Pete Finnerty to coach Mayo hurlers

Started by GalwayBayBoy, October 09, 2007, 10:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

This thread seems to give the impression that there is widescale opposition to hurling in Mayo, there isn't.

Fair enough there is antipathy from the CB and downright hostility from the odd high profile Gaa person in the county. There is also a lot of ignorance among the wider Mayo Gaa fraternity but there is huge work being done by devoted hurling people and we were only just a few minutes away from playing Dublin to get into Div one last year (minus our only Railway Cup player at the time).

Certainly most of the Mayo Gaa supporters aren't taking much notice but don't confuse that for opposition.
MWWSI 2017

mannix

you would be surprised how many people follow the hurlers fortunes, Mayo are moving in the right direction.

tayto

Good stuff, It's some craic following both codes, anyone who dosent is missing out on half the fun!

Onlooker

Well said Tayto, I agree 100%.  Would be great to see the return of the dual player at county level.

stephenite

Quote from: Onlooker on January 08, 2008, 08:05:35 PM
Well said Tayto, I agree 100%.  Would be great to see the return of the dual player at county level.

Would he get two grants? :P

Farrandeelin

Any Mayo hurling fans contribute to the site? Anyway I was wondering what Finnerty would think of his early (January) form, they won one game and lost two, all by narrow margins and all against college teams. First league game is against Wicklow AFAIK on the 10th of February and I'm sure the players would have benefitted from those games anyway, despite not winning them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

highking

All going well in the Mayo camp afaik. Today will tell if theres any improvement against Wicklow. However, a five hour early morning bus journey to Arklow is hardly the ideal start. Many of the players went up last night and stayed in Dublin. Ger Whyte is supposed to be playing for Wicklow today so there could be sparks.

slow corner back

Wicklow won by two. Wicklow have improved recently and from the radio reports it was quite a good match

stevecw

That was good effort by Mayo today. As far as i know they led for a good part of that game. Not bad v a team that got to the Div 2 league final last year.
3rd place in that division should be the aim for Mayo as id say Westmeath & Wicklow should be top 2. Tough enough division all the same with Kildare & Kerry there too. Roscommon should end up bottom. Seems that 2A is lot tougher than 2B. Any of 5 teams could top 2A. Only Down, Carlow & Meath would have a chance in 2B id reckon.

neilthemac

QuoteRoscommon should end up bottom

I'll put my money on Roscommon to beat Kerry and Mayo

Bord na Mona man

Wicklow beat Leix in last year's league, so they are one of the better Division 2 sides.
Hopefully this performance is a sign of progress from Mayo.

the ship

Quote from: neilthemac on February 10, 2008, 11:41:14 PM
QuoteRoscommon should end up bottom

I'll put my money on Roscommon to beat Kerry and Mayo

roscommon are miles behind mayo the mayo junior team would be roscommon

neilthemac

Quoteroscommon are miles behind mayo the mayo junior team would be roscommon

evidence?

the ship

obviously you dont follow the hurling scene