Kerry GAA to flash the cash

Started by Kerry Mike, October 11, 2007, 08:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quotethey are striking a deal with the local authorities in Cork whereby they get to build on public land

no harm in striking a deal, councils deal with all sorts of developers, this is quite different from getting the council to build a stadium for your exclusive use with public money.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublinfella

Quote from: armaghniac on October 16, 2007, 11:12:02 PM
Quotethey are striking a deal with the local authorities in Cork whereby they get to build on public land

no harm in striking a deal, councils deal with all sorts of developers, this is quite different from getting the council to build a stadium for your exclusive use with public money.

surely than shamrock rovers have the right to strike a deal with the council too?

its extremely rare for the state to do a CPO and hand to a private developer, they are generally reserved for road building projects and the like. not to take from one sport and give/sell to another.

and the tallaght issue isnt over money, as has been done to death, its about the GAA not being able to use a stadium owned by the council. and on the same day they bring this case announce a deal to build on council land. total hypocricy.

I dont want this debate to go off on the Tallaght tangent and the usual suspects come in and shout it down and have it closed, all i'll say is it fits into the feeling I have that there is no coherent plan for how many stadia and how big they should be. there seems to be zero strategic thinking on this issue.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: dublinfella on October 16, 2007, 10:48:46 PM
Quote from: Frank Casey on October 16, 2007, 08:13:15 PM
These talks were made possible by the local authority acquiring the 22-acre site from the Munster Agricultural Society via Compulsory Purchase Order.

The council doing a CPO for the GAA?  ???

Surely if consistancy is being applied and its public land, the soccer lads will get in as the GAA argued today in court over Tallaght.....

:D :D :D Nice terminology. At the risk of sounding like me old school principal (now I know what he was blathering about all those years ago), who do u think you're fooling???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 17, 2007, 08:26:37 AM
Oh god, here we go again! :o

and right on queue here come the usual suspects....

do you not think i have a point? the GAA are suing South Dublin CC for providing land for soccer only and on the same day they go to court announce a deal with Cork CC who are providing land for the GAA only!?! its a bit rich, and if Thomas Davis win, the FAI lawyers will have a field day.

Either the GAA has no idea what individual county boards are up to, in this case Dublin trying to block the same deal the Cork are announcing, or the GAA have not fully thought out the implications of the Tallaght case. Or both.

Someone in Jones Road needs to get control of stadia policy now.

scalder

If the GAA purchased the CPO'ed land from the CC then they're would be no obligation to open up the stadium built on the land. This stadium building is gone mad, Gaelic Grounds is a white elephant and the idea of building such a big ground in Kerry is crazy – its in the corner of the island and so won't get neutral games, Cork has a better case but I still think this is a pissing contest. Thurles should be upgraded to near Croke Park standards and keep all county grounds on a smaller scale.

dublinfella

Quote from: scalder on October 17, 2007, 10:35:43 AM
If the GAA purchased the CPO'ed land from the CC then they're would be no obligation to open up the stadium built on the land.

I agree, but the DCB  are arguing the opposite today in the High Court. Once there is a CPO involved, things get complicated.

Is the CPO a red herring? Surely thay cant force someone to sell them land and hand it over to to a private concern?

deiseach

The only thing I'd say to the GAA on this matter is not to pay any attention to the learned advice of dublinfella SC. He argued that Thomas Davis' case was going to be thrown out and that they were wasting their time. He was, of course, wrong, and I see no reason to pay any heed to his interpretations of the law before the wigs have ruled on it.

Bud Wiser

What about the other Davis fella, Steve.  That stupid add he does on the wireless:

"...against all the odds, I done what I done,
won the world title, in 1981,
and again in '82 and 83 and 84,
and in 87 and 88 I did it oncce more. ... etc

Is that about snooker or Kerry football?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on October 17, 2007, 11:13:20 AM
The only thing I'd say to the GAA on this matter is not to pay any attention to the learned advice of dublinfella SC. He argued that Thomas Davis' case was going to be thrown out and that they were wasting their time. He was, of course, wrong, and I see no reason to pay any heed to his interpretations of the law before the wigs have ruled on it.

considering the case is being heard today, how was I wrong?

regarldless of the rights and wrongs of that case, it smacks of double standards for the GAA to sue to stop it on one hand and engage in it on the other.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on October 16, 2007, 10:48:46 PM
Quote from: Frank Casey on October 16, 2007, 08:13:15 PM
These talks were made possible by the local authority acquiring the 22-acre site from the Munster Agricultural Society via Compulsory Purchase Order.
The council doing a CPO for the GAA?  ???
Surely if consistancy is being applied and its public land, the soccer lads will get in as the GAA argued today in court over Tallaght.....

if this is to be a council owned municipal stadium, then yes, soccer and rugby etc should have th right to play on it.

When I was reading the outline for the plans, I though are the kerry boys being cute here and setting up a venue to hold country and western concerts or to host Munster/club rugby matches.
Certainly a large capacity stadium that is empty apart from at most once a year doesnt make sense - and those kerry fellas dont easily part with their money ... ;)

So if this is municipal - I think all sports , concerts and festivals will be held in here...

knowing them cute Kerry folk - they'll have some plan

but 'yes' to your question dubfella, if it equates to the tallaght situation and a sport for all municipal stadium - soccer should be included- from my perspective at least !

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on October 17, 2007, 11:25:49 AM
considering the case is being heard today, how was I wrong?

They applied for a judicial review and were successful, something you were convinced they would not get. Remember your posts relaying to us how tetchy the judge was with TD's brief?

AZOffaly

deiseach, don't be wasting your time man.

deiseach

You're right, on to more productive things. Bit of a bummer about those Diamondbacks? :P

AZOffaly

Òn second thoughts, go back to baiting dublinfella instead.