Pete Finnerty to coach Mayo hurlers

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 09, 2007, 10:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

Ok armed with the reassurances that Mr Prenty's intentions are far from honourable I feel free to comment.
Connacht hurling (Galway excepted) is a disgrace, well the lack of it and fair play to those hardy few who toil the barren soil in the West. I wonder how many pronouncements Mr Prenty has made about hurling other than this one? I wonder what his plans in this capacity as provincial secretary for the game are? I really hope the lack of action to promote the game is reflected when revenues are doled out from the Championship and league!
Ulster I suppose is not much better but at least Antrim and Down seem to be making efforts, plus it has to be recognised the problems that people faced when carrying a hurl could result in you being attacked or killed!

neilthemac

i'm eating humble pie here

but mayo are going very well. beating westmeath today

Tubberman

Yeah thats a great result for Mayo, the big effort being put in over the last couple of years seems to be paying dividends. They were unlucky in their previous games, so this will give all the players a big boost. Westmeath are Christy Ring champs, so that should be the aim for Mayo this year. Hopefully, they will get more support within the county (the likes of me included!), they deserve it for all the effort they put in 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: neilthemac on March 09, 2008, 04:44:44 PM

Me too! That was a savage result - obviously Mayo hurling is seriously on the up. Looks like the Rossies will be relegated from this groups after all. Anyway great result and great for hurling

the ship

should be a good game  kind of a b connaught final mayo to win and relegate the rossies happy days 

the Deel Rover

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on March 10, 2008, 12:01:01 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on March 09, 2008, 04:44:44 PM

Me too! That was a savage result - obviously Mayo hurling is seriously on the up. Looks like the Rossies will be relegated from this groups after all. Anyway great result and great for hurling

Yes great result did Keith Higgins scoring 2-7  he must be a fair hurler ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the ship

heard he's not a bad footballer either

neilthemac

the ship

mayo 2-17 rossies 0-9 now my friends i really dont want to say i told you so but what the hell "i told you so"  :D :D :D

dodo

Maybe the Rossies should stay with the pool cues.
They'll definitely get better publicity !  :P

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: the ship on March 15, 2008, 04:24:57 PM
mayo 2-17 rossies 0-9 now my friends i really dont want to say i told you so but what the hell "i told you so"  :D :D :D

Well ship, seems Mayo are on the right road after all - I would say for a number of years Roscommon were exactly where Mayo are now. The problem was we could not substain the level we reached. Time will tell if Mayo can - seems to me a Christy ring title within the next 3 years should be the goal. Playing Galway in a connacht championship is still years away.

I still take exception to your point that Ros are like a junior team compared to Mayo - the truth been we lost 8 players from last years panel and this is a young team. If you take 8 players from any panel(even Kilkenny, Cork) then I think you would see a drop in standard.

Anyway, well done - hope hurling continues to strive in Mayo ;)

the ship

thank you mr heiniken for your good wishes and may i add mine to roscommon and hope that it wont be long before ye are competing with mayo at hurling and if i can be so bold football again.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: the ship on March 18, 2008, 06:40:12 PM
thank you mr heiniken for your good wishes and may i add mine to roscommon and hope that it wont be long before ye are competing with mayo at hurling and if i can be so bold football again.

Absolutely ship, I can only dream of reaching finals. Of course I also dream that we actually win them when we get there .........................ah surely dreams come true some time ;)

Ash Smoker

Who is over Mayo hurlers this year?
I heard they had to cancel a training trip to Portugal last week because the GAA wouldn't sanction it!  >:(

Farrandeelin

That's the footballers Ash Smoker. Pete Finnerty is still over the hurlers, with Frank Brennan from Westport.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.