Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: Dreadnought on March 24, 2023, 10:51:37 PM
Looks like Rian O'Neill will be missing for Armagh if they get through to the quarter versus us. Big loss for them

Id be more concerned about McVetty been missing than who they have or haven't we are not the same team without him.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 27, 2023, 10:42:27 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 24, 2023, 10:51:37 PM
Looks like Rian O'Neill will be missing for Armagh if they get through to the quarter versus us. Big loss for them

Id be more concerned about McVetty been missing than who they have or haven't we are not the same team without him.

Fully agree. Lynch missing too. Gerry Smith wasn't togged out. Carolan went off injured. If those 4 aren't there for 4 weeks time, it'll be a tough ask. Hope they're all just niggles and we get them all back. They're needed

5times5times

Armagh's 2 best players in O'Neill + Murnin will be missing, should they beat Antrim + play Cavan

Itchy

Poor stuff from our U20s last night. I thought we looked so clueless at times, I struggle to think of a game I ever saw that frustrated me so much. WHen the lad comes on as a sub for example and takes a shot from the sideline with his 1st touch. Just mad stuff. Really a game we threw away.

Denn Forever

For those of us  that  can't make it up, at least it on TG4 at 7pm.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dreadnought

How do folks. What did we reckon of Saturday then? Great to get the win. There was some amount of sandbagging about lads injured. How does one wear a protective moon boot, yet 6 days later player for over 70 minutes? Think it was always going to be tough for them to get down off the high of promotion, and then get ready for this. They celebrated (rightly) last week while we were looking forward to the final from the week before. Our Croke Park experience also came to the fore as well I think. Been a while since they were there, and probably had only a few players from that time. We've been there quite a lot recently and it can make a difference.

Saying all that, that 1st half was really tight. It was shocking football to be honest. The conditions didn't help clearly, but suppose it was the arm wrestle that it would be until we took control. It was good to see Graham make changes. McKenna was unlucky (and his interaction with Mickey coming off says it all), but I think that's fine with being on a yellow, and he has the fire in his belly. But with Conor Brady in, McLoughlin too (who is outrageous) we did grab this game and those 5 scores on the bounce after half time, and the same again at the end told the story. So many missed goal chances again that any other day we'd have 2 or so. That half was really good after probably 2.5 halves of poor football. And can lead us very well into the QF. Faulkner was class, Kelm barely got a sniff all game. McLoughlin is just so good. Many times it was him effecting a turnover, getting a hand in, or coming out with the ball. GMac was quiet. He seemed to get wound up early by something and spent rest of the game looking annoyed and trying to get one back. Unusual to see him subbed, but maybe a wee kick he needs.

Anyway, overall good win, good to see some players back, and good to see strong bench appearances by some. It is a 20 man game these days and we needed that. Roll on the Quarters now. I have no fear of any team on our side. I expect a strong Quarter final showing, and set us up to push to the final.

Itchy

I think the lads up'd the intensity in the 2nd half, really putting pressure on Fermanagh and as a result showing they are a good bit ahead of the neighbours. BUT we fairly butchered goal scoring chances, I reckon with a bit of composure we should have had 3 goals. Ryan O Neill for example worked very hard, did some good stuff but made some really poor decisions and messed up a few passes. McLoughlin was outstanding I think when he came on - but hopefully Carolan is not injured. Gearoid is worryingly still off the pace from what I saw. Faulkner, McVetty, McLoughlin, Clarke, Holla were the ones who took the fight to Fermanagh.

What we saw in Croke Park wont beat Armagh so I can only hope Graham has something else up his sleeve for them.

Westside

Fully agree on all of that Itchy. McLoughlin is just a fantastic defender. In an era where so much of our tackling is sloppy, his ability to get the hand in and dispossess cleanly is outstanding. He changed the game for Cavan.

I felt bad for McKenna, no matter the reason behind it being subbed off after less than 20 minutes during a televised game when we are leading 2 points to nothing is embarrassing. I suppose his pride was hurt and that's why he challenged Mickey, he would have been better served to keep his head down and take it up with Mickey in private but that's easier said than done. He's put in a mountain of time and effort to get his chance, the big test now is if he can come back from this incident or if it's soured things for him.

