Murdering Babies

Started by pintsofguinness, November 01, 2007, 07:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

QuoteA young fetus is not tangible enough for me anyway to get overly emotional about it's existence in the world whenever countless trillions of possible sperm/egg combinations don't make it every single day.
But the point is that this individuals sperm/egg combination has come about, against the odds, and people, mostly for selfish reasons, deny him/her a life. 

I can't believe that you view scans, hear your baby's heart beat, know your baby is moving and feel nothing. 
And if, God forbid, lost the child early on you'd get over it in a short period. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 04, 2007, 02:12:45 AM
QuoteA young fetus is not tangible enough for me anyway to get overly emotional about it's existence in the world whenever countless trillions of possible sperm/egg combinations don't make it every single day.
But the point is that this individuals sperm/egg combination has come about, against the odds, and people, mostly for selfish reasons, deny him/her a life. 

I can't believe that you view scans, hear your baby's heart beat, know your baby is moving and feel nothing. 
And if, God forbid, lost the child early on you'd get over it in a short period. 

I find myself in the same boat as skull. While i was very proud of the embryo and showed pictures of the scans to friends and family, its only really in the last couple of weeks as we prepare for baby puckoon that im finding the bond becoming noticeable. I think what skull is saying is that the longer a child grows with you, the more attached you become with it. I think if any parent was faced (very hypothetically) with a choice of losing a child at birth, or losing a child at four years of age - they'd pick birth every time. relationships and love with your children increase with time (until a point). Im not saying its a short period of grief, but id take losing a child at birth over losing a child in later years - god forbid.

theskull1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 04, 2007, 02:12:45 AM

It depends on what perspective you take when you look at the mathematical probabilities doesn't it. If a women is at that stage in the month where she's most fertile, then the probability of something happening is very high. The fact that one sperm in millions wins the race won't be considered. People getting pregnant can be down to a mish mash of reasons.  Drunkenness (even the planned ones  :)), stupidity, thoughtlessness or even being plain unlucky etc all play a part in the baby making that takes place today. It will not be everybody that instantly thinks ....."oh what were the chances of that? That must mean it is special.". The probability of women who get pregnant thinking that their child is precious will be high...but it will never be 100% an never has been. Abortion caters for some of those who don't think it is precious I guess

Oh yeah...forgot...the scan was pretty good, but after a couple of days I didn't think about it. I wasn't emotionally attached at that stage. Maybe that says more about me than anything else but what it should prove to you pints are that there are people in the world who have a different emotional take on this world and that that shouldn't make them bad people for being that way

Yes Puckoon has explained my position fairly well there
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pintsofguinness

QuoteIt depends on what perspective you take when you look at the mathematical probabilities doesn't it. If a women is at that stage in the month where she's most fertile, then the probability of something happening is very high. The fact that one sperm in millions wins the race won't be considered getting pregnant can be down to a mish mash of reasons.  Drunkenness (even the planned ones  Smiley), stupidity, thoughtlessness or even being plain unlucky etc all play a part in the baby making that takes place today. It will not be everybody that instantly thinks ....."oh what were the chances of that? That must mean it is special.". The probability of women who get pregnant thinking that their child is precious will be high...but it will never be 100% an never has been. Abortion caters for some of those who don't think it is precious I guess
I realise that not everyone is overjoyed to hear they're pregant but our society should not give them the option to deny life because they won't face the consquences.  Even young teenagers know if they have sex there is a chance they will get pregant (or get someone pregant) and no form of contraception is 100%!  I can't think of anything else you would do, so serious, that you wouldn't have to face the consequences. 

Snowed Under

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 04, 2007, 12:22:20 AM
I don't have to be in the situation to know that there are few circumstance so bad that it's worth denying life to an unborn child.

So are you using man made methods of contraceptive in your choice not to have children and thus denying life to an unborn child?  Fact is it this is not a black and white area!

pintsofguinness

QuoteSo are you using man made methods of contraceptive in your choice not to have children and thus denying life to an unborn child?
There is no child to deny a life to. 

his holiness nb

This youngfella lad seems to be of the opinion that our religion has beaten anti abortion sentiment into us over years of schooling.
I went to catholic school and can honestly say I cant remember this topic ever coming up in school.

I made up my mind on this as an informed adult, nothing to do with religion.

Also its been said here "from a feminist point of view" or "look at it from the womans side" etc etc in the arguments for abortion.
This is a sneaky way to bolster your argument as it almost hints that women are likely to be for abortion.

We all know this is very much not the case.

Some of the comments on this thread sadden me and shows that we will come up with any excuse "not yet a life" etc to mask the matter that many many people will happily kill unborn children to save themselves the inconvenience. Dress it up any way you like, but thats how it is.

Yes its different in EXTREME cases, but most cases arent extreme.
Ask me holy bollix

gaagirl

being a girl and having had a scare after being raped I can say that it is a very though decision for a girl to go through.  And it is not a decision that others should judge the mother on.

At the time there are a lot of decisions to think about. 
What is best for the mother
What is best for the unborn child.

It is not a religious decision at all.  It is what your own personal view on life is.
Thankfully I didn't have to make the decision in the end but personally I feel that life is too important to have it taken away before it had it has even had a chance to survive.  If it had happened then I would have had the baby and dealt with the problems which may have occurred as a single parent afterwards but the child would have deserved that at least.

pintsofguinness

Well said and a very brave move to come on and speak about it.

pintsofguinness

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7396817.stm

At least our politicans are doing something useful for a change.
Poor argument from the it's fine to kill babies front.