London

Started by Balboa, October 10, 2007, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

Lads i am going to London for the NFL game in two weeks with the missus, we are staying beside Tower Bridge. The missus wants to "see the sights", are most of the main ones (Buckingham Palace, House Of Commons) handy to Tower Bridge? Also what is the best way to get around central London? I have been told its the tube as i hear the taxis are rip off merchants. Any advice best places to visit/eat/booze?

Balboa

I have a fair idea if i go on the tube i will get lost, especially with a bit of juice on me.

deiseach

Buck House and the Commons *must avoid pedantry* are nowhere near each other or Tower Bridge. Curiously enough, the Tower of London is near to Tower Bridge.

Don't be afraid to use the Tube, the week passes are excellent value so you won't need to be worried about wanting Bank and ending up in Embankment. Just get in the next one heading in the right direction, you'd be unlucky if you were waiting five minutes

pintsofguinness

Balboa the tube is the only way!
As Hardstation says London eye, big ben, downing street are beside each other - you'd walk past downing street and not know it.
Buckingham Palace is a five minute walk from Greenpark Tube station. 
If you're staying beside tower bridge you can jump on a tube from there. 

Get a map of the tube and if you've any trouble reading it let me know. Get yourselves an all day travel card for zones 1 and 2 and that'll do you.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Balboa

Cheers Pints, because im only going for the weekend i dont want to be wandering about lost for too much of the time !!

deiseach

You can't just walk down Downing Street any more for some reason *cough*

SammyG

Depending on the weather it's worth taking the tour boat from Tower Hill (beside Tower Bridge) to Westminster. Or if you're feeling energetic you can walk along the SOuth Bank from Tower Bridge, past the Anchor Pub (decent grub and good beer), then the Globe Theatre then the Tate Modern then the Festival Hall and then on to Westminster (take you about an hour or an hour and a half depending on how many stops you make on the way). At Westminster you can do Big Ben and the London Eye and then get the tube up to the West End.

If you're in London on Sunday morning it's worth getting the tube to Camden Town and going round Camden Market. Every kind of music, clothes and food you'll ever want to see.

deiseach

Downing Street is near the Palace of Westminster *vents pent up pedantry*, Westminster Abbey and in the heart of Whitehall so you have to go and have a gander while pondering just how many butt-ugly statues there are in the vicinity - not least that one of Churchill

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Balboa on October 10, 2007, 10:10:35 PM
Cheers Pints, because im only going for the weekend i dont want to be wandering about lost for too much of the time !!
If you're only going for the weekend you'd maybe be better getting on a sightseeing bus as walking about can take time.  Though we took in Buckingham palance, Houses of Parliament, Downing street, Trafalgar square, Churchill Museum all in the one day - I swore I was never walking again though! 
I know there's a night sightseeing bus leaves from Victoria Station at around 7 or 8 though we didn't go on it. 
Pub across from Victoria Station...Shakesphere something does nice grub. 

My woman didn't think much of the shops, thought they ranged from "have it at home" to "couldn't buy"! 
If you've time go to Hameleys on Regent street - 6 or 7 floors of toys!  ;D

QuoteYou can't just walk down Downing Street any more for some reason *cough*
Well walk past the gates to the street without knowing it, in fact we did! It looks nothing.

ziggysego

Go by Tube. No harm to you, but if you get lost on the Tubes, you're an idiot.

As for Buck's and the rest, all reasonably close to each other and it's a nice walk.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

No, not for not attempting. That's fair enough when you're in a strange city and not familiar with the transport system. Just that if you used it, you would have found it handy enough.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Yeah, but on the airplane you've no control as to where you get off.... unless you have a parachute with you or an Islam Fundamentalist.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

QuoteFcuk, you're lucky. This eejit bought everything just so she could say, "I got it in London" to her mates. *shakes head*
"They're your bags, you f**king carry them!"
I've her well trained.

I wouldn't blame anyone for being reluctant to attempt the tubes but one journey on them and you realise that's the way to go.
It'd be easy enough to rush on to one and then realise you're on the wrong one or have missed your stop, no problem, get off it and go back.  I don't think we waited on one for more than 3 minutes.  We never went wrong either and I swear to God if we can do it anyone can!
You just need to have a map and know before you go how it works.

deiseach

Balboa, don't even think of trying to cram as much as you can into your weekend. Pick a destination that you really want to see - I like to start out at St Paul's, it always takes my breath away - then just drift along to the next sight. Something will present itself as being obvious, there's so much to see and do and the place is incredibly tourist-friendly*

*This is not a guarantee you will not get mugged

ziggysego

Quote from: deiseach on October 10, 2007, 10:59:24 PM
I like to start out at St Paul's, it always takes my breath away

stpauls, becareful you've got an admirer here ;)
Testing Accessibility