Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

This thread was started in 2006. 14 years later, we captured the big one.

Onthe40

Quote from: Look-Up! on November 20, 2020, 03:01:45 PM
Big day getting closer now and can feel the butterflies starting.
Reading around, no one outside Cavan is realistically giving us a chance. All the experts don't rate us, period. Most other counties fans admire us for getting this far, that's about the height of it. Some Donegal fans are extremely cocky and fully expect a tame workout for their team and then a nice injury free break before their big showdown with the Jones Road Globetrotters. I say some, of course most of them are typical Donegal people, polite and respectful, and talk about Cavan's tradition, expect tough battle, no Ulster easy bla bla bla. But realistically their Ulster final was Tyrone once Monaghan were dumped out, and deep down a loss to Cavan would be unspeakable.
Obviously all this is for very good reason but it's setup for a major upset. Great team as they are and competitive as their squad is, hopefully a bit of this mindset seeps in. We'll need to be on our game from the off and bring a level of intensity they are not expecting. Team selection will be vital too and whatever about having options from the bench later on, we cannot afford some of the passengers we have had starting so far. It's gonna take a monster collective effort for the whole 70mins but if we let them settle for the first 10 then I don't think it's doable.

it wad doable alright,, everything that was said in this piece that had to happen, happened for Cavan.. deadly stuff...
So here's hoping and wishing all the best of luck. I think we have a talented team, should have learned from last year, and hope whoever plays a part Sunday leaves everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on the field and give these Donegal boys a good kick up the arse. That's more important than the result!

Onthe40

it was doable alright,, everything that was said in this piece that had to happen, happened for Cavan.. deadly stuff...

Look-Up!

Absolutely incredible performance yesterday. Those lads have made the county immensely immensely proud. There were no weak links, each one to a man performed heroically and even 2nd half when you're thinking we might need to freshen things up, hand on heart I couldn't name a player who I thought needed to come off. I can't remember a more complete performance from a Cavan team. Very emotional scenes at the end, hard not to be affected by it all. Enjoy the next few days, let it all sink in, then we can focus back to championship matters.

Westside

Mickey didn't put anyone on today that couldn't compete physically. Conor Smith was probably the lad with the least amount of conditioning. It showed at times but he did win a few balls and held his own. Everyone else was fit for the pace and power of Donegal. Ruthless and smart by Mickey Graham.

Itchy

Only just started to compose myself after that win. I had a suspicion, an inkling, one I was almost afraid to express that there was something big going to come from Cavan on Sunday. But what a performance. Aggression, bravery and a frantic work rate that clearly caught Donegal out. So many heros around the field, so many players that did big things at key times in the game. James Smiths 2nd point, his spectacular mark. Thomas Galligans mark at the end, his refusal to lie down. Jason picking murphys pocket. Raymond making saves. Conroys block. Gearoids bravery to stick a long ball into the mixer instead of playing keep ball. I could go on and on. We owe these players a huge debt of gratitude for all they have done.

Mickey Graham, what do you say. It is hard to believe 4 weeks ago some idiots were looking for him to be sacked (now they are a particularly dim bunch of idiots over on hoganstand, granted). He was done something that has never been done before and will probably never be done again. He has managed a team to Ulster victory from the preliminary round, 4 games in 4 weeks. Astonishing. Adding that to his success in Mullinanaughta means Mickey has to be considered one of the top managers in the country. We need to hold onto this man at all costs.

I think a huge thanks is also due to players and coaches and mentors that soldiered for so many years and missed out. Moynagh and McVitty hopefully will be back and get their chance again. Mackey, very sad for him to miss out. People like Hyland and McCarthy that did such incredible work built the foundations for this triumph. There are loads of others.

Next up the Dubs. I'd love to see them took out of Croke Park. They have all the advantages going. If we want to win and not just have a day out I say get the game to Armagh and lets give it another rattle. Cavan should request a Neutral venue to give us the best chance to win, however I am sure such thoughts are a million miles away from the minds of decision makers in Croke Park.

