Joyce Country Ceili Band - A Culchie Classic

Started by Feckitt, October 25, 2007, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Heard the bould Sawdoctors on 2fm last night and it got me thinking about a Top Ten of Culchie Classics. 
I'm talking about songs like,

The Rare Ould Mountan Dew
Hills of Donegal
N17
Galway Girl
I Useta Love Her

What are your top Culchie Classic songs?

mannix

"Take me home to Falujah"       by The Blackwater Band         a real classic

Great Leap Forward

The Streets of New York
Friends in low places
Forever in blue jeans
The Gambler

The Subbie

The blanket on the ground by  Pomeroys finest female singer , Philomena!!

AZOffaly

The Sawdoctors are class. I remember being packed into the Dubliner Pub in Phoenix AZ, swinging out of the rafters as they played there back in 1999 or so. Stayed on afterwards into the small hours drinking pints and chatting to the lads. Sound fellas.

To Win Just Once
The Green and Red Of Mayo
Will you meet me on Clare Island?
It Won't be tonight

all culchie classics :)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2007, 02:17:29 PM
The Sawdoctors are class. I remember being packed into the Dubliner Pub in Phoenix AZ, swinging out of the rafters as they played there back in 1999 or so. Stayed on afterwards into the small hours drinking pints and chatting to the lads. Sound fellas.

To Win Just Once
The Green and Red Of Mayo
Will you meet me on Clare Island?
It Won't be tonight

all culchie classics :)

Ye they put on a great show Az, seen them play a gig in chicago in 1998 the place was hopping mostly Irish Americans. They play in castlebar quite a lot must go and see them soon
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

True they're a great oul culchie band alright. My type if ya know what I mean :D, they have played in Castlebar every July and I think they play there at Christmas as well Deel Rover. Keep an eye out for the advertisements on the Western.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Puckoon

The ultimate culchie classic;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRtG-D2DCwE

The ballad of Jed Clampitt.

From workin the bars at home Id say alot of us go mad to the following also:

Sweet home alabama (fierce bit of air banjo playin goes on)
Country roads

Cant believe forever in blue jeans is in there! I must be the biggest culchie ever. :-\ Ah well, at least Im not a dub.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 25, 2007, 02:23:34 PM
True they're a great oul culchie band alright. My type if ya know what I mean :D, they have played in Castlebar every July and I think they play there at Christmas as well Deel Rover. Keep an eye out for the advertisements on the Western.
First time I ever seen them live was across the border  :P in the TF Royal circa 1991.  Brilliant gig. 
Shaggin minibus broke down on the way home and no one gave a fcuk!

Great Leap Forward

The Docs are the ultimate Culchie band. Unfortunately they suffer a powerful backlash from musical snobs and don't get the credit they deserve. They might not be the most innovative band about but they do paint a good picture of life in rural Ireland.

The good thing about Culchie music is that it most of the songs you wouldn't listen to on your own but if you are at a wedding or a birthday party you go clean mad when they come on.

I have to admit though I hate that 'Horse it into ye Cynthia' song. It is a cancer.

AZOffaly

I always think the Sawdoctors songs could be about any small town in Ireland. It resonates. Everyone knows a Tommy K the DJ, or watching young ones at mass, or the metaphor about 'Playing against a gale force wind, and it changes at half time'

They are not Mozart, or innovators as you say, but I think they are good craic, and the epitome of culchie :D

Main Street

The Saw Doctors a good band but pure culchie is another class altogether

Big Tom and the Mainliners
"Gentle Mother"
http://www.toptenreviews.com/scripts/eframe/url.htm?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fmusic%2Fwma-pop-up%2FB000009CDI001002%2Fref%3Dmu_sam_wma_001_002%2F002-4646433-0584853

Or,  Fxck off "Back to Casleblaney"

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2007, 02:47:10 PM
I always think the Sawdoctors songs could be about any small town in Ireland. It resonates. Everyone knows a Tommy K the DJ, or watching young ones at mass, or the metaphor about 'Playing against a gale force wind, and it changes at half time'

They are not Mozart, or innovators as you say, but I think they are good craic, and the epitome of culchie :D

Aye, and sure who hasn't experienced a less than fruitful night on the pull and went home with nothing more than a bag of chips for company or some hoor not passing you the ball when you have an open goal.

the Deel Rover

as you said az people can just relate to their songs like for e.g the N17 everyone in the west knows that turn in claregalway when you headed to shannon thankfully those days have changed and people are leaving Ireland by choice now not because there is nothing to stay for. Theres not many other bands out there that write songs about a ford cortina :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rav67

Absolutely love the Saw Doctors seen them twice in Belfast it's amazing the age range you get at their gigs, was chatting to Leo Moran after as well and he's a real sound fella