Cluxton slams fairweather Dubs

Started by Balboa, October 11, 2007, 12:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

Cluxton slams "fair weather" supporters
11 October 2007

Dublin goalkeeper Stephen Cluxton has launched a stinging attack on the county's "fair weather" supporters.

The Parnells clubman hit out at the supporters who pack Croke Park in the summer but who are conspicuous by their absence during the winter months.

"It's funny that you go to a game up in Ballybofey in mid-winter and you have a handful of supporters there," he remarked.

"You go into Croke Park in the first round and you are playing anybody and it's packed to the gills. You are kind of saying to yourself, where are all these coming from and do they even support the game, or are they just looking for a day out?

"I'm not saying they are all football or rugby supporters or anything like that. I suppose in Dublin though, you probably have more critics than you do have supporters.

"They don't understand the term (supporter) I don't think."

Gentlemen please start your engines...........

AZOffaly

I can see the stunned faces of GNevin, his holiness, Tankie, DubsForSam et al... an agonised gasp followed by a barely audible 'et tu Clucko?'

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 11, 2007, 12:27:17 PM
I can see the stunned faces of GNevin, his holiness, Tankie, DubsForSam et al... an agonised gasp followed by a barely audible 'et tu Clucko?'

Well you must be looking a picture you drew. What their to be stunned about? Shock Dublin has fair weather fans! Stop the presses! Nothing we didn't already know about Dublin and every other county.

p.s it means alot to me i came first in your listed of shocked dub's  ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Shamrock Shore

He would have been better off praising the lads who go to the arseholes of the bog in the winter supporting the Dubs rather than slamming the 'I'm watching Chelsea/Liverpool/Utd' brigade that we all know about.

Has a 'Pope is fond of Catholicism', 'Bears' toilet habits in question' quality about it.

GalwayBayBoy

;D

DUBSFORSAM1

I don't think there isn't a Dublin fan who doesn't admit that there are lots of bandwagon supporters (though every county has them).....for me the problem is when people who do go to games struggle to get tickets for the big games... >:(

INDIANA

Tankie

I wouldn't disagree with him on that one at all, and as 5times says this is in every county. Everyone knows that the league is where the real fans are and the Championship is the GAA cash cow! But i do understand why alot of people do not go to the league games, sometime the standard of football can be very poor as most team have second and even 3rd string teams out for the league.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Declan

Too busy saving up for the summer matches. Anyway Ballybofey in February - are you mad :D

Gnevin

Quote from: Declan on October 11, 2007, 01:29:53 PM
Too busy saving up for the summer matches. Anyway Ballybofey in February - are you mad :D
Donegal in winters ,horrible
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

screenexile

People from Donegal don't even want to go to Ballybofey for matches!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Gnevin on October 11, 2007, 02:18:24 PM

Summers aren't great either, just ask the Armagh fans  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gnevin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2007, 02:26:41 PM

Your right we should kick donegal out of the All-Ireland sure its far to windy up their to play football

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on October 11, 2007, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 11, 2007, 02:26:41 PM

Your right we should kick donegal out of the All-Ireland sure its far to windy up their to play football

its that bad the brits wouldnt even take it off our hands :P
Grand Slam Saturday!

his holiness nb

Not stunned at all, I oftern wonder the same thing as Clucko at some away games.
Incidentally I was in Donegal this winter (Ballyshannon not Ballybofey Clucko  ;) ) and have the DVD to prove it as a throughly miserable looking His Holiness got a good 5-10 seconds of coverage. Dying of a hangover and getting absolutely pissed on, His Holiness was not at his most glamourous!

Ask me holy bollix