Finally, I really hope we have learned from 97. After that win we lost our manager. We lost the entire spine of the team to retirement shortly after - King, Damien Reilly, Morris, Ciaran Brady, Cahill etc. I hope Mickey can convince lads to stick together so we can build momentum and stay at the top. It will be a failure in my mind if 20 years later we have no Ulsters or other trophies to back this up.

Westside

Watched the BBC coverage of the game today. Realised how much of an impact Oisin Kiernan had. I always thought he floated around the edges of games but he's really getting stuck in now. He won ball in our full back line and kicked a couple of scores, the second of which was an audacious score at the most vital point in the game. He showed it in the club championship and he showed it again Sunday; he's a clutch player.

Itchy I was only thinking yesterday about what lessons can be learned from 97. I really hope Martin Reilly and Gearoid can give it a couple more years and let the younger lads grow in their slipstream before they exit.
You would hope that because of the condensed championship this year that lads might not be mentally drained and could ride this wave of positivity into the league next year.
Nothing can be taken for granted in Div 3 (ask Cork, Down etc) but lads could be looking at that Division as there for the taking if they give it the respect it deserves. Another title to go for without the suffocating need to win a medal, any medal, at senior level. That monkey is off their backs now. 

The age profile is decent in the squad and hopefully we won't have any lads in their prime hanging up their boots. If McVeety or Moynagh return and want to be involved they would undoubtedly strengthen things but if not, they will no longer be pined after. But the thought of a McVeety and Thomas Galligan full forward line is a tasty prospect.. I would love to see the two lads come back into the fold and complete the set of medals.

Mickey it seems, knows his business. Looking forward to see if he can bring through the likes of Caoimhin McGovern, Oisin Brady and develop Stephen Smith and Cormac Reilly and Oisin Pierson into players capable of leading the line for Cavan.

Sunday has changed Cavan football for this generation. I really hope that once the celebrations die down, the powers that be are sitting down to decide how to build on this.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on November 24, 2020, 11:01:34 AM
Only just started to compose myself after that win. I had a suspicion, an inkling, one I was almost afraid to express that there was something big going to come from Cavan on Sunday. But what a performance. Aggression, bravery and a frantic work rate that clearly caught Donegal out. So many heros around the field, so many players that did big things at key times in the game. James Smiths 2nd point, his spectacular mark. Thomas Galligans mark at the end, his refusal to lie down. Jason picking murphys pocket. Raymond making saves. Conroys block. Gearoids bravery to stick a long ball into the mixer instead of playing keep ball. I could go on and on. We owe these players a huge debt of gratitude for all they have done.

Mickey Graham, what do you say. It is hard to believe 4 weeks ago some idiots were looking for him to be sacked (now they are a particularly dim bunch of idiots over on hoganstand, granted). He was done something that has never been done before and will probably never be done again. He has managed a team to Ulster victory from the preliminary round, 4 games in 4 weeks. Astonishing. Adding that to his success in Mullinanaughta means Mickey has to be considered one of the top managers in the country. We need to hold onto this man at all costs.

I think a huge thanks is also due to players and coaches and mentors that soldiered for so many years and missed out. Moynagh and McVitty hopefully will be back and get their chance again. Mackey, very sad for him to miss out. People like Hyland and McCarthy that did such incredible work built the foundations for this triumph. There are loads of others.

Next up the Dubs. I'd love to see them took out of Croke Park. They have all the advantages going. If we want to win and not just have a day out I say get the game to Armagh and lets give it another rattle. Cavan should request a Neutral venue to give us the best chance to win, however I am sure such thoughts are a million miles away from the minds of decision makers in Croke Park.

Finally, I really hope we have learned from 97. After that win we lost our manager. We lost the entire spine of the team to retirement shortly after - King, Damien Reilly, Morris, Ciaran Brady, Cahill etc. I hope Mickey can convince lads to stick together so we can build momentum and stay at the top. It will be a failure in my mind if 20 years later we have no Ulsters or other trophies to back this up.

