Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on October 22, 2011, 02:52:48 PM
I wouldn't be at all bothered about Lyng not being called in. He's walked out too many times for anyone to think that he really cares about the County, he was dire in the Championship last year and seems to be still living off his youthful potential.

Johnston is a different matter. A lot of people have claimed that he is a bad influence on the team because there will be a "just give it to Seanie" mentality. He's certainly no captain and his petulance on the field is frustrating.
But in fairness to him he has delivered for Cavan like no other player of his generation has. Apart from the America thing he has always been willing to play for Cavan when fit. There's no questioning that he is a terrific corner forward when on form.
If what BigMac says is true and Val wants to give youth a chance you'd have to assume he means the likes of McClarey, Declan McKiernan, Bud Fitz, Niall McDermott, Jack Brady. Do any of these lads have the potential to be as good as we know Johnston can be? I don't think so. I'd have him there and not play him because he was class in 2008, play him if he's one of the best 3 corner forwards at training.

Does anyone know people involved that could give an idea of the 20 odd players involved at this stage?

Whens the last championship game Johnston played well in, apart from his super sub appearance against Wicklow? Lyng may be living on a reputation but I think to a lesser degree Johnston is too. He has been to easily snuffed out by opposition defences and when that happens he just throws in the towel. Like I said before, for me its a head problem and a spell away from the team may do him the world of good. Who is to say if those guys you mention will be as good as him, maybe they will be more effective than him. Eugene Keating and Niall McDermot were more effective in the last 2 championship games we played.

Westside

I suppose his last good game before the Wicklow game was the Fermanagh game in 2009. Antrim concentrated on snuffing him out in the Ulster Semi that year and Hyland for Wickow did the same in the qualifiers. Johnston did the elbow in 2010 and was obviously affected by it. He scored 2 fantastic points from play against Fermanagh that year and while he didn't play to his best he was still a huge threat despite being out for the whole League, he won us the Wicklow game. The Cork game barely deserves a mention, nobody should be judged on that game. And in 2011 he was was terrible. Didn't get a kick against Donegal and was poor against Longford.
I would think it slightly harsh to say he's living off a reputation.. No other Cavan forward has given as much since Jayo and Larry went off the scene. I was the one who initially said I hope he'd be dropped if he didn't sort out his form but I think to not have him in there, from a purely footballing ability point of view, is a mistake. If some of those lads prove themselves more worthy of a starting place over the League and training so be it but making that call in October seems strange.

Breffni_Yank

From the sounds of these things it looks like we are only going to get worse. Any going that game today that could post a team?

tommysmith

From some posters on Hoganstand, i know a lot of crap is said there but i believe these.

QuoteI was talking to an ex cavan player this morning.I asked him was his lad going to tog out with the Seniors this year.The answer i got was Val doesnt want him. I asked why .. and he said" hes committed but a bit gobby always asking questions.Val doesnt like that."
I asked were the players behind Val? Answer i got was no. the experienced players wont play for him so he has dropped them to make it look better, otherwise he would have a revolt on his hands. he cant afford that. he looking longterm here".
So there you go lads.

Same thing happened in Louth and he left them in a far worse state than he found them. Took them several years to get over the Val factor. I know many of the players of Val's era in Louth !!
Cavan going nowhere with this man !!

From a Louth poster.
QuoteVal Andrws did not help louth football, a lot of the seasoned players all ended up refusing to play for the man. Any player who questioned him was dropped.

I am glad that another county is suffering what we suffered, for he laid the blame in Louth about player not being committed, and not strong enough...it sound like he is doing the same with your seniors.

When he was appointed there were some Louth posters saying that he was a clown and didnt have a clue and i can see where they are coming from now. 

rodney trotter

The County board should have went for Pete McGrath when they had the chance after Carr went.. Taking back Andrews was never going to work when it was the clubs that were opposed to him staying another year when he was manager in his first spell .

The county board made a stupid mistake with the sports agency getting Carr in as manager so decided they could rectify it by getting Andrews back- stupid mistake.. i honestly can't see Johnston playing for Cavan again once Andrews is still manager as Johnston doesn't seem the type waiting to be called back in..

