WINDSOR PARK UNDER THREAT

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, October 07, 2007, 10:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE MIGHTY QUINN

This from the BBC Northern Ireland web site.  I'll not sleep tonight

The future of Windsor Park as the national stadium is under threat with an expert report set to propose that the South Stand be closed from January.
The report could lead to the stadium capacity being cut by 4,000 to just 9,000 on health and safety grounds.

The move would heighten fears that future international games may have to be played outside Northern Ireland.

Millions of pounds are needed to upgrade Windsor as any new national stadium would take years to construct.

The report was commissioned by Linfield and the Irish Football Association and IFA chief executive Howard Wells told the Sunday Life that "it sounds as though our worst fears are about to be confirmed".

"We are still awaiting a costing on the work required to keep Windsor up to the basic standard required to host international football with no idea where the money is coming from," he told the newspaper.

"Somewhere along the line the Government and our local politicians are going to have to come to a decision on the National Stadium issue."

Debate continues to rage over the site of any new national stadium with the Maze the Government's preferred option.

Hurler on the Bitch

Smoking was banned only earlier in the year from the South Stand. I was in it in May and was 'shocked' to see that the floor etc is made of wood! There used to be a stand beside it called the "Gold Bond" stand - as it had a big cigarette ad on it and that was pulled down in 1985 in a panic after the Bradford fire. Fact is that the place should be levelled! Too many Freemasons making money outta Norn Iron at Windsor! 15% of everything to the Bloos? Programmes to hamburgers .. you name it! Let's be real... an international stadium that still has intact the piece of terracing that Belfast Celtic's Jimmy Jones was trailed over and assaulted on in 1948 is past its sell-by date. I say open Croker up to NI - I'm sure the bottom deck of the Cusack could accommodate the crowd easily...

spiritof91and94

surely 9000 is ample for that lot!

EC Unique

Rent them out casement and take thier money. :D :D :D

Balboa

Quote from: EC Unique on October 08, 2007, 11:28:51 AM
Rent them out casement and take thier money. :D :D :D

Casement? Corrigan Park could probably cope with the crowds and is in a similar shape.......

Hurler on the Bitch

Dunloy v Loughiel yesterday ... must have been 12,000 at it --- !!! Was there wall to wall media coverage? Nah...............................

Gnevin

Quote from: 5iveTimes on October 08, 2007, 11:59:08 AM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on October 08, 2007, 11:46:59 AM
Dunloy v Loughiel yesterday ... must have been 12,000 at it --- !!! Was there wall to wall media coverage? Nah...............................

Not unless there was a melee or one of the players was given a bit of abuse for being a different religion.
I was watching UTV news during the week, not a programme I usually watch. Rangers Champions League win the night before was the main sports story, it got about 3 maybe 4 minutes. Geezers appointment as Kildare manager got roughly 25 seconds and Mickey McVeighs retirement got all of 5 seconds.
5 seconds?  ::) A slight underestimation perhaps?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

The BBC's and UTV's negative reporting upped a notch when they lost the right to live Ulster Championship games to RTÉ, a silly move by the GAA. I'm just wondering what the stance will be now that Sky has poached IFA games and Norn Iron games. I recall BBC NI being extremely angry about this and threatening the IFA. Will their reporing change now too, towards local soccer?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Just on a side note, did anyone else see UTV Live on Friday.. I think it was?

Did you feel that they were making a big song and dance about the fact that Marty Clarke supports Norn Iron over RoI? It was a report about his first year down under.
Testing Accessibility

MW

[
I was watching UTV news during the week, not a programme I usually watch. Rangers Champions League win the night before was the main sports story, it got about 3 maybe 4 minutes.

All three goals, and replays of each shown.

Meanwhile the same night they didn't even bother their arses showing all the goals from the Glentoran-Cliftonville match.

ziggysego

Quote from: MW on October 08, 2007, 01:16:40 PM
[
I was watching UTV news during the week, not a programme I usually watch. Rangers Champions League win the night before was the main sports story, it got about 3 maybe 4 minutes.

All three goals, and replays of each shown.

Meanwhile the same night they didn't even bother their arses showing all the goals from the Glentoran-Cliftonville match.

At least they showed some ;)
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ziggysego on October 08, 2007, 12:53:11 PM
Just on a side note, did anyone else see UTV Live on Friday.. I think it was?

