Brennan: GAA will fund new stadium

Started by pedro, October 25, 2007, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

From Hoganstand.com

Nickey Brennan has revealed that the GAA is prepared to help fund the construction of a new multi-purpose stadium in Abbotstown.

The west Dublin location was originally the proposed site of the ill-fated 'Bertie Bowl', but Brennan remains hopeful that a 25,000 capacity stadium will still be built on the site, and envisages moving Dublin's National League games there from Parnell Park.

"I always held the view that Dublin is not served properly by facilities at Parnell Park and that's not a criticism of Parnell Park," he said.

"I believe there is a case for another stadium, it makes sense to go for an all-seater, floodlit venue with a field that can be used year-round.

"I would even suggest going the whole hog and putting a roof on it - it should at least be considered, though I don't know how practical it would be.

"The Dublin public deserves a bigger stadium and I believe there is an onus on the GAA at large to help get that delivered. I would be willing to commit GAA funds on this, but this isn't something that can be done in isolation by Dublin, the Government or the GAA.

"It would be a tripartite arrangement and maybe even more."

The GAA president added: "Something in the region of 20-to-25,000 is worth considering because there are many other events that could be held there. From a commercial point of view, there would have to be."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do yous think of this??

Personally i think it makes a damn sight more sense than the proposal by the Cork/Munster board to develop Pairc Ui Caoimh.
There probably is a need for a bigger stadium than Parnell Park in Dublin but I would prefer to see the GAA properly developing the current stadia in Ireland up to, say, standards of teh likes of Wigan's JJB stadium or the likes. While we have stadiums with large capacities (Navan, Breffni, Castlebar etc.) the standards in these places are fairly poor. I mean, uncovered stands, grass banks instead of terracing. I believe this should be top of the agenda for the GAA rather than building new stadiums (and of course sorting out the Louthcounty ground debacle!!)

Any views?
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

rrhf

Do the announcements by Cork County Board, Brennan and the maze proposal represent the beginning of the end of the exposed concrete terraced, architectually bereft, oversized and uncomfortable county grounds which people mistakenly call stadia?

rrhf

No Im against it unless they chop the Dubs into 2 teams.  What about this revolutionary idea.  let the Dubs use Croke Park as their home stadium? 

mannix

Is this supposed to be the national stadium?
Ireland has the population of a decent sized city, why all the stadiums?

Gnevin

On the wrong side of the city . Needs to be on the southside  and properly on the south side not just on the edge
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Doire abú

Would be better spent upgrading Clones or Casement into 21st centruy stadiums first.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on October 25, 2007, 03:43:12 PM
On the wrong side of the city . Needs to be on the southside  and properly on the south side not just on the edge

would agree that any new stadium in Dublin needs to be on the south side
however, I'd try to get it somewhere in or around Tallaght.

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 25, 2007, 04:01:07 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 25, 2007, 03:43:12 PM

would agree that any new stadium in Dublin needs to be on the south side
however, I'd try to get it somewhere in or around Tallaght.
That where i was thinking
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

this stadium was shelved 10 years ago.

The FAI/IRFU have the 25,000 seater RDS, and Donnybrook, Tolka Park and Dalymount all seat in the teens of thousands. They dont need a venue of this size, so who is the 'tripartate' arrangement going to be with?

If Dublin needs a mid sized GAA venue, which it probably does, could the DCB get off there arses and build it on the land they got on the cheap from the council for that purpose in Rathcoole?

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on October 25, 2007, 04:43:06 PM
this stadium was shelved 10 years ago.

The FAI/IRFU have the 25,000 seater RDS, and Donnybrook, Tolka Park and Dalymount all seat in the teens of thousands. They dont need a venue of this size, so who is the 'tripartate' arrangement going to be with?

If Dublin needs a mid sized GAA venue, which it probably does, could the DCB get off there arses and build it on the land they got on the cheap from the council for that purpose in Rathcoole?
The IRFU has  nothing to do with the FAI in RDS /Donnyvbrook
And too use a great Dublin expression all does soccer statidums are total f**king kips
Roversfella stop lying , The land in rathcoole was never intended to be a used for a stadium a fact which has been brought to you attention several times on this board , maybe if you weren't to busy with your scum bag rovers mates you'd know a thing or two about Dublin GAA.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: pedro on October 25, 2007, 03:06:04 PM

"I believe there is a case for another stadium, it makes sense to go for an all-seater, floodlit venue with a field that can be used year-round.
I don't see why people are talking about all seater GAA stadiums these days?
I believe it has has been mentioned in relation to Kildare, Cork, Wastemeath and Clare's grand stadium plans.
Terracing should be in GAA grounds because:

1. There is no history of organised hooliganism violence at GAA matches. So safety/security isn't a problem as it is in soccer.
2. There should be lower price accomodation available for students and young people.
3. Freedom of movement. If you have a group of friends going to a game, terracing allows you to congregate, move/jump around, mingle, have picnics. In seats you are confined. scattered and constrained.
4. Cost. Seating is far more expensive to install. By right they need a roof over them or they get weather beaten and fans get very wet.
5. Usage. Most GAA grounds are rarely filled to capacity. Putting seats at all 4 sides means that you are condemning a few thousands seats to only be used once or twice a year.

"All seater" smacks of more GAA vanity when it comes to grounds.

Gnevin

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 25, 2007, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: pedro on October 25, 2007, 03:06:04 PM

I don't see why people are talking about all seater GAA stadiums these days?
I believe it has has been mentioned in relation to Kildare, Cork, Wastemeath and Clare's grand stadium plans.
Terracing should be in GAA grounds because:

1. There is no history of organised hooliganism violence at GAA matches. So safety/security isn't a problem as it is in soccer.
2. There should be lower price accomodation available for students and young people.
3. Freedom of movement. If you have a group of friends going to a game, terracing allows you to congregate, move/jump around, mingle, have picnics. In seats you are confined. scattered and constrained.
4. Cost. Seating is far more expensive to install. By right they need a roof over them or they get weather beaten and fans get very wet.
5. Usage. Most GAA grounds are rarely filled to capacity. Putting seats at all 4 sides means that you are condemning a few thousands seats to only be used once or twice a year.

"All seater" smacks of more GAA vanity when it comes to grounds.

1000% agree i cant understand it , Covered terrance fine but i for one enjoy standing

orangeman

This appears to be a political move on the part of Brennan - there must be something more to this !

magickingdom

great idea, so long as they put a roof on it. this country needs a winter stadium..

Rossfan

Quote from: dublinfella on October 25, 2007, 08:44:16 PM

Agreed. So let them get off their holes and build one..

Like Shamrock Rovers  :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM