Unionist MLA "tired of listening to Irish"

Started by Balboa, October 04, 2007, 09:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balboa

MLA 'tired of listening to Irish' 

David McNarry wants ministers to stop speaking in Irish
An Ulster Unionist assembly member has said he is tired of listening to Stormont ministers speaking in Irish.
David McNarry has tabled a motion for debate seeking to have the practice stopped.

Mr McNarry said there was plenty of recognition already for the language and is also opposing proposed legislation for an Irish Language Act.

Caral Ni Chuillin said Sinn Fein would vigorously oppose the motion which she described as "unacceptable".

J70

Hurler on the Bitch

DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE? This is more shite from the sixth-form debating college. Petty points of order and debates are the height of the agenda. Where is the New Ireland of equals? - and speaking Irish does not mean equality!? How many people are not on Valium or Prozac in the New Ireland which has been secured? Ireland's dead? Jesus wept!.. If I could just say that as a sympathyser to the Sinners etc .. I cringe when I hear the Dog Irish accents give a pathetic "Mo Chara" introduction to their speeches!!! It really is an embarrassing talking shop with more photos than substance!   ... Lip service to a language - which is in reality just to wind the likes of McNarry up - is a disgrace.. Sinn Fein - sort out the scum in the West rather than scoring Brownie points in the Bastion of Unionism.. yours very Dismayed!!!!  

deiseach

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on October 04, 2007, 10:13:22 PM
This is more shite from the sixth-form debating college. Petty points of order and debates are the height of the agenda.

You give the Assembly too much credit. If a row broke out between two debating societies over what colour to paint the debating room, it would still be more earth-shattering than the nonsense spouted in the chamber [pots] in Stormont.

Balboa

All the wankers (both sides) are worried about is when the next expenses cheque is coming, they could give two fucks about the ills in their constituencies.

Puckoon

Quote from: Balboa on October 04, 2007, 10:29:50 PM
All the wankers (both sides) are worried about is when the next expenses cheque is coming, they could give two fucks about the ills in their constituencies.

Its really very obvious that the people in the assembly dont really care about the grass root issues in the north. Arseholes speaking half assed sentences with a drop of irish in them, and arseholes complaining about it while good people get stabbed in the head with screwdrivers. Plus all the other arseholes who are going round in circles on the denationalisation of irish rugby thread!

Sky Blue

I watched it once live on the web. The amazing thing is that all of them think reading speeches written by somebody else is debating! Most parliaments don't permit reading - it's nonsense.
None of them appear to have any grasp of issues that really impact on their constituents.

Frank Casey

I'm just tired of hearing them speak any bloody language. If this is all they have to worrk about. Still I suppose jaw jaw is better than the alternative.
KERRY 3:7

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2007, 10:32:35 PM
DOES ANYONE REALLY CARE? This is more shite from the sixth-form debating college. Petty points of order and debates are the height of the agenda. Where is the New Ireland of equals? - and speaking Irish does not mean equality!? How many people are not on Valium or Prozac in the New Ireland which has been secured? Ireland's dead? Jesus wept!.. If I could just say that as a sympathyser to the Sinners etc .. I cringe when I hear the Dog Irish accents give a pathetic "Mo Chara" introduction to their speeches!!! It really is an embarrassing talking shop with more photos than substance!   ... Lip service to a language - which is in reality just to wind the likes of McNarry up - is a disgrace.. Sinn Fein - sort out the scum in the West rather than scoring Brownie points in the Bastion of Unionism.. yours very Dismayed!!!!  
I bet ya you text into the Andytown News.
No! there's too much Shinners texting as it is !! bit of reality helps the true debate!

Aerlik

Am tallin ye, ah wanner av at wiz Ullans themuns wiz ganchin an in wudd hay bay as kratikall? Nah, deed sowl hay wuddnayah been.  Thon gipe.  Ah wush summidy wudd dra tha slack a thur hon in belt im wan.  Galloot, gulpin, gipe. Lay aff the mo'r tung.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Chrisowc

Agree 100%

Do they open their speech in Irish then repeat in English or do they just move onto another point?

I heard the race card being played lastnight too.  Someone mentioned Anna Lo and that if anyone had 'attacked' her language then people would be screaming from the roof-tops. 

I doubt Anna Lo tries to score cheap points by opening her speeches in Manderin
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

deiseach

Quote from: Aerlik on October 05, 2007, 08:39:12 AM
Am tallin ye, ah wanner av at wiz Ullans themuns wiz ganchin an in wudd hay bay as kratikall? Nah, deed sowl hay wuddnayah been.  Thon gipe.  Ah wush summidy wudd dra tha slack a thur hon in belt im wan.  Galloot, gulpin, gipe. Lay aff the mo'r tung.

*snigger*

Hardy

Tokenism as represented by the cúpla focal, be it in the  GAA or the Assembly, is one of the things that can get me shouting at the telly. But then I think, isn't it great that we're complaining about the standard of debate in an agreed assembly, instead of what we (well, you up there) had to put up with for 30 years? The more boring and irritating it gets, the better it serves as a contrast to what it replaced and a reminder to all.

Declan

QuoteNone of them appear to have any grasp of issues that really impact on their constituents.

Sure isn't that democracy for you!!!