Did you feel that they were making a big song and dance about the fact that Marty Clarke supports Norn Iron over RoI? It was a report about his first year down under.

Sorry Ziggy just referred to that on the UTV BBC thread. You can see it here:

http://u.tv/utvlive_stream/asx/20071005-hi.asx

SammyG

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on October 07, 2007, 11:07:46 PM
Smoking was banned only earlier in the year from the South Stand. I was in it in May and was 'shocked' to see that the floor etc is made of wood!
You must have been extremely shocked, probably severely traumatised, so much so that you were seeing things. The floor of the stand isn't made of wood!!!!!!
There used to be a stand beside it called the "Gold Bond" stand - as it had a big cigarette ad on it and that was pulled down in 1985 in a panic after the Bradford fire.
Again complete bollix. The covered terrace (opposite the South Stand) was damaged in a fire and was then pulled down to make way for the North Stand, but it wasn't wooden and it's removal had nothing to do with Bradford.
Fact is that the place should be levelled!
Why is it a 'fact'? WP has two modern stands, one not so modern but still perfectly serviceable stand and one unserviceable stand. Hardly grounds for being levelled. How many covered seats does Casement have?
Too many Freemasons making money outta Norn Iron at Windsor!
That's a fairly serious allegation, I presume you have some evidence to back it up.
15% of everything to the Bloos? Programmes to hamburgers .. you name it!
On that we can all agree. A truely disgraceful contract which was negotiated by the government.
Let's be real... an international stadium that still has intact the piece of terracing that Belfast Celtic's Jimmy Jones was trailed over and assaulted on in 1948 is past its sell-by date.
Bizarre statement, given that terracing hasn't been used for years.
I say open Croker up to NI - I'm sure the bottom deck of the Cusack could accommodate the crowd easily...
Excellent idea.

ziggysego

Quote from: SammyG on October 08, 2007, 03:59:55 PM
I say open Croker up to NI - I'm sure the bottom deck of the Cusack could accommodate the crowd easily...
Excellent idea.

:D
Testing Accessibility

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: SammyG on October 08, 2007, 03:59:55 PM
Smoking was banned only earlier in the year from the South Stand. I was in it in May and was 'shocked' to see that the floor etc is made of wood!
You must have been extremely shocked, probably severely traumatised, so much so that you were seeing things. The floor of the stand isn't made of wood!!!!!!
There used to be a stand beside it called the "Gold Bond" stand - as it had a big cigarette ad on it and that was pulled down in 1985 in a panic after the Bradford fire.
Again complete bollix. The covered terrace (opposite the South Stand) was damaged in a fire and was then pulled down to make way for the North Stand, but it wasn't wooden and it's removal had nothing to do with Bradford.
Fact is that the place should be levelled!
Why is it a 'fact'? WP has two modern stands, one not so modern but still perfectly serviceable stand and one unserviceable stand. Hardly grounds for being levelled. How many covered seats does Casement have?
Too many Freemasons making money outta Norn Iron at Windsor!
That's a fairly serious allegation, I presume you have some evidence to back it up.
15% of everything to the Bloos? Programmes to hamburgers .. you name it!
On that we can all agree. A truely disgraceful contract which was negotiated by the government.
Let's be real... an international stadium that still has intact the piece of terracing that Belfast Celtic's Jimmy Jones was trailed over and assaulted on in 1948 is past its sell-by date.
Bizarre statement, given that terracing hasn't been used for years.
Excellent idea.

I wish to correct you on a number of issues ... the "PARK DRIVE" stand on the unreserved end (NORTH STAND) was burned in February 1982 ... Glens supporters got the blame after a "Big Two" clash... The "Gold Bond" stand was adjacent to the viewing gallery and was knocked down by order (check it out) in 1985! .. for years there was a gap until they extended the South Stand...
............... The South Stand is made outta wood ... (a fairly combustable proportion of it!!) ... Prove to me that the GOVERNMENT negotiated a 100 year contract with LINFIELD ... AND FIND ME A BARRISTER WHO COULD DEFEND IT IN COURT (100 YEAR CARTE BLANCHE CONTRACT .. I ASK YOU) ... Freemasons? ... yes .. disprove it! and the Jimmy Jones incident ... the terrace may not have been used in years but the fact is that it is still there! Really you have a very limited knowledge of your beloved Windsor!!