Pete Finnerty to coach Mayo hurlers

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 09, 2007, 10:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: the ship on February 17, 2008, 05:04:13 PM
obviously you dont follow the hurling scene

I think you should do a little research ship before making stupid statements - It is obvious Mayo have made great strides over the last few years in hurling and Ros(while been successful in Nicky Rackard - a competition they were too strong for) have gone backwards a bit - at the present stage I dont think there is actually much between the two teams. I would say the loser of this match will be the team that gets relegated.. However your asseration Mayo junior team would be Roscommon shows your hurling knowledge is weak to say the least

And then neilthemac asks you to provide a few basic stats to back up your views and you cant .................which doesnt surprise me

Son_of_Sam

Who was Pete calling a small county the last night. I know his here for the hurling but come on  ???

neilthemac

Yeah, Roscommon may not be world beaters but when was the last time Mayo beat Ros in hurling at Senior county or U21 or minor level? Didn't Roscommon relegate Mayo to Division 3 a few years ago in a winner takes all game??

come back to me when you find the answers

highking

Last Senior Meeting - Conacht Hurling Cup Shield Final 2007 - Mayo Won
Last Senior Championship Meeting - CRC Relegation 2004 - Ross won
Last U21 Meeting - Connacht U21B Final 2005 - Mayo Won
(Didnt meet in 2007 as Mayo team was withdrawn)
(Didnt meet in 2006 as Ross withdrew)
Last U18 Meeting - Havent met in recent years AFAIK

Roscommon should be better than Mayo as they have a better club championship and a larger player base. There is little at the moment between the sides, but Ross are rebuilding due to the retirement/departure of many of their players.

the ship

mayo club champions have also been continuallly beating roscommon champions over the last number of years and my friend heinken i did not consider those remarks stupid nor is my knowledge of hurling weak in my opinion.

neilthemac

Mayo couldn't field a team at U21 last year? from the whole county?

highking

Mayo had a very strong team last year (nearly all the AI U21B finalists from 2006 were underage again), but there was no management put in place by the county board. A few of the older players attempted to prepare the team, but the County Board made the decision to concede the semi-final against Roscommon. Poor county officers was the cause of it. In fact the U21 hurling championship was played for the first time last year, in which four clubs took part. U21 hurling has never been as strong in Mayo. Lets hope the one man hurling board has time to make a few calls this year and get an U21 management in place.

neilthemac

yeah. cause Roscommon won that competition out. they could have done with another game

Bord na Mona man

Prenty slams hurling loan system
22 February 2008

Connacht Council secretary John Prenty has criticised the ruling that allows hurlers to be loaned out to weaker counties.

In a system that echoes soccer loan moves, non-traditional counties are permitted to borrow hurlers who are surplus to requirement in the more established counties. Prenty is adamant that the policy is in no way beneficial to the weaker counties:

"These fly-by-nights are being entertained under the tenuous logic that they will promote the game at intercounty level.

"How can a player who is just passing through - who has no contact with a club within a county - be more valuable than a young player who has been nurtured by his club, who has an ambition to play for his county?

"This player has to look on as he sees one third of his county team populated by players with no allegiance to the county they play for.

"This scheme is only of benefit to players with no allegiance to the county and team managers who are seeking short-term gain with no interest in developing the game in the long term

Bord na Mona man

I'm just curious as to what Prenty's motivations are.
I saw it alleged elsewhere that he is not amenable to the spread of hurling in his dealings in Mayo.

neilthemac

alleged?

its feckin common knowledge west of the shannon

how can a FULL TIME officer get away with criticising the association?

highking

Who is this prenty fellow answerable to. Can he not respect the rules of the GAA. Who is going to make him toe the line?

This wouldnt have anything to do with the transfer of a Dublin hurler into his own club in recent weeks, to strengthen his chances of making the Mayo team.

scalder

BnM – I was wondering about this too, it might be genuine concern but I've a feeling his motives are less pure! Is he afraid that these players might actually help improve the fortunes of Connacht hurling and so force a greater share of the cake to go to hurling? I could be doing the man a disservice but the state of Connacht hurling would lead you to have concerns.

the ship

dont worry mr prenty is not one bit nterested in hurling in mayo or anywhere else for that mater you can be sure he has an agenda, ask the hurling people of ballyhaunis who have had to suffer under his regime and do they suffer

neilthemac

himself and the brother?

control of Connacht GAA and Ballyhaunis club

Prenty is a gobsheen.