What would happen if?

Started by BennyHarp, October 18, 2007, 12:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

This is just a thought i had after reading some of the posts about players striking and also the fact that the US open handball was run by an organisation other than the GAA.

What would happen if there was a split in the GAA? and say, (for example like in darts PDC V WDB or boxings WBA, WBO, WBC Etc)  another organisation set up its own championship. e.g. the GPA All Ireland Championship - sponsored by a few major companies prepared to pump millions of pound into the competition.

This championship is prepared to pay the players to play in an elite championship and break away from the GAA. So like a champions league style professional hurling and football championship is formed, only concentrating on county football! The GAA is left to look after club footbal and hurlingl which is pillaged for its best talent by the county teams!

This is written with my tongue frimly in my cheek, but is it completely ridiculous or a possible doomsday scenario???
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

i'm sure with plenty of money involved something could be sorted out!

deiseach

It's a question best left to the philosophers.

With that in mind, I'd certainly be one of those people who such a competition would be aimed at, someone who is only truly interested in their county*. You'd probably find a lot of overlap between the two, much like the way those involved in FC United of Manchester, for all of their pious cant about the purity of their love for the Red Devils of Matt Busby and, uh, George Best, still can't tear themselves away from the excitement generated at Old Trafford.

*I went to my first club match in eight years last weekend. I wonder do people become more attached to the club scene as they get older . . .

the green man

It never would happen, the GAA would probably ban players who choose to play in it, therefore ruling them out of club action.

Rossfan

At best you'd end up with  8 or 10 artificial teams in a league which would die  through lack of interest after about 5 years at most as people would be totally bored of it.
How much would it cost - 10 teams with squads of 25 plus 5 or more backroom all avareging €1200 a head per week. That would give you a wage bill of about 18m per annum.
Ground rental,training grounds,insurances travel etc etc  probably €30m per annum.
Even if sponsorship and TV was readily available  still need to raise up to €20m from gate receipts - or a total of 1 million spectators to go to 90 league games (4 rounds) and maybe 20 Cup/Championship/play off games.

I DON'T THINK SO .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

MWWSI 2017

timmykelleher

On what basis could the GAA ban them?
If professional soccer and Aussie rules players can play for their clubs then surely they can't ban players for playing in the "GPA football league" so long as their own clubs don't pay them to play.

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

the green man

Quote from: timmykelleher on October 19, 2007, 11:02:02 AM
On what basis could the GAA ban them?
If professional soccer and Aussie rules players can play for their clubs then surely they can't ban players for playing in the "GPA football league" so long as their own clubs don't pay them to play.

Same way as they banned ye if ye played soccer, times ago

deiseach

The pro league would never let their 'assets' play for their GAA clubs

BennyHarp

QuoteSame way as they banned ye if ye played soccer, times ago

Yeah but that was years ago! Players earn a reputation playing for club - sign for a professional county team, dont play club anymore until their county contract runs out!