Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

All credit to McGleenan, I've criticised him thus far but to be fair he got everything right today. Level headed, good use of substitutions, tactics spot on. The team had the right attitude and application and I don't believe they would have shown such composure and cool headedness in the closing stages if that wasn't reflected on the line.

Itchy

Fair play to mcglennan, I take it back for now. However playing guys in their best positions had a lot to do with it. Thought mcvitty, smith and of course mckiernan were massive today. It's the shot in the arm we needed, now they have to tear into Kerry. I like seeing us the no 1 article on 9 O Clock news so we need to fight like dogs to stay where we are in Div1

Westside

Completely agree about the positions point. Players played where they have been comfortable and excelled in the past and it showed. We looked solid and purposeful, something we haven't seen this in the league this year.

Madden did well winning his own ball but he needs to be contributing more on the scoreboard, he's probably the only player that's place is in danger for the next day out. Watching the highlights back, McVeety did brilliantly well for the goal and his points were excellent. Could playing him inside be McGleenan's 'find' of the league? Martin Reilly was also absolutely brilliant, in defence as well as attack.

What I would really like to see now is for Cavan to really go at Kerry. Don't do what we did against them in 2013 or what we did to Dublin in the opening game and stand off and show them lots of respect, as Itchy said, tear into them! Today's result should ensure we get a big crowd in Breffni, Kerry won't travel well. Buzzing for it now.

rodney trotter

Hopefully they can follow it up with at least a performance against Kerry. Killian Young and Crowley picked up knocks against Dublin and out of the Cavan game . They won't have JOD or the u21s, doubtful the crokes players be back either. Cavan shouldn't fear them.

Cavan need to get going from the start, started very sluggish against Mayo ..got a big lift with the goal before half time.

tierworker blue

Great to get a win under our belts...first time in a long auld time that we've scalped one of the 'top' teams.

Going down yesterday, there was plenty of chat around the fact that for the first time this year, we were all happy enough with how the team was lining out. The team selections to date just didn't sit right with anyone and were overly experimental. It was obvious that some experiments were not working and that others didn't get a proper chance at all. We lined out on a more obvious way yesterday and it worked...the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that jazz!

When Mayo went 5 up, with a strong wind, it looked ominous, but for whatever reason, from then on, they out Cavaned Cavan...endless lateral recycling, no penetration etc etc. Another team would've approached it in a very different manner and it was fairly clear to see what they needed to keep doing, but for whatever reason they didn't! Once the goal went in everyone could smell blood and it is a credit to our lads that they took the opportunity when it presented itself, because we don't always do that.

Of course there are things that could've been better and one swallow doesn't make a Summer, but we've had a lot of negatives to process over the last few weeks, so let's just soak up a wee bit of positivity for a while.

Some great performances...Big G, Rory, Killian (way more at home at 6), Martin and Dara McV all played well, and I thought that Joe D had a good cut to him when he came on. I'd like to see more of him.
That pass from Martin to Mossy was pure sexy...pity he didn't stick it in the top corner!

We've given ourselves a fighting chance of survival, so hopefully we'll go out and give Kerry their fill of it next weekend. In the meantime, have a pint or two, if you're into that kind of thing and enjoy the fact that we've just beaten last year's All Ireland finalists in their own back yard. We have more than our fair share of bad days, so it is important to enjoy the good ones when they do come along!

cavanmaniac

Amen to that, TB. Let's hope the upswing continues against Kerry. The Kingdom's league seasons generally follow a pattern every year, one or two surprising results early on, then bestir themselves against their likely championship rivals in the division, before finishing strong to either make the final or avoid relegation or whatever the need is. Point being, Kerry cherry pick and choose their moments to deliver performances and to me are always entirely at their ease and in control of their destiny in Division 1, looking to summer every time. I'd be relying or hoping more for Mayo and Ros to lose their last two games, with the second loss for Ros being to us of course, to help us stay afloat. I can't see us getting a win against Kerry but as long as we are cohesive and solid and come out of it with pride and confidence intact, it won't be so bad. And who knows, maybe they'll have a stinker of an off day and we'll top the Mayo display and win. Even a draw would be a massive point.

