when talent isnt enough

Started by heganboy, October 25, 2007, 03:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

The band in croker thread got me thinking, I was home for a week there and managed to get to see the 4 of us play in the black box theatre in belfast. I'd have to say it was the best concert I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot...
1989 saw the 4 of us explode with songs for the tempted and 2 years later man alive kept them right up there, but only in Ireland. They never made it in the UK and despite some strong college radio play never took off in the states. Their last 3 albums have been critically acclaimed, they were voted recently one of the best 5 Irish singles of all time, and yet I was able to get a fifteen quid ticket to a 200 seat venue to see them play on a friday night.

Now I know there were some management issues and record company nonsense, but how is it that these guys have managed to fly under the radar of all but a handful of people. Just recently at the al gore earth day concert the djs played U2 REM the stones and... You've guessed it, the 4 of us.
What is it they missed? I just don't get it? Why was talent not enough?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

downredblack

Sometimes it just doesn't happen for some artists , My example would be David Kitt , IMHO a genius but for some reason not everyone's cup of tea . Heard he has recently lost his record deal .

mannix

Its more to do with good marketing than raw talent.Britney,beyonce and co are fairly tame at the ould singing but the marketing machines put them up there.Plenty of nice favours from the girls i am sure to keep the managers sweet. ;)

heganboy

I do believe the marketing was an issue, but I do think there was an element of too much too young. Obviously when you are 21 you know everything and they exploded on their first album. Its almost a pity they didnt have a few years grinding it out before they made it big.
And to 5times point, their new stuff is IMHO better than a lot of the old stuff. Blue for example is one of the best songs I've heard in years

Puckoon

Need you look any further than horslips? Undoubtedly the most talented band to come out of Ireland. Trouble is, they never got out of Ireland to any successful degree.

gaagaa

wot about tabby - an absolute legend in his own mind ;D

inisceithleann

What about Declan O'Rourke. A class act, but yet no-one here in Britain aparts from ones like myself have heard of him. Is there no effort made at all to try and crack the UK?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

heganboy

Do you think it has anything to do with Irish management not knowing how to crack the US market, and trying it arseways?

Who has done it successfully other than U2?