st Gerard Majella novena

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, October 16, 2007, 12:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Flip lads will you give over. This is a thread of ecumenical nature and not the place to discuss Snowed Under's car habits or pog firing blanks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Snowed Under

Quote from: ONeill on October 16, 2007, 02:59:18 PM
Flip lads will you give over. This is a thread of ecumenical nature and not the place to discuss Snowed Under's car habits or pog firing blanks.

Be interesting to see if the masses call for bans or shout shame to ONeill!

his holiness nb

That would be harsh considering nobody called for you to be banned  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

Gerard Majella

Memorial

16 October

Son of a tailor who died when the boy was 12, leaving the family in poverty. Gerard tried to join the Capuchins, but his health prevented it He was accepted as a Redemptorist lay brother serving his congregation as sacristan, gardener, porter, infirmarian, and tailor. Wonder worker.

When falsely accused by a pregnant woman of being the father of her child, he retreated to silence; she later recanted and cleared him, and thus began his association as patron of all aspects of pregnancy. Reputed to bilocate and read consciences. His last will consisted of the following small note on the door of his cell: "Here the will of God is done, as God wills, and as long as God wills."

Born

23 April 1725 at Muro, Italy

Died

16 October 1755 at Caposele, Italy of tuberculosis

Beatified

29 January 1893 by Pope Leo XIII

Canonized

11 December 1904 by Pope Saint Pius X

Patronage

childbirth; children; expectant mothers; falsely accused people; good confessions; lay brothers; motherhood; mothers; Muro, Italy; pregnant women; pro-life movement; unborn children

Lecale2

Thank you for that O'Neill. I never heard of this saint until today. Is he also the patron saint of Dundalk? What do they have such a big event for him in Dundalk?

ONeill

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 16, 2007, 04:57:35 PM
Thank you for that O'Neill. I never heard of this saint until today. Is he also the patron saint of Dundalk? What do they have such a big event for him in Dundalk?

Again, from the top of my head:

St. Josephs Parish Church,a redemptorist House in Dundalk, welcomes 1000's of people from all over Ireland to the Annual Festival of Faith in Honour of St. Gerard Majella. After Bro. Gerards Beatification in 1893, a triuum in his honour was preached in St. Joseph's by Fr. Hall, widely regarded as one of the greatest preachers of his day. The people of Dundalk took St. Gerard into their hearts after this sermon and continued to pay devotion to him on a regular basis. However during the 1930's, Fr John Murray, started what has become, the biggest festival of faith in Ireland, The Annual Nine Novena to St. Gerard Majella. Beging on the 8th October and finishing on his feast day, the 16th October. Fr. Hugo Kerr erected a shrine to St. Gerard in the church in 1939. The novena's appeal was unforseen back then and today it continues to grow with over 10,000 people attending the novena on a daily basis.

The novena consists of 10 sessions a day, with the first session starting at 7a.m. running all day until the last session at 10p.m., this mass is conducted in candlelight. Prayers and Petitions are offered up daily by members of the public and are read out during each session. Due to the increasing numbers attending the Novena each year extra seating is added to the hallways, monestary rooms, side alters and the parish hall, were each session is shown live on large T.V. screens.

One memorable event of the novena from years past was the Trumpet players that performed at each of the sessions on the last day of the Novena. The last days of the novena also see's an increase in attendences as those who are unable to make it through out the novena usually attend the last three days.

SouthArmaghBandit

A couple of years ago a mate of mine was knocked down by an old Ford Fiesta after coming out of a pub in Forkhill. He had had a right few and couldn't get up or speak after the accident. There were 3 auld dolls in the car and one of them ran into the pub and phoned an ambulance from Newry.

She came out and told him the ambulance would be half an hour. She also explained that they couldn't wait with him because they were late for the Novena!
So they drove off and left the poor bastard laying there.  >:(

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on October 16, 2007, 06:01:41 PM
A couple of years ago a mate of mine was knocked down by an old Ford Fiesta after coming out of a pub in Forkhill. He had had a right few and couldn't get up or speak after the accident. There were 3 auld dolls in the car and one of them ran into the pub and phoned an ambulance from Newry.

She came out and told him the ambulance would be half an hour. She also explained that they couldn't wait with him because they were late for the Novena!

LOL I've no doubt thats a true story. I used to go for many years and whilst I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a holy joe it can be an uplifting experience.  To be honest the wife is dragging me and the kids out to it tonight. I remember that in 2002 on the final day of the novena the Priests paraded that Sam Maguire Cup at the close of each of the 10 masses.