Celt_Man

Any word on any other results in Division 2? Denn gave Drumgoon a walkover and C'lough beat Drung, we beat Killinkere.  Any word on Drumalee and Swad?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

http://hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156894

Fitzsimons Cup: Armagh overcome Cavan
23 October 2011

Armagh 3-11
Cavan 1-16

Armagh overcame the challenge of Cavan in the Fitszimons Cup, a senior intercounty football competition organised by the Gaeil Colmcille club, at a wet Pairc Tailteann.

Mickey Brennan put Cavan on the scoreboard first and after ten minutes the Breffni men led 0-4 to 0-0. Armagh's opening score was a well taken goal from half foward Sean Moore. The accurate free taking of Cavan full foward Ray Galligan and some fine scores from Brennan and Niall McDermott insured that the led at the break 0-9 to 1-4.

Galligan put more daylight between the sides when he flicked a Dane O'Dowd pass to the Armagh net to leave the score 1-9 to 1-4. But Armagh battled hard to get back into the game and a goal from Eugene McVerry left the minimum between the sides.Points from half backs Mark Shields, Aidan Forker and Michael Stevenson brought Armagh to within a point again 2-8 to 1-12. A second goal from McVerry had Paddy O'Rourke's men ahead 3-8 to 1-13 with ten minutes left. A Galligan free levelled the match 1-14 to 3-8. But Armagh finished the stronger and points from Brian Mallon and substitutes Paul Carville and Conor White put the Orchard County men into the final where they will met Meath.

Armagh: Ryan Magennis, David Lavery, Declan McKenna, Adrian Conlon, Mark Shields (0-1), Aidan Forker (0-1), Michael Stevenson (0-1), James Donnelly, James Lavery, Pauric Gribben, Brian Mallon (0-1), Sean Moore (1-1), Eugene McVerry (2-0), Stefan Forker(0-3), Stefan Campbell.
Subs: Sean Hughes, Ryan Rafferty, Paul Carvill (0-2), Conor White (0-1)

Cavan: Fintan Reilly, Oisin Minagh, Sean McCormack, Daragh Tighe, Barry Watters, Joey Jordan, Dane O'Dowd, Ray Cullivan, Declan McKiernan, Stephen Jordan, Declan Meehan, Michael Brennan (0-3), Niall McDermott (0-2), Ray Galligan (1-10), Conor McClarry (0-1).
Subs: Barry Tully and Kieran Galligan

Referee Joey Curley Meath

mylestheslasher

1-10 for galligan is some score. I seem to remember him doing well pre season a couple of years ago but fell away come the business end of the season

PhilsJemmysField

Div 2

Apparently Swad gave Drumalee the points, the gaels and knocks spent the day together in Canningstown building up inter club relations because knocks pitch was not playable. Apparently county board was trying t make them go t 3G pitch. BBoro beat shercock who barely put a team out. The last round basically made a mockery of the league but there you go. At least us lads up in kkere put a team out for you Cootehill lads t run round.

rodney trotter

How come the div2 league isn't finished at this stage,. still to play semis and final, div3 is the same too.. Were Drumalee and Drumgoon the two teams promoted?

Celt_Man

Drumalee and Drumgoon were promoted - Both actually secured their promotion with walk overs  :-\  Not their fault I know but...

Think that leaves ourselves v Drumalee and Goonies v Crosserlough in semi-finals

Westside

I see from Twitter that Val has it out at "faceless critics" Anyone able to give a run down on what he says? I wont get to see the Celt this week. Hardly in connection to the Hoganstand lads campaign against him?

Dougal

basically said HS should be shut down (cant disagree with him there,although for different reasons).he said he thinks alot of the stuff is coming from within the panel or from people close to the panel,stuff like seanie being a primadonna and disagreements between players and management.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

If it were shut down they would all end up here. Keep it open I say.

Westside

It's a disgrace of a website. I have posted several times, fairly logical balanced posts usually in defence of Andrews and the County boards, and they don't get published. Yet somehow the insanely biased stuff posted by sheva7 and richiej gets through. You'd nearly think the mods had something against Val.

Also calling for it to be shut down is strange. Sort out the happiness within the panel and there won't be an issue with inside info being published.