When did you first join gaaboard.com?

Started by Farrandeelin, October 24, 2007, 05:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: mannix on October 25, 2007, 02:12:17 PM
I joined in september 1951,just after Mayo won their latest title.How time has flown by and things have changed.They even have gaaboard.com on computer now.

bullshit wasnt it just GAA.ie
I was around under my own name in 1997. went on a long hiatus due to a chane of employment its a bitch to get a good connection in the 'Joy
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

heganboy

discussions like this make me feel old.
been on since a couple of years before the GAA was founded in Sept 2002...
goldenyears is responsible for me wasting hours and hours every day.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Orior

Quote from: heganboy on October 25, 2007, 04:35:19 PM
discussions like this make me feel old.
been on since a couple of years before the GAA was founded in Sept 2002...
goldenyears is responsible for me wasting hours and hours every day.

Do you know Harold Disgracy?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owenmoresider

November 2002 for me. Can't recall how I came to view the site, but it might have been a link from AFR (I posted there previously under a diff name, and returned there since). Always been OMS in that time. Then there were three Sligo posters, but SM2 seems to have flew the nest recently, while we've picked up a few along the way. Actually met one (MS) when marking him during a club game!

inisceithleann

Am I right in thinking a lot of posters were friends before they came on this board. I met up with a fella in England last year and we realised we'd be chatting each other through various threads on this thing for ages without even realising it. I've a fair idea who a lot of the Fermanagh posters are through the things they say. I suppose this is the same for a lot of members.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

saffron sam2

About November 2001, found out about the site from a work colleague during a night's vigilante-esque work. I think he posts here too, certainly used to, but he has moved on to bigger and better things.

2001 was a much simpler time, when Antrim sat above both Tyrone and Armagh in Ulster title victories and neither of those two had won the All-Ireland. No-one here had heard of ourweecountry either which was good.

Have worked out and / or met several posters on the board, surprisingly none of them are Antrim posters.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

passedit

passedit
Total Posts :: 1702
Buy Me ezSupporter Icon

Found the site from a link from slugger o toole, a site i'd found from a link on the bbc website. First thread i read was about Oisin Mc Conville headbutting some lad in a club championship match, was a fairly prolific poster on the old board but pressure of work and a certain amount of boredom with the circular arguments has seen my post count drop like a stone.

Have had the dubious pleasure of fielding the kickouts of stpauls and Bigkickout/irunthev, played agin the anagram that is dean nullec, Boots' bro and Behind the Wire's oul fella. Met Lecale (thanks again for the leg up with the hurlin) cribbed a fair bit with uselessfootballer and spoken to Shamrock Shore on the phone.

Oh sorry nearly forgot, played a season of sacar many moons ago on the the same team as the mighty Antoine Fearon who actually wasnt too bad in a pseudo Tony Galvin straight line running type of way. (i'd say i'm one of the few people on the planet told to quit slabberin by the great mouth himself  :o
Don't Panic

Shamrock Shore

Been here from day1 in abouts 1996 or so with the old Jim Gallagher DCU board.

Where is luscious Lynn Brennan now?

Rufus T Firefly

August 16th 2002 pour moi! Between the Sligo games back then. Was posting on Orchard County at the time, and someone came on advising the Armagh contingent to get over to GAABoard where there was an Armagh man on his own against the rest of the world!  The bould Tone!!   :D

Anyway - with some nervousness, typed up my first post (a reference to Dublin's support at the Kerry replay in Thurles in 2001), held the cursor over the 'post' button with a nervousness befitting someone about to step forward onto a road that looks clear of traffic. Pressed 'post, stepped forward in the road, and was immediately mown down by a juggernaut driven by easytiger, coming to defend the reputation of the Dubs' support!!  ;D

There were a few Armagh ones about then, with two Harps lads already there, Maddog and Puskas.

Have to say for the first few years this Board was like a drug, that I needed on a regular basis. However, since the change over I have been unable to access the Board at work, and I can make no bigger criticism of the Board than to say I don't miss it at all during the day. I could not have said this of the Board over the 2002-2006 era.

Judging by the lack of posts from some of the old heads, and Seanie's thread about the Board, there is obvioulsy a general malaise, but I'm at a loss to explain how to resolve it!! Still, I'd hate to see the Board go.

I know all the Harps' contingent of course, and a few of the Ogs heads and I have met Lord Fearon, amallon, wobbler, 5 Sams, Smokin Joe, MacEoghan and like to keep in contact with young Billy Boots - top men one and all!!   8)

Donagh

Was lurking on the old board while working overseas in 1998 and made first posts under various names in the summer of 1999 – things were much simpler then without all this registering and logging in craic. Think Donagh made his first appearance sometime in 2000.

muppet

QuoteTwo degrees of separation between the three of us.

And 4 brain cells.

...only joking... ;D
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Francis from Tyrone was a favourite. A right Christian.

Who was the foul-mouthed Meathman who threatened to plaster the county with landmines if a certain neighbouring county were visiting during an NFL game?

And finally, where can I get the archives of that board (it just had the thread starters and headline replies)? Someone posted the link up not too long ago. Circa 2001/2
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2007, 12:01:25 AM
And finally, where can I get the archives of that board (it just had the thread starters and headline replies)? Someone posted the link up not too long ago. Circa 2001/2

You can try here ONeill

http://web.archive.org/web/20011004010645/www.gaaboard.com/board/index.html
Testing Accessibility

Louth Exile

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 25, 2007, 11:11:49 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on October 25, 2007, 11:06:13 PM
I'd imagine 5ive times doesn't live too far away from my home place

I am in Dromiskin almost every day, even drank with a few of your buddies on All Ireland final day in the Hill 16 bar, some of them were more interested in a couple of Cork women than they were in the football, in fact I think Cork scored more in that bar than they did in Croker  ;)

I was there myself for the minor game with the lads before I headed for the game!!! This is getting to be a very small world
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

stephenite

Quote from: muppet on October 25, 2007, 01:42:47 PM
A load of the Mayo posters here met up a couple of years ago. Flying Doctor, Stephenite, Towinjustonce, DustinforTaoiseach etc and despite not knowing each other and having had the odd flaming session it was great craic. We should do it again.

Barney didn't show though, even though it was his idea.

'Twas good craic indeed - great idea to do it again. I'll meet ye in The Welcome Hotel in Rozelle, Sydney tomorrow night ;)