Author Topic: American Sports Thread  (Read 555591 times)

Syferus

• View Profile
Re: American Sports Thread
« Reply #11580 on: March 05, 2018, 04:43:28 PM »
http://amp.si.com/college-football/2017/11/16/shaquem-griffin-hand-ucf-nfl-draft

Pretty cool and inspiring story about Seahawks rookie CB Shaquill Griffin's brother, Shaquem. Hand his left hand amputated as a kid but was DPOY in the AAC last year and could well be in his way to the NFL

Lighting up the combine and a cert to get drafted. Great story.

Absolutely amazing. Fair play to the lad.....some story. 4.38 speed at that size. Mental.

Saquon Barkley had some combine too. Outrageous athlete. I wonder are Cleveland still feeling burnt by the Trent Richardson experience or do they take this guy.

I haven't seen Saquon Barkley play so this isn't a well informed opinion but i'd be amazed if the Browns (or anyone else for that matter) took a RB first overall. Serviceable running backs are two a penny in the later rounds of the draft. I think the Browns have passed on one too many QBs in recent years to not take a QB with the first pick. Unless of course they land Cousins in which case they might trade down.

Jacksonville rode Fourentte all the way from being a joke franchise to the second test team in the AFC last year. All with the black hole that was Blake Bortles at QB too.

Generational RBs are worth a high pick. Cleveland can grab a QB and RB in the first and be set at two key positions for years to come and having both complimenting each other. With the success Prescott and Elliott have had I wouldnít be surprised.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:45:49 PM by Syferus »

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: March 05, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
I think that's it. They have first and fourth right? They can pick Barkley first and still get a good QB at 4. But they'll need someone to bridge until the Rookie is ready at QB unless they want to fire him in. Maybe Kizer can do a holding job.

Clov

• View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: March 05, 2018, 06:44:33 PM »
I think it is probably more accurate to say Jacksonville rode their defense to the championship game. Fournette had a good season though arguably 2 later round picks (Kamara and Hunt) had better seasons. I don't think Fournette was worth the 4th overall pick.

Having so much draft capital and needs at nearly every position does give the Browns the option of going with the 'best player available' approach though. I just think the upgrade an elite RB gives you over a serviceable back is not as great or as transformative as as the upgrade you get with other positions - QB being the obvious one, but also edge rusher, left tackle, inside rusher, CB and even WR. The running back position is relatively less valuable than each of these positions in the NFL imo.

May be some evaluators think Barkley is a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders level talent, in which case he might go 1st overall. I suspect they'll either take a QB first or trade out of their with someone looking a QB.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: March 05, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
I think it is probably more accurate to say Jacksonville rode their defense to the championship game. Fournette had a good season though arguably 2 later round picks (Kamara and Hunt) had better seasons. I don't think Fournette was worth the 4th overall pick.

Having so much draft capital and needs at nearly every position does give the Browns the option of going with the 'best player available' approach though. I just think the upgrade an elite RB gives you over a serviceable back is not as great or as transformative as as the upgrade you get with other positions - QB being the obvious one, but also edge rusher, left tackle, inside rusher, CB and even WR. The running back position is relatively less valuable than each of these positions in the NFL imo.

May be some evaluators think Barkley is a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders level talent, in which case he might go 1st overall. I suspect they'll either take a QB first or trade out of their with someone looking a QB.

The time Fournette ate up rested the defense. Continual 3 and outs on offence will destroy even the best defense in history.

Itís no coincidence that most of that defence was in place in 2016 but it wasnít until Fournette got the running game going and upped their time of possession that things really clicked on defense. Kamara and Hunt would have been destroyed by Fournetteís workload last season. Very different types of players. Itís also a hell of a lot easier to run when youíve Drew Brees and Mark Ingram around you..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:53:49 PM by Syferus »

Clov

• View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: March 05, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »

The time Fournette ate up rested the defense. Continual 3 and outs on offence will destroy even the best defense in history.

Itís no coincidence that most of that defence was in place in 2016 but it wasnít until Fournette got the running game going and upped their time of possession that things really clicked on defense. Kamara and Hunt would have been destroyed by Fournetteís workload last season. Very different types of players. Itís also a hell of a lot easier to run when youíve Drew Brees and Mark Ingram around you..

The jags were 18th in plays per drive last season. Up from 20th in plays per drive the season before. Not much evidence of the offense taking the weight of the defense with the addition of Fournette there.
Hunt had more carries than Fournette and gained a whole yard per carry more than him. He also had more receptions.

Fournette is a good player and contributed to the Jags success this year no doubt. Its a bit silly though to imply that he turned their defense into the league leader.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
Browns taking abc early dog at free agency, traded for Travis Taylor, Jarvis Landry & Randall from GB. All three should immediately improve them
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

• View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: March 10, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »
Pleased with the Browns' moves.  Tyrod Taylor is a much better bridge QB than other options (e.g. McCarron). He's used to playing in bitter Lake Erie winter weather. All I want now is for the move to persuade LT Joe Thomas to stay for another year to block for him.  Happy too that with all the trades the Browns still managed to keep their 1st and 2nd round draft picks, I believe.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: March 10, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
Pleased with the Browns' moves.  Tyrod Taylor is a much better bridge QB than other options (e.g. McCarron). He's used to playing in bitter Lake Erie winter weather. All I want now is for the move to persuade LT Joe Thomas to stay for another year to block for him.  Happy too that with all the trades the Browns still managed to keep their 1st and 2nd round draft picks, I believe.

Yeah 65th pick for Taylor I think, top of the third round. Shelton away to the Pats by the look of it

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: March 11, 2018, 01:21:38 AM »
Richard Sherman signs with the 49ers on a 3 year deal.

stew

• View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: March 11, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »

Some player but past his best. Salary cap implications for the 9ers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:20 AM »

Dunno canít imagine there are huge guarantees for a player that is 30 coming off a torn Achilles

RealSpiritof98

• View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: March 11, 2018, 11:49:50 PM »

Dunno canít imagine there are huge guarantees for a player that is 30 coming off a torn Achilles

Great signing if he stays fit. A lot of die hard faithful furious. Niners had a ton of cap to play with this off season.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: March 11, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »
I love what the Browns are doing. Sherman a great pickup for the 49ers and a contract where Sherman is backing himself makes sense. Word is that he's recovering well and will be ready for training camp no problem. He's getting on but still and incredible player. Russell Wilson will now have to deal with him twice a season. Seattle are really in full rebuild mode.

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: March 12, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
I love what the Browns are doing. Sherman a great pickup for the 49ers and a contract where Sherman is backing himself makes sense. Word is that he's recovering well and will be ready for training camp no problem. He's getting on but still and incredible player. Russell Wilson will now have to deal with him twice a season. Seattle are really in full rebuild mode.

The Browns trading is brilliant, whatever way it goes. They have messed up the draft so many times they may as well try and take advantage of their picks, salary cap space (and other teams lack of) to make a big statement. Apparently they have left other teams plans in a mess.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: March 13, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »
Cousins confirmed to the Vikings. 3 years, $86m. Fully guaranteed.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"