NI drink drive limit 'may be cut'

Started by ziggysego, October 22, 2007, 04:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

QuoteNorthern Ireland's drink-drive limit could be set at a lower level than the rest of the UK, Environment Minister Arlene Foster has said.

Ms Foster told the assembly her department was "actively" looking into reducing the legal limit.

"I, personally, am in favour of lowering the limit," she said.

Last year almost 1,500 motorists were caught drink-driving on Northern Ireland's roads. Almost 1,000 people have been apprehended so far this year.

The current legal limit in the UK is set at 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood.

Exceeding the limit is punishable by a mandatory minimum one year driving disqualification, plus a fine of up to £5,000.

It also carries a possible maximum prison sentence of six months.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7056823.stm

Great news, I'd be in favour of that.
Testing Accessibility

Gabriel_Hurl

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2007, 04:54:43 PM
It should be 0mg of alcohol per 100ml
Isn't their problems with that? Brandy ice creams and stuff with low alcohol level can give errors?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Orior

Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2007, 04:56:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 22, 2007, 04:54:43 PM
It should be 0mg of alcohol per 100ml
Isn't their problems with that? Brandy ice creams and stuff with low alcohol level can give errors?

Maybe, but I'd still second that proposal. However the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

QuoteMaybe, but I'd still second that proposal. However the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.

Sure while we're at it, why don't we ban motorised vehicles and make everyone ride horses instead. There would be no car accidents then.

Orior

Quote from: thewobbler on October 22, 2007, 05:54:35 PM
QuoteMaybe, but I'd still second that proposal. However the biggest single thing that would reduce road deaths is to make the maximum speed limit 55mph on all minor roads, main roads, dual carriageways and motorways.

Sure while we're at it, why don't we ban motorised vehicles and make everyone ride horses instead. There would be no car accidents then.

Typical Newry man. Never sees the Point which is only a few mile down the road. People would still fall off horses.

Why do you need speed? How does getting home 10 minutes earlier compare to not getting home at all?

marty88

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2007, 06:52:12 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 22, 2007, 05:54:35 PM

Typical Newry man. Never sees the Point which is only a few mile down the road. People would still fall off horses.

Why do you need speed? How does getting home 10 minutes earlier compare to not getting home at all?

how come speed doesn't kill so many people in Europe or in the states?

The level shouldn't be cut any more. Ive love to know how many of the deaths are caused by people having less that 80 mg per 100 in their system.

"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Orior

And while we're at how many deaths had the driver saying:

If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that motorbike pull out and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that idiot earlier and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that dog earlier and not swerved and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that child run out earlier and been able to stop

You (like me) may be the best driver in the world, but when you meet the stupid person on the road its metal that will be crunching.

marty88

Quote from: Orior on October 22, 2007, 09:16:42 PM
And while we're at how many deaths had the driver saying:

If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that motorbike pull out and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that idiot earlier and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that dog earlier and not swerved and been able to stop
If only I'd been driving a bit slower I would have seen that child run out earlier and been able to stop

You (like me) may be the best driver in the world, but when you meet the stupid person on the road its metal that will be crunching.

then its education that people need, not less speed.

And while were on the subject of drink driving, 4 out of 10 of all accidents on Irish roads have been cause by people under the influence.
That means 6 out of 10 were caused by sober people, sort these scumbags out first! ;)
"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

Gnevin

Can we keep this thread to drink, their is already a 10 page one on Speed
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5065.0
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2007, 09:40:29 PM
Can we keep this thread to drink, their is already a 10 page one on Speed
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5065.0

I looked for it, but couldn't find it. I assumed that the mod deleted it, as things got a little personal in there.

Mod, if you want to merge them, please do.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

SouthArmaghBandit

A lad I know had a stupid woman run into the back of him on the road into Belfast. The cops came and breathalysed them both. It was like 8.30am in the Tuesday morning. He failed the preliminary test and was hauled off to the barracks. He had the second test and passed easy. The Sargent asked him if he had used mouth wash earlier and it turned out that that was the cause of the positive reading.

ONeill

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on October 22, 2007, 10:14:26 PM
A lad I know had a stupid woman run into the back of him on the road into Belfast. The cops came and breathalysed them both. It was like 8.30am in the Tuesday morning. He failed the preliminary test and was hauled off to the barracks. He had the second test and passed easy. The Sargent asked him if he had used mouth wash earlier and it turned out that that was the cause of the positive reading.

Moral of the story: Stupid women and mouthwash are not compatible.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Over the Bar

QuoteA lad I know had a stupid woman run into the back of him on the road into Belfast. The cops came and breathalysed them both. It was like 8.30am in the Tuesday morning. He failed the preliminary test and was hauled off to the barracks. He had the second test and passed easy. The Sargent asked him if he had used mouth wash earlier and it turned out that that was the cause of the positive reading.

Moral of the story is, don't use mouthwash if you've had a skinful the night before!  :o