Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2014, 01:19:40 PM
Lads, can any of you tell who the management team are for the Cavan junior football team?

Same as seniors afaik.

Zulu

I know Terry Hyland is manager of the seniors but would anyone have the names of the selectors, if they are the same as the senior set up? A friend of mine is involved in producing the programme for Scotland v Cavan and they haven't been able to get the information of the Cavan CB as far as i know.

cavanlad

Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2014, 03:52:37 PM
I know Terry Hyland is manager of the seniors but would anyone have the names of the selectors, if they are the same as the senior set up? A friend of mine is involved in producing the programme for Scotland v Cavan and they haven't been able to get the information of the Cavan CB as far as i know.

Terry Hyland, Anthony Forde, Padraig Dolan, Joe McCarthy, Peter Donnelly
My ignore list - Richiej

Zulu

Thanks lads, I'll pass it on.

Westside

Was in Breffni this evening for Templeport v Corlough. Corlough were a sad sight.. Missing about 7 main players they could barely field a team and were well beaten in all sectors of the field. Probably the worst sight for myself was seeing Brendan McGovern stationed at full back. I remember seeing him playing Minor in 2005/6 and thinking he was among the best young forwards in the county at the time.

Hard to know where Templeport are after that, they won't have learned much. Liam Galligan looked quality and scored about 2-3 but he was given a lot of space and time. Sean Dolan very solid around the middle and young Michael Devine and Paddy McGoldrick are two very natural defenders. They'll be worried about the frees though, Dillon Raythorne kicked some very scorable ones wide. Again though they won't be any wiser about their chances this year after that, I think Cornafean are up next. Corlough, well it's damage limitation and a team that we may see not fielding a team within the next few years. 

mylestheslasher

Corlough have been doing well to survive as a club. Even 10 or more years ago in the best of times when I knew a few of the players they were always struggling with lads being away. Some day in the near future some of these clubs are going to have to amalgamate or merge into another. Kill were the junior champions last year and also suffered a heavy defeat. Killeshandra Intermediate champs took a heavy defeat although I don't think thats anything to do with emigration and more to do with the team not putting in the effort this year, it could be a short stay in the Senior championship for them unless they buck up their ideas.

Delighted to see the U16s win the Gerry Reilly tournament, good spread of club represented. Its a fine achievement to win such a tournament but also the manner of the crushing defeats they handed out is also impressive. I'm not familiar with who is in charge of these U16s but would they be an option for the minor team? Last years minors were wasted by terrible management, we need to start producing winning teams at that level again.

rodney trotter

Danny Brady - Mullahoran was over the u16's, Andy McGovern, Eamon Brady, James Moynagh the rest of the managment.
They played a nice style of football, didn't play with any sweepers.

They done well considering the Co board had a load  of club u16 games during that period, no rest for the players. They aren't playing in the Fr Manning Cup - something to do with player burnout.

Westside

They have been doing well to field a team at all for the past few years. Joining with Swad could be an option.

Templeport could cause a few problems for other sides in Junior this year. They have had a decent core of players for the past few years and are now fitting in their talented younger players around that. If Ben Kiernan and Seamus McAweeney came back into that forward line it would look as good as any front 6 in the Junior Championship. Still, it's usually the old dog for the hard road so it might not be their time just yet.

The U16 results were very impressive but will have very little bearing on Ulster Championship in 2 years time. The management look to have proven themselves at this level and surely they can't be as bad as the last pair so I'd say they deserve serious consideration for the position if they want it.

rodney trotter

The last pair got an average enough Cavan team the first Minor title in over 30 years. There was more talented Cavan Minor teams before then that did noting, the constant slating of that managment is a bit unnecesary.

Whoever get the Minor job will have to work well with the coaches in Pats and Virginia so that there won't be a situation like this year. It was the first time Pats had done well in McRory in a long time so it was a new situation to deal with it.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 03, 2014, 01:27:03 PM
The last pair got an average enough Cavan team the first Minor title in over 30 years. There was more talented Cavan Minor teams before then that did noting, the constant slating of that managment is a bit unnecesary.

Whoever get the Minor job will have to work well with the coaches in Pats and Virginia so that there won't be a situation like this year. It was the first time Pats had done well in McRory in a long time so it was a new situation to deal with it.

