Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 648757 times)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12555 on: May 14, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Yeah, when there's 4 seconds on the clock, they should really just keep working away until they get an open look or a simple layup.

Same in American football. I mean, nobody should ever try a hail Mary when there's an open slant route to pick you up 4 yards. Or try an onside kick. They almost never work.

Slightly missing the point I feel. Reaction to it sends out the wrong message "Kawhi called the series" was the main comment. Meaning he took it into his own hands and decided - I'm going to win this. He got lucky. Sports media is full of all these terms like clutch and bottler which are largely bullsit narratives. He's probably a victim to this and felt he HAD to do this as he's the big name player. I strongly disagree with it.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: May 14, 2019, 01:34:58 PM »
Yeah, when there's 4 seconds on the clock, they should really just keep working away until they get an open look or a simple layup.

Same in American football. I mean, nobody should ever try a hail Mary when there's an open slant route to pick you up 4 yards. Or try an onside kick. They almost never work.

Slightly missing the point I feel. Reaction to it sends out the wrong message "Kawhi called the series" was the main comment. Meaning he took it into his own hands and decided - I'm going to win this. He got lucky. Sports media is full of all these terms like clutch and bottler which are largely bullsit narratives. He's probably a victim to this and felt he HAD to do this as he's the big name player. I strongly disagree with it.

That's what American sports is about "big players make big plays".

It was class and we've seen Lebron/Jordan/Steph make these types of shots in the last moments of games. . . sure they've missed plenty but Kawhi had a second on the clock and nothing to lose in going for it so why not??

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: May 14, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

Ugh - he did ....... he pretty much won the series for the Raptors

@nbastats

Kawhi Leonard's 243 points in the Conference Semifinals are the 3rd most in a series post-merger (since 1977):

260   1977 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LAL
246   1993 Michael Jordan, CHI
243   2019 Kawhi Leonard, TOR
241   2018 LeBron James, CLE
236   2001 Allen Iverson, PHI

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: May 14, 2019, 07:02:13 PM »

Oh, i get your point perfectly. I'm just pointing out that it's nonsense.

Kawhi's stats in the series were otherworldly levels of good. He did win it for them. That's how basketball works. Your best players with the best experience and the biggest balls take the shot unless there's something obviously better on.

As for getting lucky, shots go in off the rim all the time. Is every shot that isn't a perfect swish lucky? How much of the fact that he knew he had to shoot it at an unusually high arc trajectory as 7 foot Joel embiid closed him down, did so successfully and converted it was down to luck, at opposed to him simply being brilliant at basketball? 5%? 20%? 50%?
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Maiden1

• View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: May 14, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »

Kawhi's stats in the series were otherworldly levels of good. He did win it for them. That's how basketball works. Your best players with the best experience and the biggest balls take the shot unless there's something obviously better on.

As for getting lucky, shots go in off the rim all the time. Is every shot that isn't a perfect swish lucky? How much of the fact that he knew he had to shoot it at an unusually high arc trajectory as 7 foot Joel embiid closed him down, did so successfully and converted it was down to luck, at opposed to him simply being brilliant at basketball? 5%? 20%? 50%?
https://www.nba.com/raptors/stats

53.9 fg% the right guy took the final shot, probably called in huddle.

Not sure he had time to lay it off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieumo-iYMbg&feature=onebox
If you want something, you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery no's

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #12560 on: May 14, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »
It was an unreal play but on some respects it was a free go. Game was not lost as it was going to overtime so it was a good percentage shot. Execution was great though and as has been said the high arc to get it in was essential. The reality is that given the closeness of many of these teams at this level this type of ‘clutch’ play is regular. Small margins and Leonard has been outstanding all the way this season.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »

No doubt he's good at basketball. No doubt he had a great series. How many shots thrown up by an off balance player under severe pressure bounce 4 times off the rim and go in? His team mate (#43) was wide open for a clean shot at the top of the key but that was never a consideration (opponents clearly knew this too). It was a bad shot, you have to play the percentages. It was a very low percentage shot and he got lucky.

I understand people lionise this type of thing but my point is it shouldn't be that way. Would Kawhi be a worse player if he missed that shot and the Raptors lost in overtime? No. Is he a better player becasue it bounced 4 times on the rim and fell in? No. Popular sports culture would probably disagree with me on both those counts.

magpie seanie

• View Profile

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: May 15, 2019, 10:39:56 AM »
Oh look, you brought out a Chicago reference. How entertaining.

His teammate at the top of the key, who was available with about a second on the clock was Siakam. The reason he was free was because he set a pick on Ben Simmons to get Kawhi the shot. Simmons went over the top of the pick and hounded kawhi, and was joined by embiid. As you might imagine, trying to pass to a guy when there's a 7 footer and a near 7 footer in your face, with a second on the clock, isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

He took the only option that was there for him in the circumstances and made it count.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: May 15, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
This is what a team player does.

https://theundefeated.com/features/nba-finals-history-steve-kerr-17-foot-jumper-clinches-bulls-1997-title/

I call balls!!! How many times has Jordan taken the shot at the buzzer with a team mate standing free??!!! The one time he doesn't and he's the ultimate team player??

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: May 15, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Oh look, you brought out a Chicago reference. How entertaining.

His teammate at the top of the key, who was available with about a second on the clock was Siakam. The reason he was free was because he set a pick on Ben Simmons to get Kawhi the shot. Simmons went over the top of the pick and hounded kawhi, and was joined by embiid. As you might imagine, trying to pass to a guy when there's a 7 footer and a near 7 footer in your face, with a second on the clock, isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

He took the only option that was there for him in the circumstances and made it count.

Easier than shooting.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: May 15, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »
God love you seanie

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
Zions for New Orleans then, slightly underwhelming. 

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: May 15, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
God love you seanie

God love you more like it.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: May 15, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
The retort of a 9 year old