Polish,Nigerian or Romanian Gaelic footballers.

Started by mannix, October 15, 2007, 01:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

The only person of non African descent to break 10 seconds for the 100m is Patrick Johnson who is of mixed Australian aborigine and Irish descent.

More on Patrick Johnson http://www.geocities.com/geetee/bios/prof_pj.html

Kerry Mike

I remember hearing there was a Polish lad who played for Laois back in the end of the 1940's probably after the war. Maybe the Laois lads can fill in the details.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

thebandit

The Lee brothers in Monaghan who hurl for the county are of Chinese descent,

apart from that, people in Monaghan have a deep mistrust of 'blow-ins' from across the border never mind people of different nationalities :D :D

Denn Forever

Is Gallogly who plays with the Monaghan seniors not of Asian descent?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blast05

Ballyhaunis minor hurling team had 5 Pakistani lads playing with them this year

winsamsoon

In castlebalyney today lads there is a special tournament organised for the foreighn national school children. The Ulster Council are running it and it will attract players from Poland, East Temor, India, Romania and many many more nationalities. What's the thoughts on this one??
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 16, 2007, 11:11:25 AM

Mac an Ghallóglaigh, you reckon  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

darbyo

QuoteIn castlebalyney today lads there is a special tournament organised for the foreighn national school children. The Ulster Council are running it and it will attract players from Poland, East Temor, India, Romania and many many more nationalities. What's the thoughts on this one??

This is brilliant and I'm sure that the Ulster Council also run an inter firms for foreign nationals. However I haven't heard of anything similar being done by other provincial councils. Surely the GAA should be formulating a coordinated long term plan for introducing the immigrant communities to the GAA. Unlike soccer and to a lesser degree rugby these people know nothing of the games and can't simply start playing with their local team(if they were so inclined). If we don't work extremely hard in a stuctured rather than happazard manner a significant proportion of the Irish population in 20 years time may have little interest in the GAA.

INDIANA

one of the best up and coming young hurlers from dublin is from pakistan. has played on all the development underage teams only about 16.

thebandit

Are you maybe thinking of Conor Galligan, Monaghan minor player?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: thebandit on October 16, 2007, 02:48:18 PM

I presume he flippantly meant Paul "Jap" Finlay.

heurebag

theres a yung lad for our U16 who is of a russian backgroung, very strong and big

and theres another boy from austrailia playin for us

ans one from kenya who isnt as big as the other two but is stil very fast

there no gud at gaelic but

Denn Forever

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 16, 2007, 04:44:09 PM
Quote from: thebandit on October 16, 2007, 02:48:18 PM

I presume he flippantly meant Paul "Jap" Finlay.

No I think it is Gallogly.  His mother is from the Phillipines.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Frank Casey

I suppose you have to throw in Micheal's comment about Sean Og O Hailpin

"His fathers from Fermanagh, his mother from Fiji - neither renowned as hurling strongholds"
KERRY 3:7

Pangurban

The majority of Club players here in Down are of Viking or Norman descent, most have integrated well into Irish society despite facing rejection from elements in the Southern Media, and some have gone on to play at Co.Level even winning all ireland medals. Some of them even became nationalised and eligible to play for Ireland. There no reason why our more recent immigrants should not be just as successful