Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Best

Cuckoos nest.
Shawshank.
Omen series..

Worst.
caddyshack 2.
Chuck norris movies, I feckin hate them.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Main Street

Quote from: nifan on February 07, 2008, 04:22:12 PM
boxing helena - shite
Thats it.
memorable for the leading ladies that were contracted to take the role but risked bankruptcy to run in the other direction as if it was the plague.

North Longford

Shawshank is the number 1 for me
Other really good.........
Green Mile
6th Sense
The Others
The Field
Buthcer Boy is diificult to watch but very good in a deep way
Forest Gump
The Truman Show

For some reason loved Kill Bill.......not sure if its Uma Thurman on the rampage or what

Oldies..........
Like a lot of John Wayne stuff particularly The Quiet Man
Loved It's a wonderful life and
Gone with the wind is good too

Something curious (I don't mean Tom Cruise) about Vanilla Sky that has made me watch it a couple of times

Funnies....
A lot of good ones
Think The whole 9 yards and the Whole 10 yards are very good....particularly Bruce Willis
Me Myself and Irene is brilliant
My best friends wedding and Something about Mary are good too
Dumb and Dumber is great too
What women want and Liar Liar are funny too

Like Serendipity too and Sleepy Hollow and Love actually.
Liked Notting Hill also...bit chicky maybe though
And Bend it Like Beckham.............the Kiera Knightly trend is showing now.........dare I mention Pirates of .........nah although J Depp is very good in this

Probably loads of others too..........must mention ET.......first film I saw in the cinema!!

Don't really hate any films becasue I generally  stop watching afer 15 mins if I'm not getting it.

his holiness nb

Personally I think the most underated film of all time was "Ravenous".

One of my all time favourites.

"Pans Labrynth" was also excellent. Suprised its not acclaimed by more people.

Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: AFS on February 08, 2008, 06:23:01 AM
Anyone ever watch any Japanese anime films? I know a lot of people have preconceptions that they're either geeky or childish but if you have ever seen an anime feature film (not the crap children's tv series pokemon type stuff) you'd realise that this is far from the truth.

The Japanese have a completely different take on animation than us in the west. Here the vast majority of animations are either for kids or comedy shows like the simpsons etc., but in Japan they view animation as no different to live action films and most are made with an adult audience in mind.

I'd recommend everyone to give at least one film a chance and i'd be pretty sure that most would enjoy it a lot more than they'd expect to. The best ones are made by Studio Ghibli (the kind of Japanese version of Disney) with films like Spirited Away (which won an oscar a couple of years ago and is Jonathan Ross' favourite film i believe), Howl's Moving Castle or my favourite one which is Grave of the Fireflies (Roger Ebert, the most famous film critic in the states who does the thumbs up/ down stuff called this movie the most powerful anti-war movie ever made and its definitely moving stuff).

All of these films can be found on torrent sites if you can't be bothered go look for them elsewhere.

Just saw "spirited away" AFS, though it was excellent, really weird but fascinating.
Will keep an eye out for the others.
Ask me holy bollix

stpauls

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 08, 2008, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 08, 2008, 06:23:01 AM
Anyone ever watch any Japanese anime films? I know a lot of people have preconceptions that they're either geeky or childish but if you have ever seen an anime feature film (not the crap children's tv series pokemon type stuff) you'd realise that this is far from the truth.

The Japanese have a completely different take on animation than us in the west. Here the vast majority of animations are either for kids or comedy shows like the simpsons etc., but in Japan they view animation as no different to live action films and most are made with an adult audience in mind.

I'd recommend everyone to give at least one film a chance and i'd be pretty sure that most would enjoy it a lot more than they'd expect to. The best ones are made by Studio Ghibli (the kind of Japanese version of Disney) with films like Spirited Away (which won an oscar a couple of years ago and is Jonathan Ross' favourite film i believe), Howl's Moving Castle or my favourite one which is Grave of the Fireflies (Roger Ebert, the most famous film critic in the states who does the thumbs up/ down stuff called this movie the most powerful anti-war movie ever made and its definitely moving stuff).

All of these films can be found on torrent sites if you can't be bothered go look for them elsewhere.

Just saw "spirited away" AFS, though it was excellent, really weird but fascinating.
Will keep an eye out for the others.

HH, if you can find it, watch Ghost In The Shell! it is the original Matrix, or at least the anime movie that the Wachowski Brothers (spl) based the Matrix story on! Brilliant!

Billys Boots

Quote"Pans Labyrinth" was also excellent.

I liked this a lot too Holiness.  Watched 'Zodiac' too recently and enjoyed it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

theskull1

Also watched spirited away a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it

Refreshingly different

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Taped Catch A Fire over the weekend on Sky Movies, and watched it last night.

Very good, I have to say. Similar in a way to Hotel Rwanda, but it deals with apartheid in South Africa, and is based on the true story of a young black father who is just trying to get by in 80's South Africa, and is wrongly accused of bombing the Oil company he works with. The treatment from Tim Robbins as the Anti Terrorism officer turns him into an ANC radical.

Really enjoyed it.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 28, 2008, 10:25:23 AM
Taped Catch A Fire over the weekend on Sky Movies, and watched it last night.

Very good, I have to say. Similar in a way to Hotel Rwanda, but it deals with apartheid in South Africa, and is based on the true story of a young black father who is just trying to get by in 80's South Africa, and is wrongly accused of bombing the Oil company he works with. The treatment from Tim Robbins as the Anti Terrorism officer turns him into an ANC radical.

Really enjoyed it.
I thought it was interesting but didn't really gel as a film just after he was released from the interrogation. Tried to cover too much after that without having any thread and in the end tried to arrive at forgiveness. I would read the book though.
One of my favorite dramas about South Africa is Inside 1996
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116640/

AZOffaly

Yeah, they 'landed the plane' very quickly after he was released from Robin Island. Sounds like there's another whole movie there. 80 orphans!!!

Main Street

I was referring to his first release from interrogation.

I would have started the film with his life after he went to Mozambique but the best filming were in the scenes before he left.

AZOffaly

I see what you mean. I dunno though, I suppose they wanted to re-inforce the idea that it was the whole interrogation that turned him, and that needed a very quick turn to the 'dark side'. They skipped over the young lad he had by the other woman.

I still liked the film though, well worth a look. I'd imagine they could have made a film 3 times as long out of his life.

Main Street

A very sharp humorous satirical film on the develepment of the Bradley tank called The Pentagon Wars 1998 Kelsy Grammer.
How to spend $980m over 17 years and have nothing to show except a tank that isn't even bullet proof and tends to explode into flames at the least provocation

No wonder the invasion of Cuba was put on permanent hold.

pintsofguinness

"Miracle" on RTE2 now - great film.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?