Last Waltz
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Springsteen - some good live albums, but the better quality bootlegs are better e.g. Winterland or The Roxy from the Darkness tour, The Bottom Line from the Born to Run tour.

SammyG

hoopsaaa

Live Evil - Black Sabbath
Led Zepplin re mastered Live BBC Sessions
s&m - Metallica
Nirvana - Unplugged
Deep Purple live in Japna
Rainbow - Live in Munich
Megadeth: That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires

the colonel

there was something to do with REM changing record labels and they were never allowed to use all material for a live or even greatest hits album

i loved christy live at vicar street

the difference between success and failure is energy

Chrisowc

Quote from: Mentalman on November 02, 2007, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: downredblack on November 02, 2007, 12:29:23 PM
Plenty of  the aul " Heavy metal "so far lads .

Bought an Iron Maiden album once on the strength of the Lucozade Add . Not my cup of tea .

Well I suppose your liking any live album is predicated on liking the band really. What I would say is you wouldn't have to like heavy metal to like the Metallica one, the addition of the orchestra is brilliant, songs like Nothing Else Matters are taken to another level. Are they considered heavy metal these days anyway? As they say themselves they've sold out - every stadium on every continent of their tours.

As for Maiden, like I said, a misspent youth. IMHO that was them at thier zenith, which might nt have been that great to start with, but they disappeared up their holes after that.

Only to return twenty years later with some of the best material they have written on 'Brave New World' and 'Dance of Death'.  Last years 'A Matter of Life and Death' is as good as 'Number of the Beast'.

Beat me to it re S&M.  Outstanding.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

gaagaa

Quote from: westmayo on November 02, 2007, 12:33:28 PM
Isn't Lizzy's live and dangerous not a proper live album and has the crowd noise dubbed onto it

they redid most of the guitars - classic rock did great article on it recently

journey live not bad too

Louth Exile

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Mentalman

Quote from: Chrisowc on November 02, 2007, 05:03:25 PM

Only to return twenty years later with some of the best material they have written on 'Brave New World' and 'Dance of Death'.  Last years 'A Matter of Life and Death' is as good as 'Number of the Beast'.

Sounds like you area bit of a fan Chris. Haven't heard any of their recent stuff, gave up after "7th Son", "Be Quick or Be Dead" etc. Will try out the more recent offerings now though.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

SammyG

Quote from: westmayo on November 02, 2007, 12:33:28 PM
Isn't Lizzy's live and dangerous not a proper live album and has the crowd noise dubbed onto it

There wouldn't be many albums on this list, if you removed all the ones that had overdubs, re-done guitars, re-done vocal takes etc. Either that or you get 3 or 4 concerts cut together to make one album.

dec

Chrisowc

Quote from: Mentalman on November 02, 2007, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on November 02, 2007, 05:03:25 PM

Sounds like you area bit of a fan Chris. Haven't heard any of their recent stuff, gave up after "7th Son", "Be Quick or Be Dead" etc. Will try out the more recent offerings now though.

I didn't bother with the Blaze era, though all those albums have at least one classic too, and some of the Blaze stuff makes the set list today.  Those 3 albums with Bruce back are definately worth getting hold of.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Balboa

Quote from: SammyG on November 02, 2007, 01:08:17 PM
Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
It's Alive - The Ramones
Christy at the Point - Christy Moore
15 and Counting - SLF

And totally agree with the previous comments, the new REM live album isn't much cop at all. I've seen them a few times and have a few bootlegs that are better than the official album.

Slightly off topic Sammy but i read yesterday that a woman that used to manage the Ramones, Linda Stein, was found murdered in her apartment in New York.

rolloutking

Green Day - Bullet In A Bible
Blink 182 - The Mark, Tom & Travis Show
Foo Fighters - Skin & Bones

but the best has to be

Oasis - Familiar To Millions

Shamrock Shore

For me, has to be:

Horslips - The Belfast Gigs.

Did I dream this or did SammyG's say his arm is on the cover?

mayo51

cannot believe nobody has mentioned alchemy live by dire straits. as far as i know it is one of the few live albums that was not brought back to the studio for re dubbing .