Itchy, how many of this team/panel would have come from the 4 U21 teams a while back?

Cavan19

Quote from: marty34 on November 24, 2020, 11:29:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 24, 2020, 11:01:34 AM

Itchy, how many of this team/panel would have come from the 4 U21 teams a while back?

I think 6 of them now have Ulster Minor, U-21 and Senior medals and McVitty and Moynagh would have been in that group as well.

Westside

McLoughlin, Clarke, Killian Brady, Padraig Faulkner, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady, Gearoid McKiernan, Chris Conroy, Niall Murray, Conor Madden and Paul Graham have all played in this year's championship and have one or more U21 medals and some have a minor medal from 2011.
Luke Fortune, T Galligan and T.E.D have MacRory Cup medals.
Liam Buchannan was an unused substitute and has U21 and Minor medals.
Oisin Pierson, Cormac Timoney and James Smith would both have played in an Ulster Final and All Ireland Semi-Final at Minor level.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on November 25, 2020, 10:37:02 AM
McLoughlin, Clarke, Killian Brady, Padraig Faulkner, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady, Gearoid McKiernan, Chris Conroy, Niall Murray, Conor Madden and Paul Graham have all played in this year's championship and have one or more U21 medals and some have a minor medal from 2011.
Luke Fortune, T Galligan and T.E.D have MacRory Cup medals.
Liam Buchannan was an unused substitute and has U21 and Minor medals.
Oisin Pierson, Cormac Timoney and James Smith would both have played in an Ulster Final and All Ireland Semi-Final at Minor level.

Was McLoughlin on one of the U21 teams, he definetly wasnt on the minor team.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on November 25, 2020, 11:57:19 AM

Was McLoughlin on one of the U21 teams, he definetly wasnt on the minor team.

He was on at least the first 2 winning U21 teams in 2011 & 2012.

Itchy

You are right, I always though Jason was a bit older.  I checked it out, here are the teams that played t he finals in those 4 years...

A O'Mara; M Leddy, O Minagh, D Tighe, K Meehan, D Barkey, M Brady, G McKiernan [0-2], F Flanagan, N Smith, N Murray [1-0], B Reilly [0-2], J Brady [0-4], N McDermott, P Leddy. Subs: T Mooney for Tighe, P King [0-2] for M Leddy, C McClarey for Smith, C Smith for McDermott, D Flanagan for Reilly

C Gilsenan, F Flanagan, K Brady, J McLoughlin, D Sexton (1-0, pen), C Moynagh, M Brady, P Leddy, K Clarke, J Dillon (0-1), C Conroy, R Lynch (0-1), J Brady (0-3, 2f), K Tierney (0-5, 5f), N O'Donnell.
Subs: P King for Brady, B Reilly for Dillon, S Nolan for Conroy, PP O'Hara for Reilly

Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough); Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Killian Clarke (Shercock), Ciaran Brady (Arva); Daragh McVeety (Crosserlough), Daragh Sexton (Cavan Gaels), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge); Brian Sankey (Shercock), Michael Argue (Bailieborough); Gerry Smith (Lavey), Chris Conroy (Lavey), Turloc Mooney (Redhills); Enda O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Paul O'Connor (Cavan Gaels), Jack Brady (Ramor Utd).
Subs: Chris Madden for Conroy, Paul Graham for Mooney.

J Farrelly; B Fortune, K Clarke, P Faulkner; G Smith, C Moynagh, C Brady; L Buchanan, M Argue; P Graham, E Flanagan, A Watson; D McVetty, K Bouchier, J Dillon
Subs: A O'Hara for Moynagh (BC, 22), T Hayes for Bouchier (40), E Hession for Flanagan (47)

mrdeeds

I'm still on cloud nine but it's beginning to sink in. I'm now actually thinking about the Dublin game and trying to do match ups in my head and wondering what tactical approach we need to take.

redzone

Jesus but mcveety will be sick. What was he thinking, he would have been winning captain for his club.