Supporting England?

Started by corn02, October 09, 2007, 11:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

I see in one of the Rugby threads the question is who to support England or France. The answers are mainly expected but there has been a few votes for the English. Does anyone have any liking for England in any sport?

For me I like English golfers, Westwood, Rose and Poulter are up there with three of my favourite golfers.

Balboa

They are totally different when it comes to individual sports, could never support England in any sport.

maxpower

i would describe myself as indifferent to them, except the football team and thats mainly out of dislike for Ian Wright and John Motson

What happens next????

deiseach

I always support England against Australia and when Mrs d is in the room, which she hates

saffron

have to be honest and say I dont mind seeing the English football team do well - not that it happens much. not sure I want to see them win anything mind you.

Also support the cricket team - especially against the Australians who I couldnt see beat enough

Star Spangler

Yous are some laugh!  Most of you running after English soccer clubs like headless chickens!  FFS!!!

Declan

No problem supporting the English rugby team at all - Always remember the 70s team coming over when no one else would.

Soccer team - Again can't understand the vehemence against the national team given the fact that most lads "support" a premier league team. The only thing that annoys me is the SKY/BBC/ITV bias so when push comes to shove it can be easier to enjoy their demise.

Other sports - wouldn't bother me either way

Uladh

I might be able to see my way to support england rugger team on isolated occasions if it weren't for that trio of sky twats barnes, morris and their upperclass commentator mate. they boil my blood with their shite talk.

by the way i would really really really really really love it if alonso beats their newest golden boy this weekend.

deiseach

So if someone supports an English football team, you must follow England?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function" - F Scott Fitzgerald

:D

Declan

QuoteSo if someone supports an English football team, you must follow England?

No deiseach - I never said you had to follow them I just can't understand the virulent anti-englishness everytime their teams play. Having said that I can understand how their jingoistic media could annoy you alright

Main Street

I don't mind English teams doing well. I don't mind them doing badly. Doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
I have so many relations and friends there that I don't want to be the fart who wants your team to lose no matter who they are playing.
Whenever they do well then I don't have to listen to them rub it in, I'll just say 'well done, totally deserved', or 'ah painfull those penalty shoot outs aren't they' :)
I don't understand those who actually think they support an English football team by watching TV. I just don't get it. You may as well support the English national team as well, taking that to a logical conclusion IF you don't follow Irish soccer. Nothing to get all insulted about.
As a kid I played gaelic but I went to LOI games and identified with the most local team. Now you get a National soccer team supported in the main by people who follow English soccer, who will loudly boo Jaap Stam in the opposition because he leaves a favoured club team. Only in Ireland.

qub la la la

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Uladh on October 09, 2007, 12:14:17 PM

I might be able to see my way to support england rugger team on isolated occasions if it weren't for that trio of sky twats barnes, morris and their upperclass commentator mate. they boil my blood with their shite talk.

by the way i would really really really really really love it if alonso beats their newest golden boy this weekend.

Rugby in England is mostly the preserve of the working class
unlike in Ireland where esp in leinster it is only now allowed to let the common oiks into the elitist clubs

I like the god old ordinary engander, esp the rugby crew

AZOffaly

I like the West Country Rugby folk, the likes of Bristol, Bath and Gloucester.

In general I don't mind seeing England do well in anything, apart from the fact that their media would sicken your sh1t. Having said that, I'd say a foreigner living in Ireland could easily say the same about Irish media and Irish teams, such as the hype for the Rugby lads, and the ridiculous hysteria about Stan Staunton.

Gabriel_Hurl

Yeah - it's the English media that gets on my wick