Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 680521 times)

tyroneman

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #12630 on: August 27, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
Just goes to show that rule#1 = find a franchise QB , should be quickly followed by rule #2 = protect that QB ........

If Luck had've been given a decent OL he could conceivably have been up there challenging for GOAT status.

Derek Carr, a decent but much more limited QB,  was in the MVP conversations a few years ago, but only behind a top 3 OL

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: August 27, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
Brave move. Must be one of the biggest shocks in NFL history.

I remember Barry Sanders retiring at 30/31 a year after running for 2,00 yards with 3 years left on his contract and teh rushing record in his sights. In my opinion the most exciting RB I have ever watched. Interesting he said in 2015 he was "young and foolish" when he retired.

Hard to argue with Luck if its for health reasons. I am sure he did not take the decision lightly but unfortunately there are a lot of ex NFL stars with millions in  the bank crippled by chronic health issues. It is a brutal sport.  Luck is set up for life, has the kind of personality you would imagine will be in demand as a pundit so good luck to him. Leaves the Colts in a jam though in a year where many people, including myself, fancied them to go far. 

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: August 28, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
Colts "fans" booing Luck after his retirement announcement is conclusive proof (if any were needed) that there are a multitude of idiots out there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I still canít get my head around the breath-taking ignorance, stupidity, and arrogant entitlement of someone who would do this.

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: August 28, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
Colts "fans" booing Luck after his retirement announcement is conclusive proof (if any were needed) that there are a multitude of idiots out there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I still canít get my head around the breath-taking ignorance, stupidity, and arrogant entitlement of someone who would do this.
If you pay for your ticket, and those funds have helped Luck earn $100m from your team, then you've every entitlement to boo if you want to boo. I'm sure some see the timing of this as awful just before the season starts, rather than at the end of a season, leaving your team high and dry. It's been reported (rightly or wrongly) that the leg injury isn't that serious and he's quoted as not being prepared to put the work in this time to go through recovery etc.  So you could argue that Luck could have handled this a little bit better.

But being entitled to boo, doesn't make it less stupid!

Gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #12634 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »

that was at the game Saturday night when luck was standing on sideline and it had leaked that he was retiring, add in the fact that 90% of people at nfl games are pounding a lot of beers itís not a surprise at all

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: September 04, 2019, 07:56:51 AM »
$110m guaranteed for Goff, clock ticking for LA to win a SB with that contract on the books
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: September 04, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
Elliot gets his big money contract too i see.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12637 on: September 04, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
f**king Gordon won't cop on and sign.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
Zeke's contract is crazy and will probably harden Melvin Gordon's position.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: September 04, 2019, 08:41:32 PM »
Gordon has no leverage whatsoever. Chargers have supposedly priced him at two picks - a first and a fifth. Someone will pay him but he'll not get the money he's looking out of LA.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: September 04, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
Gordon has no leverage whatsoever. Chargers have supposedly priced him at two picks - a first and a fifth. Someone will pay him but he'll not get the money he's looking out of LA.

Teams know a RB has only probably a 4 to 5 year peak before they start regressing, due to injuries and workload. Teams are more than happy to take their chances in the draft with a RB

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: September 05, 2019, 06:11:13 AM »
They have capable backups and a good QB and WR ser. They'll not be pounding them like Barkley or Elliott. He has two years left on his deal and doesn't become a free agent even if he sits out the entire year. Good as he is (and he's very, very good), he's not as good as the two mentioned previously, Kamara, McCaffrey or Gurley. He's never getting elite RB money.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: September 05, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
And people thought Antonio Brown would change ?!

He could be done in Oakland already, threatened to hit GM Mike Mayock today in an altercation

Gmac

• View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: September 05, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »

He could be done in Oakland already, threatened to hit GM Mike Mayock today in an altercation
they should dump this clown and recoup any money they have paid him hard to win with guys like him on a team , bears  packers tonight should be a good one be interesting to see if the bears can continue upswing and how the new coach of packers will do

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: September 05, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »

Why they couldn't have had this argument and suspension drama before the B league draft on tuesday I will never know.