[/quote]

And you could pray that you could have some; or else give thanks that you can't. 
[/quote]

Snowed Under you're pathetic

Square Ball

ONeill

never took you as a religious scholar  :D

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SouthArmaghBandit

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on October 16, 2007, 06:28:17 PM

I remember that in 2002 on the final day of the novena the Priests paraded that Sam Maguire Cup at the close of each of the 10 masses.

I remember hearing that at the time. Fair play to him! Was he an Armagh man by any chance? I wonder did they do that back in the 50s when Louth won sam?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Do you any of you Belfast Boys have a copy of the recording of the message a frustrated night shift worker left on the Clonard answering machine to complain to Clonard about the fact that the novena bells and loudspeaker singing were disturbing his sleep during the day. It's hilarious.

Sky Blue

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on October 16, 2007, 06:01:41 PM

:D :D :D

theskull1

Quote from: ONeill on October 16, 2007, 02:59:18 PM

Flip doesn't carry enough weight in this day and age ONeill. I good oul "Fer fucks sake...." would have sorted them out, although due to the nature of the thread I can understand your reluctance to use it.  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Declan

QuoteSaint Brigid would be more associated with Faughart, Dundalk and indeed Louth. I think the St Brigids Cross is still used on the Louth Jersey.

Indeed- Did I see a St Brigids Cross on Stauntons lapel the other night? Really he should be praying to St Jude!!i

Silky

As saints go this guy is something else. He's right up there in the champions league of sainthood. I've just completed the 9 day devotions myself. Here's a copy for anyone else who want to get closer to God.

Nine Days Novena to
St Gerard Majella

DAY ONE

Saint Gerard,
ever full of faith,
obtain for me that,
believing firmly all that the the Church of God proposes to my belief,
I may strive to secure through a holy life,
the joys of eternal happiness.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

Pray for us, O Saint Gerard
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let Us pray.

Almighty and Everlasting God,
who did draw to Yourself Saint Gerard,
even from his tenderest years,
making him conformable to the Image of Your Crucified Son,
grant we beseech You,
that imitating his example,
we may be made like unto the same Divine Image,
through Jesus Christ Our Lord.

Amen.

DAY TWO

Saint Gerard,
most generous saint,
who from they tenderest years
did care so little for the goods of earth,
grant that I may place all my confidence in Jesus Christ alone,
my true Treasure,
who alone can make me happy in time and eternity.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY THREE

Saint Gerard,
bright seraph of love,
who despising all earthly love,
did consecrate your life to the service of God
and your neighbor,
promoting God's glory in your lowly state,
and ever ready to assist the distressed
and console the sorrowful,
obtain for me, I beseech thee,
that loving God the only good 
and my neighbor for His sake,
I may be hereafter united to Him
forever in glory.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY FOUR

Saint Gerard,
spotless lily of purity,
by the angelic virtue
and thy wonderful innocence of life
you did receive from the Infant Jesus
and His Immaculate Mother,
sweet pledges of tender love,
grant, I beseech you,
that I may ever strive manfully in my lifelong fight,
and therefore win the crown
that awaits the brave and the true.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY FIVE

Saint Gerard,
model of holy obedience,
who through your life
did heroically submit your judgment
to those who represent Jesus Christ to you,
therefore sanctifying your lowliest actions,
obtain for me from God
cheerful submission to His Holy Will
and the virtue of perfect obedience,
that I may be made conformable to Jesus,
my Model, who was obedient even to death.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY SIX

Saint Gerard,
most perfect imitator of Jesus Our Redeemer,
you whose greatest glory was to be humble and lowly,
obtain that I too,
knowing my littleness in God's sight
may be found worthy to enter the kingdom
that is promised to the humble and lowly of heart.

Hail Mary...

DAY SEVEN

Saint Gerard,
unconquered hero,
most patient in suffering,
you who did glory in infirmity,
and under slander
and most cruel ignominy did rejoice to suffer with Christ,
obtain for me patience
and resignation in my sorrows,
that I may bravely bear the cross
that is to gain for me
the crown of everlasting glory.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY EIGHT

Saint Gerard,
true lover of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar,
you who did kneel long hours before the Tabernacle,
and there did taste the joys of paradise,
obtain for me an undying love for the Most Holy Sacrament,
that receiving frequently the Body and Blood of Jesus,
I may daily grow in His holy love
and merit the priceless grace of loving Him
even to the end.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...

DAY NINE

Saint Gerard,
most favored child of heaven,
to whom Mary gave the Infant Jesus
in the days of your childhood,
to whom she sweetly came
before you did close your eyes in death,
obtain for me I beseech you,
so to seek and love my Blessed Mother during life,
that she may be my joy
and consolation in this valley of tears,
until with you,
before the throne of God,
I may praise her goodness for all eternity.

Amen.

Recite 9 times..

Hail Mary...