Anyone ever been on long-term sick leave?

Started by deiseach, November 01, 2007, 01:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

It'd be great to catch up on reading, learn some new video-editing/foreign language on-line or broaden one's horizons. If I knew I was going to be out for a while and was capable of moving around and staying focused for a while, I'd set some kind of targets that'd enhance my life be it spiritually, psychologically or intellectually.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bud Wiser

Deiseach, you'll be sound in no time. You are still sharp as a lance with the posts and I noticed one there a week or so back about my name you used !  :D  You have the right attitude, keep 'er lit. That is important, very important and talk to people.  As you know I was diagnosed with the big C in Feb and have kinda gone through the same procedure. Today I am back working again because I got lots of support and not least from the members of this board and friends of mine and without talking to them I could have easily reached for the dressing gown and the slippers and became an expert in Countdown and all that.

I don't know your circumstances, ie, married single, children etc.  One of the things that seems to be on your mind is that your employer has to pay you while you are off work. I didn't have that concern because I am self employed but I am sure you are aware that there is a Disability Alllowance Scheme (Not Disability Benefit) and you would qualify for this.  After six months you can return to work on a gradual basis and if you have a fear about this then what happens is you get the full allowance for one year, along with full wages from your employer, 75% allowance (along with wages)the next year and so on.  You may not want to do this but the system is there and it might take pressure off you.

I used to set dates ahead and what I would likely be doing on that date, one of which unfortunately was being on The Square in Portlaoise in June drinking out of the Delany Cup ! Nervous?  I'd be a complete liar to say I wasn't nervous, even driving at times or picking up an electric drill to drill a hole in something at work there would be a barrier but this is where you have to adapt the Dan Shanahan strategy - go for it, I was told to do not what I felt like doing but what my body felt like doing so keep the head up and push on, I know you will.

I wish you the very best, keep positive and you will be right as rain in no time at all.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

deiseach

Cheers, Bud Wiser - if that is your real name. I knew you weren't well but I didn't know what it was. Good to hear you are on the mend. I'm most definitely on the mend, anyone who is familiar with GBS or has Googled it can be assured that my case was not particularly virulent, although with this condition that means it was pretty bad. I have no concerns regarding pay or social welfare, the company has paid my salary without question and are not putting me under any pressure, not even subtly, to go back to work. The only reason I posted this thread was to get testimonials from people who were out of work as I am a wee bit concerned that I might end up malingering. When I went to their doctor to discuss it, he suggested a return date of four weeks down the line and I asked for only two weeks grace. I then immediately regretted it, thinking "why am I giving up what is effectively two weeks paid holidays?" But it's that attitude that concerns me. I don't want to become one of those guys who is always 'almost ready' but something comes up every time. It seems it is an issue, but I am going back on a four hour day for a week, then six, then back up to eight in the third week, so hopefully it'll work out. There is a chance that the company won't find that acceptable, but no one (not least myself) will be able to accuse me of shirking it.

ONeill - I have broadeded my horizons. You can see the world with an Xbox 360 ;D

J70

I take it doing a bit of work from home is not an option?

deiseach

Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2007, 09:19:02 PM

No, and I wouldn't want that. I never want a job where work can follow me home.

magickingdom

glad your on the mend, at the risk of sounding flippant you'll be working long enough so drag it out as long as you can.

redhandluke

Good to hear your feeling better.

You asked "did you find it hard to get back into the swing of things?"

I work in a professional capacity and was of with Depression for 3.5 years  :( (not sure why as Tyrone won 2 AI in that time  ;D), but my biggest difficulty was returning to work and being associated with the stigma of Depression - I felt before I returned, people would probably keep their distance etc etc, but through the use of a cognitive therapist, she make me aware that each and every person has their own difficulties in life and ok after the initial day or two I can honestly say things were back to normal after that - no probs.

The one thing I would say and which I done was to return to work gradually, say 3-4 hours for the first couple of weeks until about 8 weeks later back on a full time basis.

Keep er lit.

muppet

A family member had GBS and we had a very scary period where no doctor had a clue what was wrong. The paralysis kept spreading until a doctor recognised it and prescribed the proper treatment and the girl in question made a full recovery. Best of luck with it Deiseach.

To answer your question I was once off sick for 6 weeks (mandatory for a broken bone in my job) and I was begging the doctors to go back after 4. I am a lazy man but it drove me crazy. If you feel up to it go back even part time as an earlier poster advised.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: deiseach on November 01, 2007, 09:21:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2007, 09:19:02 PM

No, and I wouldn't want that. I never want a job where work can follow me home.

Best of luck with it. I'm sure you're looking forward to the day when you can play a bit of ball again (assuming you're not an auld fella!).

stew

Quote from: ONeill on November 01, 2007, 07:48:10 PM
It'd be great to catch up on reading, learn some new video-editing/foreign language on-line or broaden one's horizons. If I knew I was going to be out for a while and was capable of moving around and staying focused for a while, I'd set some kind of targets that'd enhance my life be it spiritually, psychologically or intellectually.

I changed jobs a while back there and have to travel an hour to work and back every day and I was listening to sports talk radio both coming up and down the road, three weeks ago I bought a set of cd's and I am learning Spanish from them, it is slow going but I excited to know that six months from now I should have the language pretty much mastered and I will be able to converse with our spansish speaking customers instead of calling the language line for help.

The downside is i havent a clue what is going on with A-Rods next contract. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.