Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 628676 times)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12345 on: January 07, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
I'd say it's safe to say most people don't get to the highest levels of professional sports by throwing games. Bears were desperately unlucky last night.

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:06 PM »
I thought they were poorly coached and indisciplined. I thought they were in fact very lucky and got a lot of the mariginal calls. I also think thereís a difference between throwing a game and clever game management to ensure a better long term situation for your team. I think a lot of top teams take whatever advantage they can whether thatís underperforming after youíve qualified for the next round in an attempt to eliminate a more dangerous opponent or deliberately playing poorly in a match so as to not tip your hand for a later encounter.

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:28 AM »
Gameís not over, but itís nice to see a team in orange beating a team in red. Címon, Clemson. Donít fold.

An Orange crush!

FT. Clemson 44  Alabama 16
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:48:53 AM by Oraisteach »

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12348 on: January 08, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
I thought they were poorly coached and indisciplined. I thought they were in fact very lucky and got a lot of the mariginal calls. I also think thereís a difference between throwing a game and clever game management to ensure a better long term situation for your team. I think a lot of top teams take whatever advantage they can whether thatís underperforming after youíve qualified for the next round in an attempt to eliminate a more dangerous opponent or deliberately playing poorly in a match so as to not tip your hand for a later encounter.

Can't say I saw it that way. The two point conversion attempt was silly and they should have moved Mack around more on defense maybe but I really think they came out the wrong side on a good few calls. And when there was less than a minute in it the Eagles produced a poor kickoff enabling a long return. Then Trubisky victimised the Eagles corner again, albeit with a perfect throw worthy of any QB in the situation. Dumbass kicker missed (I know they're saying the defense got a touch but it seemed like he pulled it to me) and that has changed the narrative.

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: January 09, 2019, 12:13:31 AM »
Seanie, Parkey was 3 for 4 and hit the post on the final one , which as weíll know was now slightly tipped. The Bears scored one TD , against a secondary that were mostly walking the streets 3 months ago. Thatís a poor Philly rearguard and Drew Brees will punch big holes in them this week. Nagy deserves coach of the year to get as much out of them as he did. Theyíre very limited offensively, and itís mostly tricks and gimmicks every week with a great defense. Jury still out on Trubisky, hard to judge him with the surrounding cast he has to throw to , the bears definitely need some help next year at the skill positions..

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: January 09, 2019, 02:29:41 AM »
Bruce Arians to the Bucs, Todd Bowles as DC , they could be an interesting team next year, lot of offensive talent...

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12351 on: January 09, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
Bruce Arians to the Bucs, Todd Bowles as DC , they could be an interesting team next year, lot of offensive talent...

And Kliff Kingsbury to the Cardinals. Fecking hell. I know he was instrumental in both Patrick Mahomes' and Baker Mayfield's development, but his record at Texas Tech wouldn't inspire confidence as a head coach. More than any other hire, he's going to need an excellent OC and especially DC.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: January 09, 2019, 10:22:02 AM »
Anyone watching the new season of QB1 on Netflix?

First season was very good. I can't get over the number of coaches these high schools have. I think one team had 22 coaches.

Who pays those wages - sponsors, rich parents etc??

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #12353 on: January 09, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Anyone watching the new season of QB1 on Netflix?

First season was very good. I can't get over the number of coaches these high schools have. I think one team had 22 coaches.

Who pays those wages - sponsors, rich parents etc??
I've watched the first couple episodes and funny enough I had the same thought. Serious number of coaches.
It's interesting the possible links/QB competition between season 1 + 2 with Georgia, Ohio State + Wake Forest.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: January 09, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
I'm not familiar with this QB1. What's the premise?

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »

Its a series on netflix AZ. Follows star quarterbacks from a number of high schools across the states.

They all appear to have offers on the table from big colleges.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: January 09, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »

Follows 3 of the top High School QB's in the country throughout their senior year.
Season 1 had Jake Fromm (Georgia), Tate Martell (Ohio State) and Tayvon Bowers (Wake Forest).
Season 2 has Justin Fields (Georgia/Ohio State), Sam Hartman (Wake Forest) and Re-al Mitchell (Iowa State).

Fromm won the Georgia starting job over Fields this year who is now transferring to Ohio State where he will compete with Martell for the starting role. Hartman won it over Bowers at Wake Forest.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
What about Matt LeFleur to the Packers as head coach? As Titans OC this season gone he don't set the world alight albeit with a poor receiving corps.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: January 09, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »

Follows 3 of the top High School QB's in the country throughout their senior year.
Season 1 had Jake Fromm (Georgia), Tate Martell (Ohio State) and Tayvon Bowers (Wake Forest).
Season 2 has Justin Fields (Georgia/Ohio State), Sam Hartman (Wake Forest) and Re-al Mitchell (Iowa State).

Fromm won the Georgia starting job over Fields this year who is now transferring to Ohio State where he will compete with Martell for the starting role. Hartman won it over Bowers at Wake Forest.

Cheers, yeah I'm familiar with Jake Fromm. So it's a documentary that follows them through their High School senior year, into the All American games etc?

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: January 12, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »
Colts in an early jam against the Chiefs, canít stop them 😬