American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

The Spurs win it in five with another blowout and Leonard named as Finals MVP. Five titles for Duncan and Pop, four for TP and Manu. Duncan has played postseason ball every year of his career. Incredible longevity across the entire franchise and brilliant coaching to turn players like Mills and Diaw into excellent contributors. No doubt they'll be in the mix next year too.

AZOffaly

They are possibly the best franchise in American Sports in fairness to them.

cadhlancian

I saw Kawaii Leonard play a load of times for SDSU. Never thought I would see him be NBA finals MVP!
Great player

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2014, 11:42:48 AM
They are possibly the best franchise in American Sports in fairness to them.

They ain't no Green Bay Packers or Pittsburgh Steelers.

AZOffaly

Very sad news from the States. A really pure hitter, and seemed to be a nice, gentle fella as well. RIP

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-06-16/tony-gwynn-dead-dies-obit-padres-cancer-san-diego-state

anportmorforjfc

So LeBron opts out, be interesting to see if Wade and Bosh follow, could all be a ploy to make cap space for the Heat to improve next season. It is some free agency this year though, I wouldn't mind seeing either LeBron or Love join the Warriors  ;)

gallsman

Doesn't really mean all that much in terms of destination but certainly that there'll be a restructured deal in Miami. Whether or not that implies he's taking less to accommodate Melo...

Has also been talk of LBJ and Melo in Chicago. Those two with Rose, Noah and Gibson would be frightening.

Minder

Has the internet exploded yet ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Wow! An elite athlete opts to go to Cleveland rather than leave it.  Redemption.  The Prodigal Son.

magpie seanie

It's a slightly surprising decision and certainly a more interesting one than I expected. Can he win an NBA title with the Cavs? Let's see.

Oraisteach

Not at the minute, Seanie, though Vegas has them at 4/1 joint favorites to win next year's NBA title.  No way.  But if they can figure a way to get Kevin Love from Minnesota without surrendering Andrew Wiggins (unlikely, I'd say), then they'd be as good as anyone in the East, so who knows.

So now Cleveland has LeBron and Johnny Football--looks like Duffy's Media Circus has arrived.

thejuice

Anyone going to Wembley this year? Looking for Falcons vs Lions tickets of there's any spare.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 13, 2014, 12:22:02 AM
Not at the minute, Seanie, though Vegas has them at 4/1 joint favorites to win next year's NBA title.  No way.  But if they can figure a way to get Kevin Love from Minnesota without surrendering Andrew Wiggins (unlikely, I'd say), then they'd be as good as anyone in the East, so who knows.

So now Cleveland has LeBron and Johnny Football--looks like Duffy's Media Circus has arrived.

So the Love trade is happening. Good deal for both sides but Cleveland have to win now. LeBron on max contract (only for two years though) and paying big to Love with Irving to follow. Instant success required.

The Timberwolves have done well with Wiggins (potential to be a superstar), Bennett (shite) likely to be inexplicably traded to Philly for Thaddeus Young (can only presume they've given up on the season already) and a first round pick in a couple of years. Wiggins playing with Zach Lavine and Rubio should be exciting.

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on June 24, 2014, 11:24:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing either LeBron or Love join the Warriors  ;)

Warrior had their chance to get Love alright but for whatever reason insisted that Klay Thompson wouldn't be part of the deal along with West. Madness.

Also for anyone who didn't see it, Paul George's horrific injury effectively rules the Pacers out of any sort of contention this year.

Oraisteach

It is so satisfying to be a NE Ohio sports fan.  First, Hoyer and Manziel looked like Laurel and Hardy on Monday night, and then Braxton Miller is done for the year for the Buckeyes.  What next?  LeBron James develops severe carpal tunnel syndrome from signing autographs and decides to wind up his career.