Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 648569 times)

Clov

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12750 on: October 22, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
I was an absolute genius and picked up Murray in fantasy after Kamara went down having seen what Josh Jacobs was able to do to the Hicks-less Bears D with my own eyes two weeks ago.

Of course I was an absolute coward and thought "nah that Bears D will stop him" and stuck with Melvin Gordon instead.

I'm not sure Mariota is the answer Seanie. Is he any better than Trubisky? Mariota gonna have to get paid next year too. I think the season is as good as done for the Bears and they should start thinking about what they want to do long term with the offense.

I think Mariota is a good QB who has been in a shit situation all his career. He's a better QB than Goff for example and I reckon he'd succeed in the Bears offense under Nagy. More expensive but Cam Newton either perhaps? time moves on fast and when you've a decent defense you need to try and go it. I think the time to give up on Trubisky has come. He'll probably kill it next week after me saying this but I don't see him taking the Bears to the playoffs.

I'd be very surprised if Mariota is anything more than average to below average starting quarterback for the rest of his career. He is far too conservative (his sack rate is ridiculous) and fairly injury prone to boot. The Titans have had decent defenses in his time there (including this year) and a few weapons (Derrick Henry, Delanie Walker) but he has consistently been a major limiting factor on their success (though Mularky takes some blame too).
The Bears aren't really in a position to trade for a quarterback in any case, as they're without a 1st round pick next year. IMO they'd be better rolling with Trubisky (or Daniels) the rest of the season and then looking at free agency for a QB. May be if the Bengals land the top pick they will cut Dalton, who has a higher ceiling than Mariota imo. 
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12751 on: October 22, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
I think you'd get Dalton for a 3rd rounder. It would be worth asking.

Mariota holds the ball too long. He was far more dynamic at Oregon, so maybe it is a scheme thing, but he wouldn't inspire me.

tyroneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12752 on: October 22, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »

Mariota holds the ball too long. He was far more dynamic at Oregon, so maybe it is a scheme thing, but he wouldn't inspire me.

Something tells me you could get Carr from the Raiders for a decent package at te end of the season....not sure Gruden is 100% in on him

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12753 on: October 22, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »

I'm pretty convinced it is.

Clov

• View Profile
« Reply #12754 on: October 22, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
Emmanuel Sanders to the 49ers, for a third and a fourth (with a fifth coming the other way). Don't like the price but the Niners are very weak at receiver.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12755 on: October 22, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »
Emmanuel Sanders to the 49ers, for a third and a fourth (with a fifth coming the other way). Don't like the price but the Niners are very weak at receiver.

Happy for Sanders. He has had to endure crap QB after crap QB there for a while now.

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12756 on: October 23, 2019, 02:59:25 AM »
Seanie , to say that Marcus Mariota is better than Goff is ridiculous. They’re not even close, Mariota is an extremely average QB and will be a backup somewhere next year , he’s had his chance . As someone said, he’s played on decent Tennessee teams , not great , but there has been and are currently a lot of teams with way less talent than the Titans. As I said earlier, the Bears should make a run at Teddy Bridgewater for next year. Andy Dalton is another backup level QB starting in the NFL. Goes to show how hard it is to actually get “ the guy”. AZ , if somebody gives the bengals a third rounder for Dalton they need to arm and all , clean off at the shoulder!

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: October 23, 2019, 06:35:28 AM »
Nobody is saying he's Pat Mahomes but if you don't think Dalton is one of the 32 best QBs in the NFL you're crazy.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: October 23, 2019, 10:06:45 PM »
Josh Gordon on IR and finished for the season

Edit - seems he is just leaving the Pats and hoping to land with another team
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:26:05 PM by Minder »
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: October 24, 2019, 08:32:15 AM »
Josh Gordon on IR and finished for the season

Edit - seems he is just leaving the Pats and hoping to land with another team

I wonder is it a herbal issue?

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: October 28, 2019, 02:13:04 AM »
JJ Watt on IR for the third time in four seasons... is he worth it ?

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12761 on: October 28, 2019, 03:37:47 AM »
Ok! New fresh top 10 , just in 🤪🤪

1) Pats
2) Saints
3) Niners
4) Packers
5) Chiefs
6) Vikings
7)Rams
8) Ravens
9) Colts
10 Seahawks

3 teams from the NFC west ! And Arizona will get better , tough division ....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:07:55 PM by cadhlancian »

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12762 on: October 28, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
The Rams have moved up two spots on your list having beaten up on the Falcons and Bengals? I wouldn't have them in a top 10 at all.

Again, for me, the Texans have to be in there. Watson is just incredible.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

cadhlancian

• View Profile
« Reply #12763 on: October 28, 2019, 01:46:08 PM »
Agree on Watson , he is incredible. But , Watt is done for the year and their OL is a disaster, he’ll be lucky to not finish the season on the IR himself.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:15 PM »
Seanie , to say that Marcus Mariota is better than Goff is ridiculous. They’re not even close, Mariota is an extremely average QB and will be a backup somewhere next year , he’s had his chance . As someone said, he’s played on decent Tennessee teams , not great , but there has been and are currently a lot of teams with way less talent than the Titans. As I said earlier, the Bears should make a run at Teddy Bridgewater for next year. Andy Dalton is another backup level QB starting in the NFL. Goes to show how hard it is to actually get “ the guy”. AZ , if somebody gives the bengals a third rounder for Dalton they need to arm and all , clean off at the shoulder!

You clearly don't remember what Goff was like before McVay got hold of him. Mariota a far more accurate thrower and he can run too. He has just been in a woeful situation in Tennessee throughout his career. QB evaluation in the NFL is really poor.