Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LackenLegend

I have to say i agree with the lads' comments above. Many people would kill to play county football. Imagine what is was like years ago when county players got F all for their troubles. I think a bit of greed is involved here. Its the poor punter who is paying the price. If people didn't show up to watch these games then the players wouldn't be too bothered. But no, they get a kick out of playing in front of big crowds, something most people can only dream about. Not to mention all the gear and perks they get for doing something they love. They are not forced to play the game so i think they should like it or lump it.
Timmmmy!

anglocelt39

Mouthpiece Dessie has been spoiling for a fight for a long time and he's got it now. As far as I'm concerned he's backed himself and his GPA mates into a corner out of which they will find it hard to escape. I can tell you from a personal viewpoint that Nicky Brennan will be well fit for him in this little skirmish. I reckon the authorities will just sit this one out and let Dessie and co wriggle. Nothing to do with us, these elite player grants says the GAA, and there is a not fully representative group of players who want to go on strike over it, ok lads sit out the Mckenna and O Byrne cup for a few rounds and see who takes the flak.

Dessie's been seeking attention for some time now and he might get it, interesting to see what he's made of when the heat turns on him.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

None of the Cavan players can complain about their treatment,thats for sure,Money brought in by great fundraising by The Dublin Cavan Supporters club etc is thrown at the County team each year,despite the fact that we go out of the championship most years very early,we always seem to spend more on our team that most who are in the championship 2 months more.

Would be interesting to know what the support for the strike was like in the Cavan camp.

cavanmaniac

I'm glad it has come to this point at last. Only now will we truly see if the emporer has no clothes; up to now there's been a certain fear factor over the potential for a strike. Now they've finally gone for broke let's just wait and see how many of the 95% have the balls to go through with it and face the wrath of the GAA communities at large in their own counties. It's one thing having socks down protests and late start protests and what have you, another entirely to refuse to play.

I fully agree with all comments above. If the players do decide to sit it out, then leave them to their own devices to f**k with them. The assumption underpinning the 'decision' to strike is that the games and the association cannot and somehow won't survive without the current players. The answer to that has to be to call their bluff and leave them sitting on the sidelines in their free gear and allow 15 others to take their place. No player is bigger than the association and must never be allowed to be.

Players deserve to be treated properly and the GPA has done laudible work, with a previously very reticent GAA, to improve conditions. And fair play to them for that. However, what have they done for the club player outside the 1800 or so (not that they've ever told us how many members they have so how many counties haven't signed up for this. Keeping that very quiet aren't they?) elitist intercounty members on their books? They're all about looking after themselves and the top johnnies, and nobody else, and now 'looking after' doesn't concern meals and tickets, it's all about cold hard cash. This grant thing or however they want to dress it up is just the thin end of the wedge as regards pay for play and everybody knows it, and as such could be the beginning of the end for an association already suffering and alienating people because of an obsession with money.

There has to be a better way of rewarding players for their efforts than paying them.

The actuarial report about loss of earnings was certainly interesting. I'd love to see a similar report documenting the money players actually make through being an interconunty player, in nixers here and there, through getting sales rep jobs, through having jobs invented for them by the county board to keep them at home and so on. There's alot of intercounty players in jobs that wouldn't have them if they weren't intercounty players, nobody is commissioning actuarial reports into any of that.

f**king GPA are a bunch of grasping c***ts.

Hollow Man

QuoteThe actuarial report about loss of earnings was certainly interesting. I'd love to see a similar report documenting the money players actually make through being an interconunty player, in nixers here and there, through getting sales rep jobs, through having jobs invented for them by the county board to keep them at home and so on. There's alot of intercounty players in jobs that wouldn't have them if they weren't intercounty players, nobody is commissioning actuarial reports into any of that.

Hear hear. Well said Maniac.

CoillyG

Very well put Maniac, my thoughts exactly.

mylestheslasher

Oh dear - looks like the GPA haven't much of a fanbase amongst the Cavan board members :D. I hear Lacken beat Kingscourt relegating them to Div 2. Anyone at the game or know the score? I presume Lackenlegend will let us know when he logs on today.

Hollow Man

Lacken won 1-8 to 0-6

Kingscourt were brutal, R McCormack scored all of their six, all of them were frees

Lacken were leading 1-7 to 0-2 early in the second half and then took their foot off the pedal

CC1

I see Cavan Gaels beat Denn by 45 points in the division 1 Under 21 championship... Am I the only one who thinks that this layout for the u21 championship is absolutely ridiculous?! I remember playing the majority of this Denn team a few years in a row a while back and with all due respect they were a struggling Rionn C side then and on one occasion they couldn't field a team (7 of their players turned up).

Surely teams like Denn should be in Division 2 for such championships and teams like Ballinagh, Lavey, Ballyhaise and maybe even Shercock (we have a very strong side this year) could give Division 1 a go.

On another note and again, nothing against Denn! Well done to our u16 side who won their championship at the expense of Denn yesterday. Great team performance and lots of potential there for the future for us. That is a few underage titles we have won this year, well done to all involved.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

LackenLegend

Great win for Lacken. Commiserations to Kingscourt. This match was not as evenly contested as the las with Lacken in control for most of it. As said before Kingscourt depended on the frees. For a change Lacken did not direct everything through Finbar Reilly as Kingscourt expected and this allowed other players to get on the scoreboard. Powerful perfmance by Lacken. Kingscourt beware, Div2 is not am easy place to get out of but best of luck.

P.S. Nice pic above Thastheball
Timmmmy!

billy the kid

Best picture on entire site!!!!
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Handball Ace

QuoteGowna won the senior league yesterday, a 1 pt win over Castlerahan. Rahan need to get a little bit more size into their team, to make the championship break through, although they seem to doing alot of work at underage level, which could eventually find the 2/3 players they need.

That was only the semi

They play the scum, I mean Cavan Gaels, in the final...

Joke there by the way any sensitive Gaels fellas.... ;D

cavan4ever

Supose the gaels will win that aswell.  They have won some amount of trophies this year.

Handball Ace

In relative terms though, their senior team is still one of the worst in the province.

LackenLegend

Good win for neighbours Gowna. I think we might see an upset in the final. Gowna's Niall Madden seems to be in flying form since Pierson's departure. Maybe its because all the ball was previously directed to Pierson and others didn't get the chance to get on the scoresheet. That said Pierson is still in the top three forwards in the county. I heard a rumour that he will be home for the final. Anybody know if this is true? Castlerahan's midfield were dominated by an ageing Ciaran Brady. Surely not a good sign for the maroons.
Timmmmy!