Gearoid's form is very worrying, his lack of mobility is becoming more pronounced. The question needs to be asked though, why leave him playing full forward and not test the waters with a few high balls in his direction? If we are playing him, we need to play to his strengths.

I was impressed with Oisin Brady, he made some silly errors and it looked like the game was passing him by but he really stepped up in the final 10 minutes or so.

I think the Armagh game will be a very tough ask, the favourites usually win and I'd imagine Armagh will be strong favourites. They have been playing a very defensive game so far and Cavan have struggled to break down the massed defences. If they were flying high coming into the game I'd be more confident of an ambush but the relegation and general low mood about them will take the pressure off them and give them some spite to work with. Mickey has consistently got us to a different level for Championship and he'll certainly need the biggest first round bounce of his tenure for us to win this game.

marty34

Yeah, I suppose the lad coming off was annoyed alright.  Just frustrated more than anything.

He was on a yellow so that was the only thing. Maybe manager thought he was getting too involved and might get another silly booking. That's my take on it.

Westside

Quote from: marty34 on April 03, 2023, 12:21:24 PM
Yeah, I suppose the lad coming off was annoyed alright.  Just frustrated more than anything.

He was on a yellow so that was the only thing. Maybe manager thought he was getting too involved and might get another silly booking. That's my take on it.

Yeah it was decisive management from Graham, tough on McKenna but probably the right decision.

Dreadnought

Big week ahead folks. Looking forward to the match Saturday evening, and weather giving to be decent. Armagh will bring a big crowd. Been a while since we had a fairly full Breffni. They'll be on full alert especially with Monaghan pulling off a wee shock yesterday. They're supposedly still without O'Neill and maybe Murnin, but who knows the story these days - they could both start come 6.30 on Saturday. Anyone got any word on how our boys are going? Think there was a challenge with Meath last weekend. We'd be hoping to have all those injuries cleared up and get a good run at these. They do poorly against us in Championship recently, and don't like Breffni. Bring it on

Itchy

I see no reason we cannot win this game. No saying it will be easy and we will need to be playing at our best. I will be disappointed if we do not win it. Get over this game and no reason we cannot give Ulster a right go considering our bogey team just exited.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on April 17, 2023, 02:02:07 PM
I see no reason we cannot win this game. No saying it will be easy and we will need to be playing at our best. I will be disappointed if we do not win it. Get over this game and no reason we cannot give Ulster a right go considering our bogey team just exited.
100% there. I'm expecting a win, and while that will take a big performance, I think we have it in us. I did have a little cheer for Tyrone going out yesterday, even if our dear neighbours were the beneficiaries.

Westside

Expecting a win, I'd love to have your confidence lads!

I think there are big holes visible in the side. Carolan is struggling for form and fitness. Gearoid looks all at sea. McVeety clearly isn't fit. Midfield is a worry.

I think to win we need everyone firing and fit and a good rub of the green. That looks unlikely.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 17, 2023, 07:31:36 PM
Expecting a win, I'd love to have your confidence lads!

I think there are big holes visible in the side. Carolan is struggling for form and fitness. Gearoid looks all at sea. McVeety clearly isn't fit. Midfield is a worry.

I think to win we need everyone firing and fit and a good rub of the green. That looks unlikely.
I wouldn't say big holes. those are things that can clear up quite nicely in 3 weeks. McVeety was wearing a boot before and after the final. He's had 3 weeks more and if was fit to play in any way in the final, he'll be fine this weekend. GMac did have a poor game. By his standards, and we do hold him to that. I can't ever remember him having 2 poor games in a row. Carolan was struggling, but these things clear up with a break, and Mickey will have been aiming for this game. making sure the S&C was aimed toward this weekend. And he always holds something up his sleeve for Championship. I know that if we're right and have the players back with these injuries cleared up, that we can win. We play a team missing 2 important players, have a few other niggles themselves, and they come to a ground they don't like against a team they've struggled with in Championship. They're not great when someone goes at them. And I think we will