Itchy

There is still plenty of room for improvement. Don't let the fantastic result cloud the fact that we were very poor in the first 25mins, lacking confidence and countering very slowly. The goal before half time gave us great confidence and everything was different thereafter. A bit like against Meath last year, could that be a turning point in the player mentality? Also McGlennan put players where they should be playing and stopped messing around so much which I think the players responded to.

For me its the same formula next Sunday. Frustrate Kerry, break at speed and tear into them. I have a feeling we will need to get something out of this game as Mayo will probably win one of their last two. No point holding anything back, they have to go for it. If we could stay up it would be a tremendous achievement.

Westside

Our discipline in the tackle was also fantastic last week I thought. I think Kerry will set up to mirror our style of play and they'll be confident they have the better forwards when it comes down to it. We would need a monster effort to get a result. Anyone know if this game will be on TV? Not sure if I'll make it down to Breffni.

Itchy

Maurice deegan is the referee. I predict 100 frees, cynical fouls unpunished and no cards

rodney trotter

Donegal will be a tough test for the U21s. They made the Minor All Ireland final in 2014, 4 or 5 of them making a big impact on the Senior team along with a few others. Cavan have the bit of advantage of having played there in Brewster Park in the previous round.

Bonner speaking after the game.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjunqHYlu3SAhXlJMAKHQ9qDdwQqUMINDAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highlandradio.com%2F2017%2F03%2F22%2Fdeclan-bonner-proud-of-donegals-second-half-performance-in-ulster-win-over-tyrone%2F&usg=AFQjCNG7maDKfYLKYqDGgTpbDkELFkVHjQ

mrdeeds

Our seniors made hard work of them never mind our u21s.

Westside

In the Ulster U21 in 2011 Tyrone went to a replay with Down to get into the final, they looked like a seriously formidable side, All Ireland winners at Minor level, battle hardened from the replay etc. We still beat them in the final, so we shouldn't buy into the hype too much.

That said, we're coming in off the back of cakewalk against Fermanagh and a lot of these lads have been playing Senior Intercounty Football this year. These Cavan players individually look very talented but have failed to perform at Minor and U21 level so far. So it's a big test of them and Niall Lynch and his management team. An Ulster Final would be a huge shot in the arm and might uncover a couple of players for the Senior Squad for the summer. Really interested to see how Caoimhin Reilly, Thomas Galligan and Conor Bradley (presuming he will play some part at least) get on, three bright prospects and this sort of game will probably be the toughest environment we'll have seen them in at county level.

Westside

I was very critical of McGleenan but to be fair, he's got his shit together. I know it's not sensible to be 'celebrating' a draw against Kerry and our ambitions should be higher but when Sheehan got his last score you'd have taken the hand off someone if they offered you the draw. I think it was a point gained. Our shooting and shot selection is still not really good enough for this level.

Staying up will need the stars to align in our favour. Whether we deserve to stay up even if we beat Roscommon is questionable but we certainly don't belong in Division 1 if we can't beat this Roscommon team at the moment. Beat them and if the other results somehow happen to go in our favour, fantastic. If we beat them and still go down, it will be a tough pill but the general feeling will still be good. If the ultimate anti-climax happens and we lose... The shine is taken off our battling end to the league in a big way.

rodney trotter

The defence was very good today like the Mayo game.Moran was on top around the middle for most of the game. Gearoid  Mckiernan didn't have as big an influence today. Mackey very good when introduced,  class ball for mcveetys goal. He has good composure. McDermott kicked 2 good frees and made a great catch for the last score . All the subs made an impact.

Roscommon might have lost all 6 games so far, but they played well in their homes ganes, lost to donegal by 1pt, and kerry only pulled away in the end. Their defence is useless but they have better forwards then Cavan. Mayo likely to get a lift from the win today and get something from the donegal game.

Itchy

Don't think Donegal will be too bothered about beating Mayo unfortunately. What we learned today..,

- we are very solid defensively when we play players in correct positions
- McKiernan is good but was destroyed by Moran today. He needed help, Corr wasn't able to give anything.
- mcvitty in ff line is lethal
- mcvitty also needed out the field, we need to clone mcvitty
- team do not look fit to me
- great fight and heart shown today, can't train that
- Mackey is needed back fully fit, made a huge impact coming on