Anyone knw much about VW Passats?

Started by Norf Tyrone, October 03, 2007, 02:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

How do you disable the passanger airbag?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ziggysego

Not trying to be funny or anything, but why would you want to?
Testing Accessibility

Norf Tyrone

QuoteNot trying to be funny or anything, but why would you want to?

I am going to get rid of the wife.....

....well actually it's for a rear facing child seat.

Candyman

hit the front bumper a good whack with a baseball bat.... mite need a new window though depending!!! :D

gerrykeegan

I was told by a road safety expert, best place for a baby in a rear facing seat is directly behind the driver. Not beside the driver even with the airbag turned off. Something to do with driver reaction in the event of a crash, you tend to turn away  to avoid injury to yourself. Aslo the distraction of the baby next to the driver is similiar to that of the radio/mobile phone it takes your eyes off the road. Baby in the back behind the driver facing the other way, nothing to distract you. 
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Donagh

There's a hole on the dash facing the passenger side door. Stick yer key into it.

Puckoon

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 03, 2007, 02:52:19 PM
QuoteNot trying to be funny or anything, but why would you want to?

I am going to get rid of the wife.....

....well actually it's for a rear facing child seat.

Norf, not recommended at all. Baby would be safer, much safer in the back (and the rest of the family too).

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Yeah and the mother in law in the boot

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 03, 2007, 03:23:11 PM
I was told by a road safety expert, best place for a baby in a rear facing seat is directly behind the driver. Not beside the driver even with the airbag turned off. Something to do with driver reaction in the event of a crash, you tend to turn away  to avoid injury to yourself. Aslo the distraction of the baby next to the driver is similiar to that of the radio/mobile phone it takes your eyes off the road. Baby in the back behind the driver facing the other way, nothing to distract you. 
That's no good if you're trying to keep an eye on the child.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

balladmaker

Was told at one of those anti-natal classes earlier this year that it is now illegal to have babies under a certain age in the front of the car, rear facing or not.  They should be in a rear facing seat in the back.  Apparently this came into law this year.

Can't remember what the age limit is though.

ONeill

Would never have a baby in the front, rear facing or not. Extremely dangerous, especially with the loonies we have raging the roads now. Even a small shunt could be fatal. Easy to stick a mirror on the backscreen if you really need to do so.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

hoopsaaa

Norf Tyrone

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/pdf/law-leaflet.pdf

Thanks chaps. The link attached doesn't indicate it's illegal to have a rear facing seat in the passenger seat, nor does it suggest it's bad practice. The seat I have doesn't seem to be as flush in the back seat as it does in the pass seat, hence.

Yous boys have me feeling like a bad parent now!!

I think I'll just keep the weins in the house....Or make them walk.

Puckoon

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

According to the wife and mother and MD to be, these guys (american association of pediatricians) are the gospel for everything I need to learn.
Check it out NT, it does say that you shouldnt use a rear facing child seat in the front seat of a car that has a passenger airbag. Hence I suppose, your initial question!

ONeill

I don't think it's illegal if you can switch the airbag off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.