Favourite Place to have a pint on the Croker Match Day??

Started by Louth Exile, October 03, 2007, 04:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

I was going to do this as a poll, but there are just far to many. You have the golden mile stretch from Dorset St through Dumcondra with 14 pubs in total I think, this is not to mention Ballbough, Fairview, Phibsboro, City Centre or where ever else people like to have a pint.

I personally have always detested Quinns, always thought that Mc Graths or Fagans was a better call.
There are pubs like The Red Parrott or Clonliffe House where on a normal day you would not frequent but are grand on a match day.
The ivy house is grand if you want to get away from the masses and have a bite to eat.
Cleary's under the bridge in Amien street for a good spit on the floor pub before you get the train home.
The Snug (RIP) or Berringhams on Upper Dorset St are places I used to frequent alot in the late nineties
Kelly's, Gaffney's or Meagher's are all worth a shot
Even in Croker itself, be it behind the stands or premium level (although I find its far easier to get a drink behind the stands compared to premium level)

So what do ye all go for??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ziggysego

I don't know if there's many like me, but I'm always tee-total before a match.

EDIT: If I'm ever down the night before, I enjoy the odd pint in Fagin's.
Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

Meaghers...always a chance to rub shoulders with a few of the great Dubs of the 70s.
The Aristocrat Years

thebandit

I like to get I good and early and get a pint above in the premium

Sean3

Kellys in Fairview is closed and has been for some time. Not sure why.

Bord na Mona man

PadraicHenryPearse

tom mayes a good walk to croker but all the rossie crowd gather there

john mcgill

If its a Saturday match a pint in McDaids.  I love that place during the day.  Sundays Meaghers or the premium level.  I'm at the Police concert this Saturday and I've been saving the units for a few scoops in Croker.

ONeill

The Maple Hotel. Out of the road and a few comical Croker regulars will entertain you. Good stout.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bensars

anyone ever in the hideaway ( think thats what its called) down a back street. I think a fella from fermanagh owns it.

Great wee spot without the hassle of some of the famous haunts

stephenite

The Findlater on Dorset St is a spot where a lot of the Ballina heads will be on a Mayo match day, there is also a crowd from Kerry that frequent there, always very nice to us without being overly condascending after handing out another hiding to us.

AbbeySider

I never ever drink before a match because it passes you by if ya have a few.
But when in Dublin I have good memories of the atmosphere in Quinns... good times. Id say we have been there 6 or 7 times before Mayo games in Croke Park

Declan

Very very rarely before a match. Afterwards - Meaghers, Gaffneys or Cat n Cage depending on whose in the company. Sunday Game is always watched in the local particularly good if its a Dub v Meath sunday ;)

orangeman

dodo

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on October 03, 2007, 06:15:29 PM
tom mayes a good walk to croker but all the rossie crowd gather there
That'd be about right.......still plenty of room for others !  :P

Used to be The Big Tree (kip), but these last few years The Hogan Stand/Phil Ryans.