Armagh v Louth @ 'Bridge

Started by bennydorano, October 04, 2007, 09:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I thought Cormac McAvoy had an excellent match and looked county material. Damian McCann took a while to settle and while he scored a couple of fine pints he is just a bit small when it comes to that level. Great turn out, the new fields look brilliant and in particular the ball net looks to be a marvellous feat of engineering. POG can you PM me sometime about the Conlon saga. Interestingly enough his da fell out with the club when he was U14 or U16 and joined Cullyhanna for at least a season.

diesel-smuggler

armagh team that started was:-

miceal reel (silverbridge), gareth smyth (mullaghbawn), martin gill (harps), kevin morris (harps), aaron kernan (crossmaglen), mark quinn (mullaghbawn), brendan mckeown (crossmaglen), paul keenan (carrickcruppen), charlie vernon (harps), stephen kernan (crossmaglen), brian mallon (tir na nog), cormac mcevoy (silverbridge), damian mccann (silverbridge), ronan austin (clan na gael), peter loughran (carrickcruppen)

subs was gareth oneill (dromintee), paudi rodgers (lissumon), paul courtney (ballyhegan), miceal o'rourke (dromintee), kieran toner (granemore), tony mcclelland (granemore), gerard mccreesh (mullaghbawn),

corn02

Young Austin must love the football having played a whole game for Clanns earlier in the day.

diesel-smuggler

funniest thing happened before the match started!

gareth oneill (a sub) marched around the field at the start behind the band with the 15 starters, only for him to realise half way round that the rest of the subs was on the bench!

they gave hime some stick when he walked across the field! good laugh!

Donagh

Great to see Brian Mallon back in an Armagh jersey. Himself and A Kernan were the touch of class that seperated the teams.

Donagh

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 07, 2007, 09:21:35 PM

I only seen about 10 minutes of the game but in those ten our Damien McCann took two fine points. 

Was wondering why he was captain/lasted the whole game - he was rank in the second half. May have picked up a knock though.

joebloggs

Quote from: Donagh on October 07, 2007, 09:39:16 PM
Great to see Brian Mallon back in an Armagh jersey. Himself and A Kernan were the touch of class that seperated the teams.

Have to agree there. Also thought that Stephen Kernan made some clever decisions too. Was that him that took the fifty for the goal? Also think that if Keenan could time his jumping a bit better he woulda caught a lot more ball but been told he hasnt had much football in recent years and is getting the benefit of armagh being out early and playing for his club.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on October 07, 2007, 09:29:10 PM
I thought Cormac McAvoy had an excellent match and looked county material. Damian McCann took a while to settle and while he scored a couple of fine pints he is just a bit small when it comes to that level. Great turn out, the new fields look brilliant and in particular the ball net looks to be a marvellous feat of engineering. POG can you PM me sometime about the Conlon saga. Interestingly enough his da fell out with the club when he was U14 or U16 and joined Cullyhanna for at least a season.

On Cormac McAvoy - Cormac has been playing great stuff for us for the last number of years.  I think he turns 25 now in a few months, he's never got his chance.  (Ask the Harps men about the goal he scored in Abbey Park a few years ago)
In the ten/fifteen minutes I saw  I thought he was actually very quiet.  That tells you what we're use to seeing from him in the blue and yellow.

On Damien McCann - Anyone would look at Damien and say he's too small for county football and you'd probably have your doubts about him with club football.  I've seen Damien knock men twice his size with a shoulder, run through the tackles of men twice his size etc  his size doesn't seem to be a factor.  Of course county football is totally different. 

Donagh
QuoteWas wondering why he was captain/lasted the whole game - he was rank in the second half. May have picked up a knock though.
I'm guessing a bridge player was given the role as captain because of the day that was in it.  I seen the first 10/15 minutes of the second half and he scored two excellent points - particularly one where he began the move on the half way line and finished it off. 

The three bridge players were elected by their team mates.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Hugh Morgan seems to have a big involvement in the Armagh set up. Is it really appropriate for a sponsor to be standing along the sideline with the management team and carrying the footballs off at the end of the match?

diesel-smuggler

thats hugh morgan for ya! if he had his own way he would be picking the team!

diesel-smuggler

what was the story with the louth subs tracksuits? are they being sponsored by retrogaa.com or are the county board too miserable to fork out for a new set of tracksuits?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on October 07, 2007, 10:16:49 PM
Hugh Morgan seems to have a big involvement in the Armagh set up. Is it really appropriate for a sponsor to be standing along the sideline with the management team and carrying the footballs off at the end of the match?
well he put the management there he might as well give them a hand! 

Quotewhat was the story with the louth subs tracksuits? are they being sponsored by retrogaa.com or are the county board too miserable to fork out for a new set of tracksuits?
Well if they can't manage a bus they're not going to get them tracksuits.

pintsofguinness

hang on till I get my programme...
Louth
1. S Reynolds
2. Dara Greene
3. David Mackin
4. Keith Whyte
5. John O'Brien
6. Conor McGuinness
7. JJ Quigley
8.  Brian Donnelly
9.  Brenda Nordone
10. Adrian reid
11. Jimmy Murray
12.  Chris Smyth
13.  Francis McCullough
14. Pat Matthews
15.  Brian Whyte

subs
brendan nash
mark stanfield  (Im saying nothing)
darren clarke
bernard osbourne
john neary
aaron hoey
aidan o'brien
cormac malone
alan page cooley

I've no idea if that's how the lined out or what.

I think the bridge can consider the day a success, we'd a great crowd and as I said above I hope everyone enjoyed it. 
I think that most 'bridge men and women's thoughts would have been of Peter Keeley today (the park is named in his honour) and he shouldn't be forgotten in all this.  Hopefully we done him proud. 

pintsofguinness

armaghniac

Keenan showed up well at times today, but his passing was wayward. Three successive times in the 2nd half the forward went on one side of the defender and Keenan planted a pass, exactly the right distance but on the other side of the back! Something to work on. Loughran would be worth a further trial. Not quite sure why Aaron was playing, the other players typically hadn't a secured place in the team last year or were coming back from injury like Mallon. No doubt conspiracy theorists will have a view on this one. It might have been worth trying Aaron at half forward.

Well done to Silverbridge.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B