Development of GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, October 11, 2007, 09:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

I noticed this job advertisement on the GAA in Britain website - does this mean that the GAA are finally going to make a meaningful effort to develop the game in the UK or will it have the rug pulled from beneath it after a year if its not an instant success! Looks an interesting job though!

Job Opportunities

09/10/2007

STRATEGIC PLAN FOR THE PROMOTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF GAELIC GAMES IN BRITAIN – APPOINTMENTS

It is proposed to make a number of appointments in conjunction with the roll out of a Strategic Plan for the promotion and development of Gaelic Games in Britain. (This Plan is being implemented with financial support from the GAA Central Council and the Department of Foreign Affairs (Dion) Fund).

1. Provincial Games & Administrative Manager for Britain

2. Games Development Administrators in London, Hertfordshire, Warwickshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Scotland and Gloucestershire.
(Applicants for these position are requested to indicate their preferred choice of location and to do so in order of priority if needs be).

Candidates will be expected to have a good knowledge of the GAA – its Grassroots to National Programme (GNP) in particular – and to have good Organisational, Planning, Communication and IT Skills.

A Third Level Qualification in the area of Sports Administration/Development will be an advantage as will a proven track record in the area of GAA Games Development.

Salary scales will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and the successful candidates will be expected to have completed the appropriate Coaching, Code of Ethics and CRB accreditation.

Interviews for these positions are scheduled to take place in Birmingham on November 6/7.

Please write - in confidence – stating how you meet the above requirements and enclosing a Curriculum Vitae to agibney@admingaa.ie

The closing date for receipt of applications is Monday October 22.

The Provincial Council of Britain is an equal opportunities employer.

That was never a square ball!!

Gnevin

Interesting , hopfully they will be give this a chance.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

I don't see the point in this at all, if it was a professional game i would see some point but these clubs are just costing money. Can honestly even see a team from the UK with English players (not ex pats) fielding a decent team in the Championship?
Grand Slam Saturday!

stpauls

Quote from: Tankie on October 11, 2007, 03:08:45 PM
I don't see the point in this at all, if it was a professional game i would see some point but these clubs are just costing money. Can honestly even see a team from the UK with English players (not ex pats) fielding a decent team in the Championship?

i have a mate or two playing over there and they have informed me that they are trying to get GAA introduced to primary schools throughout the country, with some already playing it there, so you never know, in a few years time, they could easily be competing well in the Championship, especially if they can get it into more and more schools.

u bent op uw

Interesting to see how this will develop. I believe clubs outside the large cities will continue to struggle to find established gaelic players. It's easier for urban clubs to pick up the students and migrating Irish workers (although these are fewer than ever).

Like any development, the key to success will be enough local people willing to devote their time. The GAA can provide the resource but it is not easy building a social and cultural atmosphere thats drives parish/club success (as in ireland) and the constant stream of underage players.

Rural clubs will have to think differently, that may include more mergers, developing school across a wider region, targeting new migrants, for example eastern Europeans who may well be attracted by the GAA ethos (social inclusion,culture) like the Irish did when they arrived here in numbers.

I hope the new county based developers look outside the established clubs (these are the easy wins) and show a bit of imagination in more difficult areas. Likewise it will be up to the smaller clubs to fight their corner and make their voice heard.

On Tankie's point.....there are plenty of clubs in Ireland with Irish players who don't field a team that win championships. If that is alll you think the GAA is about then you are missing the point completely.I take it you won't be volunteering your own time.

I wish all the new people every success, the GAA is still a huge influence for many exiled Gaels and newcomers to the games in Britain.

Gnevin

Warwickshire will be more competitive than London in a few years . Which is good progess
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on October 11, 2007, 03:33:11 PM
Warwickshire will be more competitive than London in a few years . Which is good progess

London are competitive????
Grand Slam Saturday!

BallyhaiseMan

third level qualification in sports administration/deveopment?

fairly narrows down the list of potential applicants.

Graduates of the Sports Management Degree in UCD need only apply.

u bent op uw

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on October 11, 2007, 05:11:28 PM
third level qualification in sports administration/deveopment?

fairly narrows down the list of potential applicants.

Graduates of the Sports Management Degree in UCD need only apply.

Agree it is very specific.......somebody with a track record of developing sport, no matter the code, could be considered. They could soon pick up the GAA aspect and mentality.

BennyHarp

QuoteI don't see the point in this at all, if it was a professional game i would see some point but these clubs are just costing money. Can honestly even see a team from the UK with English players (not ex pats) fielding a decent team in the Championship?

Tankie, i think you completely miss the point. The GAA's responsibility is to everyone who wishes to play the game and develop the sport! There is a huge number of people who play the sport in the UK and the only reason they arent as good as irish players is because they dont have the same regular coaching and matches as in Ireland. My club fielded 12 english born lads in the championship this year and i can honestly say each and every one of them love playing the sport and given the same chances as irish lads would become excellent players. To simply dismiss an effort to promote the game as a "waste of money" is extremely narrow minded in my view and an insult to alot of people who put alot of work in.

Why do people try to promote hurlng in Tyrone? Or football in Kilkenny - sure its a pointless waste of time - your right we definately should only promote our sports in areas where it is successful and the counties and clubs have a chance of winning all irelands!!  ::)

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on October 11, 2007, 04:58:17 PM

At their level of Hurling yes. Look at the bigger picture you can't just say sure they've never won anything sure why bother , if Tyrone , Armagh had of done that they would of never won the AI..........

and the rest of us would be extremely happy about that  ;D

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on October 12, 2007, 09:13:30 AM

At their level of Hurling yes. Look at the bigger picture you can't just say sure they've never won anything sure why bother , if Tyrone , Armagh had of done that they would of never won the AI..........

There nordie teams were always competeitive, and had great underage teams and club teams so you cant compair that. Are the players from london or just ex - pats, my point was that these teams will not have home grown talent that is good enough to field a competitive team.
Grand Slam Saturday!

BennyHarp

QuoteThere nordie teams were always competeitive, and had great underage teams and club teams so you cant compair that. Are the players from london or just ex - pats, my point was that these teams will not have home grown talent that is good enough to field a competitive team.

You can compare the Hurling question though! London hurlers proved what is possible if someone has the time or inclination to do something about it! The ex-pats issue is irrelevent, if they are living in the UK and want to play football or hurling they should have some sort of structure in place to meet that need! There are plenty of first or second generation irish lads and ladies would love to play! The problem is that once they get to 14 or 15 there is limited competition for them and they'll only get perhaps one or two meaningful games - its impossible to compete with other sports if we have nothing meaningful to offer!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on October 12, 2007, 09:29:52 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 12, 2007, 09:13:30 AM

There nordie teams were always competeitive, and had great underage teams and club teams so you cant compair that. Are the players from london or just ex - pats, my point was that these teams will not have home grown talent that is good enough to field a competitive team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwickshire_GAA#Schools
I believe London has a similar set up

spiritof91and94

Obviously you have never played away from home!