GPA issues members with a ballot for strike!

Started by amallon, October 17, 2007, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think you may be right Hardy. I can see a lot of managers, especially those already getting illegal payments, following the GPA. After all, if things get messy and the players start saying things like '****** gets paid €200 a session, why can't we?'.

That would be no bad thing either in my opinion, so we could lift that particular dirty rock and sort out those payments.

Hound

I really hope a strike doesnt happen but it would be very interesting to see how it played out if it did happen.

Personally I think the GPA have every right to ask for whatever they want to ask for, but at the same time the GAA are of course in the right to deny them direct pay for play. If the GPA organised a strike because of some issue with expenses or insurance or similar, then I'd support them 100%, but in this case while the GAA moved slowly to start with, I dont see how they can do much more so I don't really understand why a strike is called for - I can only guess that its an attempt to play hardball to get the GAA/govt to find a solution expediently. I'm sure the extra weeks for voting is to ensure that there are no or very few big club games on if/when a strike is called and I'd be very surprised if any strike lasts until the beginning of the National League.

But even if a strike is called in the off season it'll be very interesting to see what contingency plans are set up. Personally I can't see the DCB going against the Dublin players (as I'm sure the management team will not go against the players), so I couldnt see a Dublin senior team playing while a strike is ongoing. The Under 21 teams could still play, but only in U21 competitions.