American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

If the NFL wanted to showcase their game it would have made more sense to put next weeks game between the Colts and Pats on in London. These teams have been the best teams in the NFL over the last five years. The game yesterday in Wembley was so boring it was difficult to watch and the Yanks think soccer is boring.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: FL/MAYO on October 29, 2007, 01:58:32 PM
If the NFL wanted to showcase their game it would have made more sense to put next weeks game between the Colts and Pats on in London. These teams have been the best teams in the NFL over the last five years. The game yesterday in Wembley was so boring it was difficult to watch and the Yanks think soccer is boring.

I think they brought over those teams because both are very well known over in this side of the world when compared to the Colts or the Pats.  Also the awful weather and pitch didnt help things.  Still think they should have another one even two matches in Europe next year.

heganboy

the problem they have with the pats & colts is that a lot of the teams have contracts with their stadia that mean that they MUST play their 8 home games at that stadium. If not they end up homeless. The NFL has announced that it intends that every team will play a minimum of 1 game outside the US in the next 3 years.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 29, 2007, 11:21:43 AM
can pats be stopped?

I dont think they can be stopped this year. Not sure of a defence that can handle Brady and co, 10 catches for 10 touchdowns for Mike Vrabel! :o
Was talking to the old man yesterday he says "Christ that american football is a boring game"
Was talking to an american friend a couple days ago he says "You know, that soccer is a boring game to watch, unless one of your kids is playing in it"

Quote from: heganboy on October 29, 2007, 02:06:09 PM
the problem they have with the pats & colts is that a lot of the teams have contracts with their stadia that mean that they MUST play their 8 home games at that stadium. If not they end up homeless. The NFL has announced that it intends that every team will play a minimum of 1 game outside the US in the next 3 years.

The dallas cowboys owner wasnt too excited about that idea.

The Iceman

there is a lot of confusion and debate among american commentators about whether or not NFL abroad is a good thing.  Some think it is good to raise the profile of the game, others think it is a waste of time and resources, especially at this early stage of the season.

I don't think NFL will ever have an equivalent in the european countries like soccer does in the US.  Soccer is played at underage level in the school systems over here but NFL will never be played in EU.

I personally think there is a huge market for the NFL in Ireland and the UK.  The tickets sold out so quickly and rumors that there were 500,000 requests to the website for tickets would back that up. Its a great game when you understand it and give it a chance, but for me it is and always will be a sport we like to watch - not play.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

magickingdom

couldnt have put it better iceman. having said that i'd love to know how many kids in america actually play american football. i know the kids in high school and college play it and there are a no. of lesser leagues than the nfl but i bet its not a huge participation sport. i'm convinced nfl teams would work in london/berlin and paris if the nfl wanted to do it without having any other regular leagues in those cities. its a great game to watch once you get to know the rules (yesterdays game was never going to be great as the dolphins are poor enough)...

Puckoon

Quote from: magickingdom on October 29, 2007, 08:11:58 PM
couldnt have put it better iceman. having said that i'd love to know how many kids in america actually play american football. i know the kids in high school and college play it and there are a no. of lesser leagues than the nfl but i bet its not a huge participation sport. i'm convinced nfl teams would work in london/berlin and paris if the nfl wanted to do it without having any other regular leagues in those cities. its a great game to watch once you get to know the rules (yesterdays game was never going to be great as the dolphins are poor enough)...
You are dead right magickingdom. The reason most kids play soccer and baseball over here as youths is the elitism of American Football. Around here there are limited opportunities to play the game outside of high school and college. By that stage you need to be good enough to make the varsity team otherwise your ride has ended. There are a number of flag football competitions here and there, which by nature are non contact but its nowhere near the same.

Puckoon

Bret Favre throws for an 82 yard touchdown in overtime to beat the broncos in denver :o. 38 and still the most fun to watch in the NFL.

Gabriel_Hurl

i hated the verbal blowjob they gave him before the match though

DrinkingHarp

If tonites game between Green Bay and Denver was played in London all of Europe would be hooked on the NFL.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Puckoon

I missed that part gabriel. Did you hear his own quote about his game? That its the beauty and the beast of his career that he has always thought he could make a play out of anything. At least he acknowledges his faults. He is some player.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 30, 2007, 03:43:24 AM
i hated the verbal blowjob they gave him before the match though

If John Madden was announcing the game you would of actually heard him slurping ;D

It seems Favre is Maddens fantasy man, the love is a little to strong  ;)

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

thejuice

Yes the choice of teams for the London game was a little mis-guided. But It was far from boring. I had a great time at it. really enjoyed it. Wembley is cool stadium and from what I could see it was full to the roof.

One thing I'd like to point out is the there already is are American Football leagues in the UK and in Ireland. Over 100 teams in BAFL not including college. Ireland we have about 10 and its growing. The biggest problem with the Irish league is how to deal with the swelling numbers of people participating. Its very much a labour of love for those involved, much like GAA people we give so much of our spare time and money to run games organise buses ambulances refs...etc. But get out there and play it, it is a great sport to play.

www.irish-american-football.org
www.bafl.org

Another question. HOw many TD's will will Brady finisih with. Hill-Billy Brett reckons he could have 60. and if so, is he perhaps the best ever QB, 3 SB rings and possibly a 4th on the way. OK it helps that he's surrounded by talent but is he better than Montana, Marino, Unitas, Manning or even Ryan Leaf( :P)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

deiseach

Okay, American football fans. Am I right in assuming that an 82 yard throw for a touchdown in overtime, while spectacular, is likely to give a coach a coronary? The chances of it being intercepted at that range are high. A coach would surely insist that they take as long as it takes to grind up to field goal range. Or am I missing something?

thejuice

The ball might have been caught at 20 yds and ran for the next 62. but I didnt see it yet, will watch highlights tonight. But sometimes you have to throw along bomb, especially with time ticking. Anyway its Brett Farve were talking about he knows what he's at.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016