New GAA proposals will cause the dumbing down of inter-county standard

Started by AbbeySider, October 10, 2007, 12:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

I cant believe that the GAA are considering abolishing the county U-21 and U-18 grades. It will cause the senior inter county standard to drop as not as many young players would have gone through county training regimes.

At the moment we have young players that have played either U-18 or U-21 football for their county, that are able break onto county senior panels because of the training and experience they received from those playing at those grades at inter-county level.

If we abolish the two grades in place of an U-19 grade, not as many young players will ever have gotten the chance to play and gain experience and develop as players.

For instance if there is a panel of 25 players at minor grade playing for any particular county.
Those players will all have gained from their experience and developed immensely as players.
Then, three years later another panel of 25 players are playing at U-21 level. Let say, for the sake of argument that 10 of the players at U-21 level played minor level for their county three years previously. Even still there is 15 extra young players playing and training for their county for the first time that are all gaining experience and developing as inter county players.

Thats a total of approx 40 players (possibly more) with more potential to play as senior inter county players because of their development of skills, fitness and experience at playing in either grade.

If we have a single panel of 25, U-19 inter-county players it is not giving lads a chance or a bite at the apple because it will be much harder to break onto a single panel.

I do agree that some inter-county teams should be scrapped. The likes of U-16 county "development" panels should be scrapped because it is very rare that a player makes it from U-16 (so called) development panels up to U-21 or senior level. I heard a statistic that only one player made it from the U-16 development squad to a recent U-21 team in my county.
County vocational schools teams also need to be considered for the chop.

Denn Forever

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 10, 2007, 12:05:48 PM

Alarming.  Some quite good ideas but if the Vocational schools go, the the other 2nd level school will have to go e.g. Jarlaths, St Pats Navan etc.

Can't see that happening
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AbbeySider

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 10, 2007, 03:33:21 PM

Alarming.  Some quite good ideas but if the Vocational schools go, the the other 2nd level school will have to go e.g. Jarlaths, St Pats Navan etc.

Can't see that happening

Im talking about county vocational schools panels being given the chop.
Eg teams like the Mayo Vocational Schools team

That wouldnt effect the 2nd level schools teams like St Jarleths in their respective competitions.

Recently I read about Liam Moffatt in 1992 he played at U16, U17, U18, U21, junior and senior level with his club.

He also played minor and senior hurling with Ballina that year and county minor with Mayo. In addition, he also played U16 and senior football with the school and also with the Mayo vocational schools team. That's 12 teams and he was just 16.

Granted that might not happen today but do we need the likes of inter county vocational schools teams?
(not to be confused with 2nd level vocational schools teams)

darbyo

Not sure I agree with your general point AB. You say that....

QuoteIf we abolish the two grades in place of an U-19 grade, not as many young players will ever have gotten the chance to play and gain experience and develop as players.

...but then (correctly) go on to say that...

QuoteFor instance if there is a panel of 25 players at minor grade playing for any particular county.
Those players will all have gained from their experience and developed immensely as players.
Then, three years later another panel of 25 players are playing at U-21 level. Let say, for the sake of argument that 10 of the players at U-21 level played minor level for their county three years previously. Even still there is 15 extra young players playing and training for their county for the first time that are all gaining experience and developing as inter county players.

.....so even though 25 lads trained with the county at minor level, by the time they were 21 (only 3 years later) 15 of them could no longer make inter county standard. So that kind of nulify's your point about inter county training developing players. Anyway not all intercounty training at minor level is quality and there are many other factors involved in player development. I think this is'nt a bad idea, and is worth a trial period at least

AbbeySider

Quote from: darbyo on October 10, 2007, 06:00:30 PM
.....so even though 25 lads trained with the county at minor level, by the time they were 21 (only 3 years later) 15 of them could no longer make inter county standard. So that kind of nulify's your point about inter county training developing players. Anyway not all intercounty training at minor level is quality and there are many other factors involved in player development. I think this is'nt a bad idea, and is worth a trial period at least

There could be a number of reasons why the guys that played minor county and not U-21 county.
Some lads could be away in college for a few years or go away to work. Others might not want to commit at that time in their lives coming up to 21 years of age.

But my broader point is that you get more players at senior level from two proper development panels at U-18 and U-21 rather than a single county panel of U-19.

How often have you seen a 22 year old play senior inter county for the first time having NEVER played for the county at minor or U-21??

Granted it might happen once in a blue moon but its very, very rare. (I cant think of anyone from Mayo, playing senior inter county that wasnt involved at minor or U-21)

darbyo

Well Ryan McMenamien, Kieran Donaghy or the hurler from Galway (name escapes me) who played football for Galway a few years ago are a few recent examples,I'm sure there's a few more. But that's not the point, there is still an outlet for lads to play intercounty it's just now U19 rather than U18 and after that there is none except adult level of which there is two - Junior and Senior. I'm not sure if this is the best solution to the burnout issue but lads from 17-21 have too many teams wanting their services. On top of that intercounty U21 is a particularly disruptive grade for clubs, as the players can be part of a multitude of teams, there by holding up a number of competitions. The problem I have with your argument is that I don't think lads will be going on to senior level any weaker because they did'nt play IC again at U21 level, I just don't think that holds water, besides what harm is there giving it a go for lets say 5 years. The current situation is a complete joke and fellas football/hurling is suffering as a result, not to mention their studies, bodies, social life, work and opportunity to travel while still young.

DUBSFORSAM1

One question that isn't being asked is why the U21 championship is effectively being cancelled due primarily to the colleges competitions...

Another point is why there is so much emphasis on running, fitness etc rather than ball skills, control, touch, kicking ability etc???

stephenite

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 10, 2007, 08:04:25 PM

Granted it might happen once in a blue moon but its very, very rare. (I cant think of anyone from Mayo, playing senior inter county that wasnt involved at minor or U-21)

Ronan McGarrity as far as I know never represented the county at any underage level

Seamus

Kieran Donaghy played both minor and U21 for Kerry. Tom Sullivan never played minor, neither did Bomber Liston from days of yore.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

stephenite

Lads that didn't play minor are common enough in Mayo, Liam Mchale, James Nallen, David Brady, Pat Harte. The first two went onto win All Stars