Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 657677 times)

lurganblue

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12795 on: November 18, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
The Ravens are legit , arguably the best team in the NFL currently . Jackson is something else, amazing player. Really hard to see anyone else in the AFC championship game other than the Pats or the Ravens . The chiefs have to win tomorrow night or the Raiders take over the lead in the west . The NFC is very competitive, 5 or 6 legitimate contenders .

Would be nice to see the Ravens go to the Superbowl from the AFC.  NFC too close to call really. I'd have said the Saints were the best in the NFC until that sh*t show last week v the Falcons at the Dome.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: November 18, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
I've never been a big fan of Kap (ask Puck :) ) from his college days, but he certainly should be in the league on talent alone. As Seanie says, he is better (right now) than a lot of his counterparts who are starting. However a significant number of them (Jones, Darnold e.g) have 'upside' potential, which he doesn't have at this point. He is what he is, and he is what he was when he was blackballed. If he was elite, they (the NFL) would have made it work. Imagine if Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers protested against Trump by kneeling? Would they be blackballed? Not a chance.

So he was courageous and stubborn in what he did, but I think he has to make a choice. If he will not do what this exclusive club wants, then all he can do is stand outside shouting about it. He's good enough to be in the league, but not good enough to be a massive issue everywhere he goes. It's not right that someone should have to sacrifice their principles in something like this, but it's a fact of NFL life.

I love American Football, and the NFL, but the league are a bunch of unprincipled money men.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: November 18, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »
I've never been a big fan of Kap (ask Puck :) ) from his college days, but he certainly should be in the league on talent alone. As Seanie says, he is better (right now) than a lot of his counterparts who are starting. However a significant number of them (Jones, Darnold e.g) have 'upside' potential, which he doesn't have at this point. He is what he is, and he is what he was when he was blackballed. If he was elite, they (the NFL) would have made it work. Imagine if Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers protested against Trump by kneeling? Would they be blackballed? Not a chance.

So he was courageous and stubborn in what he did, but I think he has to make a choice. If he will not do what this exclusive club wants, then all he can do is stand outside shouting about it. He's good enough to be in the league, but not good enough to be a massive issue everywhere he goes. It's not right that someone should have to sacrifice their principles in something like this, but it's a fact of NFL life.

I love American Football, and the NFL, but the league are a bunch of unprincipled money men.

The reason for this is obvious and sickening.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: November 18, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
I'm not sure if you are referring to his colour, or to the cause he is highlighting. If the former, I'd say probably Lamarr Jackson or DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be blackballed either.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: November 18, 2019, 12:20:33 PM »
I'm not sure if you are referring to his colour, or to the cause he is highlighting. If the former, I'd say probably Lamarr Jackson or DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be blackballed either.

They're all a lot younger than Kapernick was at the time it happened and are genuine up and coming stars of the game.

Kapernick's career also seemed to have been on a downward trajectory from 2013.

I get your point that certain black players wouldn't be blackballed but that's not to say that there isn't a racist element to the situation. The fact that Kapernick wasn't really producing on the pitch helped make the decision for teams a lot easier.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
That's it exactly. If he white and protesting against climate change, he wouldn't be blackballed.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: November 18, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
We need to remember Kaepernick level of play before “kneeling”, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert, and that was 3/4 years ago.

The read option was no longer there for him, defenses had worked him out, it usually happens in the NFL. He was never going to be a pocket passer, at the end of his starter days the playbook was as simple as you will get. They weren’t asking him to throw anything outside the numbers, all basic stuff.

That was 3/4 years ago, people think he will be better now ?? NFL teams will put up with a lot if you can play, if you can’t well they won’t. Next man up
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: November 18, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
We need to remember Kaepernick level of play before “kneeling”, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert, and that was 3/4 years ago.

The read option was no longer there for him, defenses had worked him out, it usually happens in the NFL. He was never going to be a pocket passer, at the end of his starter days the playbook was as simple as you will get. They weren’t asking him to throw anything outside the numbers, all basic stuff.

That was 3/4 years ago, people think he will be better now ?? NFL teams will put up with a lot if you can play, if you can’t well they won’t. Next man up

As I said, I was never a fan, but he's better than some of the donkeys there now. Just not as good as he needs to be to make this sideshow an irrelevance. There's 32 teams in the league and all of them carry at least 2 quarterbacks, some/most have 3. There's no way he's not good enough for that.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: November 18, 2019, 04:06:51 PM »

I'm glad you brought that up. His stats from that season actually compare reasonably well with his early years. However, he was surrounded by a hot mess of a team. Think the 49ers only won one game that season. NFL coached regularly make stupid decisions when it comes to Quarterbacks and thinking Gabbert was potentially better than Kaepernick was certainly one of them. I'd love to see how Tom Brady would have performed in that team.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: November 18, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »

Lamar and Mahomes have brilliant coaching and Watson's isn't bad. They're set up to do well. After a couple of years in the league, Kaepernick was as highly regarded as these players. I think these 3 have more ability and certainly better coaching and support personnel into the future.

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: November 18, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
Seanie , regardless of schemes etc , he’d be a below average QB right now. He walked into the best team at the time with the Niners , yet when they’re losing it ain’t him? He is 3-16 in his last 19 starts ( 3 years ago) and is at best a backup . He was figured out within a year or two of entering the league. I watched the Bears last night , every snap of that game. If you’re asking me is he better than Trubiskey, I wouldn’t say he’d be any better, not with the offensive talent that’s there.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: November 18, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
Kaepernick was the *lowest* graded QB (PFF) in 2015 & the 6th lowest graded in 2016. Saying he was average in his final years would be very generous
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: November 18, 2019, 11:16:42 PM »
Kaepernick was the *lowest* graded QB (PFF) in 2015 & the 6th lowest graded in 2016. Saying he was average in his final years would be very generous
Racist.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: November 19, 2019, 06:48:20 AM »

Lamar and Mahomes have brilliant coaching and Watson's isn't bad. They're set up to do wel. After a couple of years in the league, Kaepernick was as highly regarded as these players. I think these 3 have more ability and certainly better coaching and support personnel into the future.

O'Brien is awful!
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: November 20, 2019, 01:17:32 AM »
Agreed , O’Brien is hardly in the top tier of NFL coaches. As for Kap ever being regarded in the same league as Watson, Jackson and Mahomes, ah lad wil ya stop. He played 6 seasons in the NFL and only once ( barely at that ) was his QB rating over the league average of 92. His career QB completion % is about 59. He came into a team that were at that time the BEST team in the NFC.  Maybe he was blackballed out of the league l but we are talking about is he good enough  to start for an NFL team . He might be better potentially than a few currently starting, but having been out of the league 3 years , and the circus that would inevitably follow him, would you want him leading your team ?