Playing Ringers

Started by Lecale2, October 04, 2007, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

A good few years ago Queen's University were hosting the Sigerson Cup final and to enhance their chances of winning they asked a couple of very good u21s playing for Belfast clubs to line out for them.
One of the lads asked to help out was the brilliant St John's forward known as Cocker Murray. Cocker agreed to play and lined out at top of the right. Before he went on to the field in the final he got a bit worried and asked the coach "I'm not at Queen's what will I say if they think I'm a ringer"? The coach told him to tell them he was a student studying mathematics.

15 minutes into the game Cocker had scored 1-04 and the UCC where concerned he was a ringer. They changed markers and the new lad introducted himself to Cocker with a shoulder that would have sank the Titanic - even if it had been built properly. Under instructions from the sideline he says - "Are you at Queen's"? "I am" replies Cocker. "So what are you studying"? says the UCC man.
"Sums"! replies Cocker.

Sky Blue

Great story and I have a few but I have to say I'd be killed if I posted them!
I will tell one. A few years ago we were playing in the Intermidate Q/F so one of our lads brother's who had played senior for another club was lined out. after 5 minutes he was booked for an easy tackle - The ref says "what's your name?" Our man says "Ye know my feckin name you gave it to me!"

His Da was the ref!

Guillem2

True story alright but I think he was a McDermot's man.  ;)
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

zoyler

Many, many years ago I seem to remember that well known Armagh hurler Jimmy Carisle being played in an underage competition.  Not only did they shave his legs, he also had to wear a cap for obvious reasons

Billys Boots

My Da told me that story about the milkman in UCG in the late 1950s.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

Kevin Forde
John McQuaid
Des Reilly
Damien Duffy

are just the pseudonames I recall having played as...
theres about double that again again I forget !

Hollow Man

I've heard that story about Christy Ring as well

Pure shite I'd say, but a good story

thebandit

One day I played an under 12 game in Monaghan at 11am, and under 14 game in Armagh at 2pm and an under 14 game in Monaghan at 6pm. I was 13 so I was illegal for 2 of them.

full back

Quote from: thebandit on October 05, 2007, 10:44:21 AM
One day I played an under 12 game in Monaghan at 11am, and under 14 game in Armagh at 2pm and an under 14 game in Monaghan at 6pm. I was 13 so I was illegal for 2 of them.

You trying to catch someone out bandit?

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on October 05, 2007, 10:44:21 AM

You also forgot to mention that you lost all three of them  ;D Can i just add my own club would never facilitate such blatant law breaking  ;)

I know Eoin Quigleys (Wexford hurler) brother fairly well and he just to tell us about his dad's (John Quigley?) frequent trips to London to earn a few pound. He would be popping over for different clubs the whole time and would often play a football and hurling game on the same weekend. As the GAA began to clamp down, he was flown over for a final one year, playing a team he had already played for. He was togged out with a wig, hairband (no helmets in those days) and told to stay in full forward. At the final whistle he ran straight off the pitch and into a waiting taxi to get back to airport and out of sight.

SimpleSimon

Its not too long ago a few fella's I know were doing the same in London, flying back and forward for hurling games.

From what i've been told I believe in the 70's it was a joke the amount of fella's in the border area that played in Armagh and Monaghan.

I've been told on a few occassions about a relegation play-off in Armagh and the Monaghan senior fullback was marking the Armagh senior fullforward. The week before they had played together in the railway cup! He had actually won a Monaghan senior championship that year so he a high enough profile player.