An average enough Minor team?! Sankey, Killian Clarke, Gerry Smith, Conor Moynagh, Paul Graham, Joe Dillon, Liam Buchanan, Michael Argue, Andy Graham Kevin Bouchier, Dara McVeety, Nevin O'Donnell all went on to win 2 or 3 Ulster U21 Championships each. By national standards that's not an average group of players never mind in comparison to Minor footballers from Cavan for the past number of years.

We hear that same old song every single year about Cavan Minor teams, Rodney you were saying this years Minors had an Ulster title in them before a ball was kicked this year, they were hammered in the first round by an Armagh team who lost the Ulster final and got annihilated by Mayo in the QF. 

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on August 03, 2014, 03:04:27 PM

An average enough Minor team?! Sankey, Killian Clarke, Gerry Smith, Conor Moynagh, Paul Graham, Joe Dillon, Liam Buchanan, Michael Argue, Andy Graham Kevin Bouchier, Dara McVeety, Nevin O'Donnell all went on to win 2 or 3 Ulster U21 Championships each. By national standards that's not an average group of players never mind in comparison to Minor footballers from Cavan for the past number of years.

We hear that same old song every single year about Cavan Minor teams, Rodney you were saying this years Minors had an Ulster title in them before a ball was kicked this year, they were hammered in the first round by an Armagh team who lost the Ulster final and got annihilated by Mayo in the QF.

Yes at the time they were an average enough team, Im not talking about after that... There was low expectation of that team after a poor Minor league campaign that year. Those players have obviously pushed on and performed well at u21 level

What did i say about next years Minor team Westside? just saying whoever is over the team needs to get the structure right regarding the lads on the Pats and Virginia team so that they can train more collectively. They need to have good preperation in order to be competitive, never said they would be winning ulster next year. so maybe read it right. As for the dig about me saying they would win Ulster this year- they performed well in the league so there was some hope that would do well - never said would win it just that there was good talent in that team and more so in attack. Cavan beat Armagh well in the Minor league so there was hope - just didnt peform on the day.

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 03, 2014, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: Westside on August 03, 2014, 03:04:27 PM

Yes at the time they were an average enough team, Im not talking about after that... There was low expectation of that team after a poor Minor league campaign that year. Those players have obviously pushed on and performed well at u21 level

What did i say about next years Minor team Westside? just saying whoever is over the team needs to get the structure right regarding the lads on the Pats and Virginia team so that they can train more collectively. They need to have good preperation in order to be competitive, never said they would be winning ulster next year. so maybe read it right. As for the dig about me saying they would win Ulster this year- they performed well in the league so there was some hope that would do well - never said would win it just that there was good talent in that team and more so in attack. Cavan beat Armagh well in the Minor league so there was hope - just didnt peform on the day.

Gary Donohoe came upon a rag tag group of youngsters in Cavan and turned them into a bunch of lads who went on to never lose an underage game in Ulster Championship. Are you sure you weren't watching the Mighty Ducks instead rodders?

What I said was that you had posted that THIS YEAR'S Minor team were capable of winning Ulster. This year is 2014. And they got hammered by Armagh.
So on the one hand we have the average 2011 Minor team (Won the Ulster Minor Championship and most featured in the winning of 3 consecutive Ulster U21 Championships) and then we have the extremely talented 2014 Minor team, complete with, as you put it before the game, "free scoring forwards" who were beaten by 10 points in the first round managing 6 points. Logic by rodney.

rodney trotter

What bull are you talking. The team in 2011 as i had highlted earlier when you were criticizing Donahoe had been poor that year in the Minor League. They obviously clicked in the championshiop - but it was a surprise to most as there more talent in other teams  prior to that team to win the first title in over 30 years

The team in 2014 I said had talented forwards and I thought they were capable of beating Armagh as they showed good form in the league. I never said they were going to win Ulster but capable.

And Im not mystic meg so I wasn't to know they would lose by 10pts to Armagh

mylestheslasher

Our Junior team easily beat Scotland today 1-17 to 0-6. They will meet Kerry in the final who had a big win over Sligo, despite the teams being level at half time. The Cavan team looks weaker now with Turloc Mooney and Phillip Tinnelly out having played for the seniors and I see Conor Moynagh wasn't playing either. The final is in two weeks exact date and time not set yet. Despite this being a forgotten competition, I would not underestimate the importance of winning a national title.

rodney trotter

Think Moynagh is in America. Strange that he went when he was still involved with the Juniors. He won't be back until the end of the month according to the Celt so unlikely to be involved in the final.

Kerry have a good record at Junior and will be strong again, they beat Cavan 2 years ago in the Semi.