Dubs get 4!

Started by Buckass, October 19, 2007, 09:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onlooker

I don't think this is a wind-up.  If it was he wouls surely have included Jayo or Vaughan.

Bogball XV

We had this confirmed on the derry thread by a usually reliable source.
6 Kerry,
4 Dubs
2 Derry
1 Cork
1 Monaghan
1 Cork

I don't think Cork can have too many arguments, although Canty's award was probably like Muldoon's for Derry 3 years ago - a long consistent service award.  That aside, there should be plenty of complaints from elsewhere - especially Conor Gormley.

Declan

QuoteI'd question Canty & Whelan while Cluxton and Cahill simply do not deserve to be there.

Think the original message is a windup alright but can't agree with the above.

Valid arguments for all of them to be included as outlined by His holiness earlier on.  As he said there is no way Alan Brogan should get one but in my mind Cahill was Dublin's best player this year

Stagmeister

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2007, 11:47:15 AM
I'd question Canty & Whelan while Cluxton and Cahill simply do not deserve to be there. This scheme has become a complete joke.

Barry Cahill definitely deserves to be there, he had an excellent season from start to finish, I'd be very surprised if thats the actual 15 but I'd also be very surprised if Cahill doesnt get one tonight.

Regarding Cork, they only deserve to get 1...

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Ulster Champs get none, and two teams who were beaten twice and progressed no further than Tyrone in the Championship get 3...   not without precedent where All-Stars are concerned so such fcuked up awards may indeed be accurate  :(
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

magpie seanie

Firstly I'm pretty confident that that is the actual team.

On Cahill - he was Dublin's best back granted (other 5 weren't that great were they?). That's not enough to get an allstar though. The likes of Killian Young, Damian Freeman and Conor Gormley had better years and that's just off the top of my head.

Cluxton had a solid but unspectacular year until his monumental clusterfuck against Kerry. That mistake alone should have ruled him out of the equation. A travesty for the Meath goalie.

blanketattack

Killian Young was consistently Kerry's best half-back all year long. Definitely deserved one. I know he'll still get young player of the year, but an All-Star and YPOTY aren't mutually exclusive are they?

saffron sam2

I'd question Canty & Whelan while Cluxton and Cahill simply do not deserve to be there. This scheme has become a complete joke.

Any semblance of respect that these awards once had totally evaporated years ago when Peter Canavan was given an award at chf instead of Brain McGuigan.

For what it's worth, IMNSHO, full back and full forward lines were always three from four and Gormley is extremely unlucky to miss out.
Half back line was predictable as was D O'Se. Any of Cavanagh, Murphy & Doherty has justifiable claims ahead of Whelan.

O'Sullivan was a shoe-in, but Moyles should have been ahead of Bray and A Brogan's is a weak one.

Any of the three keepers would have been an acceptable choice.

The All-Stars are no longer a worthwhile scheme in rewarding footballers, they are simply an exercise in horse trading.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bogball XV

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2007, 12:15:29 PM
Firstly I'm pretty confident that that is the actual team.

On Cahill - he was Dublin's best back granted (other 5 weren't that great were they?). That's not enough to get an allstar though. The likes of Killian Young, Damian Freeman and Conor Gormley had better years and that's just off the top of my head.

Cluxton had a solid but unspectacular year until his monumental clusterfuck against Kerry. That mistake alone should have ruled him out of the equation. A travesty for the Meath goalie.
Yeah, agree about Murphy - he was the best keeper this year, CLuxton did well against Derry, but the finishes left a bit to be desired too.  Not much wrong with the forwards though (well, Brogan is a bit contentious).

magpie seanie

QuoteCLuxton did well against Derry

Maybe Ross McConnell should get the goalie allstar.

Bogball XV

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2007, 12:20:58 PM

I was surprised he wasn't nominated.

Croí na hÉireann

Jaysus, I'd have Cluxton and Cahil on the team before Canty & Whelan. Canty & Whelan are in a direct fight with McCloy & Murphy if u ask me.

These are cast iron anyway IMHO...

???????????????
Marc O'Se       ???????????????   ??????????????
Tomas O'Se    ???????????????   ??????????????
              Dara O'Se    ????????????
???????????    Declan O'Sullivan   ??????????????
Colm Cooper   ???????????????   Tomas Freeman
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

Ciaran Whelan should get the keeper's award - then they could give Murphy one at midfield, and sell some papers in Langerland.  ::)

Well, they have done daft things before.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Stagmeister

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 19, 2007, 12:20:58 PM

That was actually Barry Cahill who made that brilliant goal line block against Derry...

magpie seanie

Explains his allstar so. ::)