American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The rule is that if the hand is going forward, with the ball in it, then it is not a fumble, it is a forward pass. If the ball has already left his hand before it starts to come forward, it's a fumble.

AZOffaly

That second angle it does look as if the ball is loose in his hand right at the top of his windup, so I can see why they called it a fumble. I would have expected it to be called a forward pass though.

Hound

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 25, 2016, 03:06:51 AM
Unfortunately, I watched it all:((
It was garbage, defense for both teams were decent, offensively both teams were pure dung...

Cards had it in field goal position 6 times, and only managed to take 2 of them, thanks to a blocked FG (should have been a flag), a fumble by Palmer, a failed 4th down (ridiculous call) and hitting the post from 24 yards (was 19 yards originally but delay of game penalty put it back 5 yards).

And also managed to have a punt blocked which handed Seattle their 3 pointer in the 4th quarter. Seattle's offence did not make it  into scoring territory once in the first 4 quarters!

Ridiculous match.

Only consolation was Pete Carroll's face when Seattle missed their easy FG kick at the death of OT.

AZOffaly

Hound, why are you a Cards fan?

I didn't watch the game yet, and by all accounts I'm not sure I will. Missed opportunity by the Cards, and they are going to have to end the season on a right streak to make the playoffs. Probably will need to be 10-5-1 or 11-4-1. They've already lost 3 and have Seattle away to come. Not good. The lazy, unfocussed start to the season is really coming home to roost now.

gallsman

Saw a great tweet about Seattle's first score coming after a spectacular four play, 0 yard drive.

It was just awful. Wilson looked as if some of the injuries might be catching up on him.

If Bobby Wagner should have been flagged by rule for brushing the long snapper with his foot then the rule needs to change. Magnificent piece of athleticism for a guy that size.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2016, 10:10:45 AM

I'm sorry. I really didnt mean to be.

Used to be a Broncos fan in the late 80s on Channel 4, when Elway was at QB and they were getting to SuperBowls in heroic fashion, and then getting hammered when they got there.

By the time Elway won his rings in the late 90s I'd stopped following it. Just watched the SuperBowls, so didnt enjoy the wins near as much as I would have done had they won in the 80s when I knew the players.

The young lad got into it 5 or 6 years ago (when he was about 6 or 7) and he picked the Cardinals. First of all got Madden on the X-Box, picked the Cards as his team and evenutally won the SuperBowl of course. Then we started watching them together every Sunday, and eventually you can't help but get drawn in. You can't but love Larry. I think we started watching in Peterson's rookie year when he was returning kicks for fun, and of course have watched him become a top CB.

I did ask him at one stage, when he had a clean slate of all 32 teams to pick from, why on earth had he picked these crowd of eejits. He said when the team names came up on Madden for him to pick, he remembered that the Cardinals were champions and so they'd be the team to pick.
Unfortunately he'd got mixed up with St Louis and baseball...

In it for the long haul now though. Hopefully they'll get over to London at some stage.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2016, 08:34:53 AM
Is Osweiler the worst $70m ever spent?

There was one incident in last night's game that confused me. He appeared to throw an incomplete pass. A shite one but a pass nonetheless. The defender picked it up but, assuming it was incomplete like everyone else, didn't try to return it. Refs ruled it a fumble and gave Denver possession. He was throwing the ball forward, wasn't hit and the ball didn't come properly out of his hands but still went forward plenty. Why was it a fumble?

He will never see the $70m the way he is playing and i imagine will be away after next season
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

A hell of a lot of it is guaranteed though.

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2016, 11:57:37 AM
A hell of a lot of it is guaranteed though.

About half of it guaranteed I think 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Yup, like 37m apparently. Handy few years work.

Read an article today suggesting that Seattle should go after Joe Thomas and they gave the cap room for it. Haven't paid any attention to salary positions for a while (except the hilarity the Saints produced in 2014) but it surprised me they could afford that calibre of player after re:signing so many of the LoB, the Chancellor stand off, the Wilson contract and the trade for Graham.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hound on October 25, 2016, 10:44:03 AM

Used to be a Broncos fan in the late 80s on Channel 4, when Elway was at QB and they were getting to SuperBowls in heroic fashion, and then getting hammered when they got there.

By the time Elway won his rings in the late 90s I'd stopped following it. Just watched the SuperBowls, so didnt enjoy the wins near as much as I would have done had they won in the 80s when I knew the players.

The young lad got into it 5 or 6 years ago (when he was about 6 or 7) and he picked the Cardinals. First of all got Madden on the X-Box, picked the Cards as his team and evenutally won the SuperBowl of course. Then we started watching them together every Sunday, and eventually you can't help but get drawn in. You can't but love Larry. I think we started watching in Peterson's rookie year when he was returning kicks for fun, and of course have watched him become a top CB.

I did ask him at one stage, when he had a clean slate of all 32 teams to pick from, why on earth had he picked these crowd of eejits. He said when the team names came up on Madden for him to pick, he remembered that the Cardinals were champions and so they'd be the team to pick.

In it for the long haul now though. Hopefully they'll get over to London at some stage.
That came out wrong, I just wondered if you had some connection to Arizona. The more of us the merrier. Believe me, these are the golden days 😀

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2016, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: Hound on October 25, 2016, 10:44:03 AM

That came out wrong, I just wondered if you had some connection to Arizona. The more of us the merrier. Believe me, these are the golden days 😀
Ah yeah, I knew what you meant! I'm not really sorry :)  I'm genuinely really enjoying the torment of supporting them!

Oraisteach

OK, let's go Believeland Indians.  Watching TV, all I hear about is the Cubs, apart from Tom Hanks who has been talking up Cleveland  wherever he appears.  Cavs receive their championship rings this evening.  Maybe after that's over, LeBron can go next door and pitch a no-hitter.  Go Tribe!

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 26, 2016, 12:43:46 AM
OK, let's go Believeland Indians.  Watching TV, all I hear about is the Cubs, apart from Tom Hanks who has been talking up Cleveland  wherever he appears.  Cavs receive their championship rings this evening.  Maybe after that's over, LeBron can go next door and pitch a no-hitter.  Go Tribe!

Go Cubbies!!!!

A southside Cubs fan for over 40years, I need this!

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Oraisteach

A south side Cubbie?  Isn't that heresy?